Memories of 1977 - Where Were You?

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Joe Riley, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Active Member
    Registered

OMG Millbrook ! Yes I remember that they would do sponsorships for Snoopy and Peanuts (or vice versa)
    [​IMG]

In 1977 I was still in school, I remember that we had just celebrated the Bicentennial and we had been collecting the quarters and stuff that was released to celebrate that event. I still have some.

I had done a stitchery of Betsy Ross in school and a teachers magazine asked for permission to use it for the cover photo. Later the local newspaper did a spot on that stitchery and another kids project to celebrate the Bicentennial in the schools. It was also the first year I had a piece of written work published. I was not in high school as of yet. That year I starred in the school play Snow White. I tried out to be the evil witch, funny but everyone wanted that, somehow I ended up as Snow White, but it was okay because this boy I adored then was the Prince. Secretly I had hoped he would kiss me, but it didn't happen like that. Funny I just heard of someone with the same last name as that boy this past week, it made me wonder what had ever became of him and if he stayed as handsome.

Back then I listened to music like Genesis, Queen, Aerosmith and Boston. I liked the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac. I had a pen pal from England and that summer I went to visit. We still write till this day! Difference is it is on Facebook now. In the winter of 1976-77 I had my first bout of pneumonia that has haunted me all my life. We had a terrible blizzard in this area so we were all stuck in the house for a month. My aunt had bought me a needlepoint so I would not be bored while I was recovering. Till this day I still do a needlepoint every winter. In fact I just got this years from Amazon yesterday.

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

In 1977, I was married 7 years and living in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. I was a stay at home mom to my daughter who was 6 and my son who was 1. Life was pretty good.

We had just moved from an apartment in Chicago because although my daughters school was just catty corner to where we lived there was talk of busing the kids to a school a lot further away.

No way was I going to let my 6 yr old daughter ride a bus for an hour to God knows where when the school was just across the street.

We moved to a townhouse in Mt.Prospect, Il.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

In 1977, I was a single parent of a 13 year-old boy. I think I was living in Long Beach, but I moved to Anaheim sometime around that time. The company I worked for, Hoerner-Waldorf, had just been taken over by Champion International. We had voted the union in, and I was the chief shop steward by that time, I think. I later became Vice President of our UPIU Local but I think that was later on. I was attending Pacific Christian College at night. I was younger than I am now.

Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wow, that puts it into perspective for me, since we're the same age and you had a 13 year old, you could have been his older brother. When I was 26 my youngest sister was 11 and the middle one was 16.

5. Ken Anderson

Registered

Yes, when he was 13, I was twice his age. I adopted him when I was twenty and he was seven.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wow, you must have been mature for your age because most boys(men) at that age are still thinking about fun.

True that there are some that are fathers at that age but then there are a lot that are irresponsible too.

7. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Well-Known Member
    Registered

• I was 33 years old, married for 14 years, mother of three kids, living in Simi Valley California, and working for Litton Ind.

8. Ken Anderson

Registered

I suppose I was, in most ways, but I didn't feel that way. To some extent, I felt trapped though. It wasn't something that I felt like I'd be capable of doing, but neither was it something that I could walk away from without feeling regret for the rest of my life. I told the story here, so I won't go through it again.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

In 1977, I was in my second semester of junior college and preparing to attend a four year university. I was still living at home with my parents. My mom was in her second year of chemotherapy.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Active Member
    Registered

Back in 1977, I don't remember what job I was working, my daughter was 6 years old, so probably working as a key punch operator with a trucking company. I lived with my mother and used to go dancing every weekend. I also spend time with my daughter we always had a day for each other. I believe that was the year I first bought my car, it was a apple green VW, and my daughter would always stand up in the front seat and hold on to the handle above the window, no seat belts we used back then.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I've read the story before. I can imagine you would feel trapped, a child changes everything even when it's the normal family scenario. I loved being a mother and I was only 20 when I had my daughter and I didn't have to work but spending all day with just a baby and no adult interaction can be tough on a young person.

Then your husband comes home from work tired and you just want to talk and he just wants to relax. :)

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I was 22 years old..with a year old baby living in Married Quarters in the west coast and with a brand new husband who was in the navy and at sea for 7 months in the USA . I was alone with a a baby and very little money, so thank goodness for the sisterhood of the other Naval widows who also lived in Quarters..I'd have gone stark staring mad without them, and so far from my family.

I remember very clearly one morning hearing the announcer say ''the King is Dead''...Elvis Presley King of Rock and Roll has died.

So... later that morning when I went down to meet up with one of the sisterhood at her house for coffee..who in reality I only knew superficially, I just casually mentioned that I'd heard the news about Elvis.

OMG!!! How was I to know she was his number one fan!!!? I'd barely got the words out, and she started screaming hysterically as though I'd just told her, her mother had been shot.!! :eek: I didn't know what to do...I'd never been an Elvis fan, and I was thinking..hang on you're losing your mind young lady..this is someone you don't know, whose music you may have enjoyed but that's all there is to it..be sad , be sorry..but my Goodness pull yourself together this isn't a member of your family!! I was astounded that anyone could get so distraught in front of her own children about a pop stars' death!!