Memories...light The Corners Of My Mind...

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Babs Hunt, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

awwwww beautiful....

We have a Vintage VW camper van,,it's my husbands' van actually, if it were mine I'd love to paint it just like that... my husband otoh, would never allow it...

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Pretty picture, Babs, you really have a trained eye for pretty things.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I totally LOVE that VW bus, @Babs Hunt ! ! I remember when those were first introduced here in the United States, and the billboard ads for them read “ A Face only a mother could love”, and it showed one with kids, if I remember right.
    I had an old one when my kids were little, and I loved it ! We could fit in all of the neighbor kids, and I took them all to the Wednesday night kids’ Group at church, and that little bus was packed with happy kids each week.

We don’t go anywhere that we need a camper van for anymore; but I still look at your picture and think I would like having one again, Babs.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Babs Hunt likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

This is ours... My husband bought it in the 80's basically a scrap VW sit up and beg blue standard Camper then 16 years old ... and rebuilt the whole thing inside and out.... it's now 48 years old... and we get constant requests from people who want to buy it...

van-1_zps41ef58e7.jpg

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My dad had a vintage VW camper van, red and white, in really good shape except for the brakes. Even at their best, you really had to push on those brakes and these brakes were FAR past their best.

So, while visiting them, I borrowed the van to take lunch to my husband who was fishing for the day down at the bay. Everything was fine until I got to the shore and couldn't stop. I was literally standing on the brakes and screaming. Luckily, only the front wheels and the bumper were in the water when I finally stopped.

After my dad died, the van was sold to some folks who fixed the brakes (thank goodness) and painted it up into a real "hippie van". I'd see it around the area and have to smile, thinking about how much my dad would have liked what they did to it.