Melania Trump Slammed For Opening With Lord's Prayer

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Melania Trump opened with the Lord's Prayer during the recent Trump rally in Florida and, to no surprise, she is being slammed by the media for everything imaginable, including plagiarizing the Lord's Prayer, as well as for her accent, and the inappropriateness of bringing religion into a political speech.

Source: Fox News

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I do have to agree with the comment about her having to read it, unless she never learned it in English but in her native language.

She also made a booboo...added "For thine is the power, etc.

Not how I learned it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

That's how I always heard it, @Chrissy Cross . "For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen."

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thine kingdom come, Thine will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.

If I had to say it in front of a crowd, I would absolutely want it printed on a piece of paper.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I learned it like this....

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Registered

No, that simply shows that she's not Catholic.

The doxology that you are referring to (For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever, Amen) is found in manuscripts using the Byzantine text of Matthew 6:13, but not in the manuscripts used by the Catholic church.

Not all Protestant churches use translations that include that either, but many do.

Denise Happyfeet likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Registered

Could you stand up and say it in front of millions of people? :D

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, I couldn't even read it in front of a million people. :)

I always mess up on the Lord's Prayer but I can rattle off the Hail Mary probably in my sleep,

Actually The Apostles Creed was always my favorite and I still know that one better than the Lord's Prayer even though it's longer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. Shirley Martin

Registered

I could read it but say it from memory........ I dun thin so.

Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Her only fault....:)

10. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

good for her. even the prez had no idea it was coming. woman knows what she's doing. and oh my did she flame a lot of liberal ass's. which is one of my favorite hobby's :)

Denise Happyfeet likes this.
  11. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Well-Known Member
    Registered

This brings to mind something that happened once in church. The church had the screen with the words to hymns, prayers and the Apostle's Creed so that you could read in case you forgot the words. Now you would think that repeating the Creed week after week you would have it down pat.

When the screen broke down one week mid Creed you would be amazed at how fast 100 voices turned into less than 20....just sayin'

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ha ha....I'd be one that knew it...just because I liked it. I do mess up the Lord's Prayer though, forget the order of the verse.

13. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was told some religions say 'debts' instead of 'trespasses.'

14. Ken Anderson

Registered

I don't know if that's so much a denominational matter as it is a matter of translation. Some Bible translations use debts, while others use trespasses, but the definition, in context, is the same. Some Protestant denominations use a defined translation, such as some Baptist churches that use only the King James Version of the Bible, recognizing only that translation as being authoritative, but most churches that I have attended allow each member to use whichever translation they please. Others have a preferred translation, but it's more a matter of making sure that everyone is on the same page, given that it's easier for a pastor to preach from the same translation that the congregation is reading from.

Janice Martin likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Good for her!;)

16. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is the same garbage that many, many observers who believe themselves to be theologically well studied did in reference to Trump when he said, "two Corinthians instead of second Corinthians". Even a couple of pastors slammed Trump but in the end, it is absolutely proper to say it either way. I have said it both ways on many occasions in front of hundreds if not thousands of people and not one person has ever questioned it.

Melania's rendition, while staggered, was correct (as has been previously posted) depending upon which translation, tradition and denominational stance a person is familiar with in the repeating of the prayer.
    If she sang Ave Maria better than Kirsten Flagstad she would have been as equally rebuked by those disliking not only the song but those who are envious of her personally.

Joe Riley likes this.
  17. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

18. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I saw on Facebook that there is also a page for the President's prayer team, and people are invited to join the group. I think that it is wonderful that our First Lady would open the rally with the Lord's Prayer, whether she read it or not.
    Here is a picture of President Trump in prayer at the White House.
    IMG_0262.JPG

19. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Active Member
    Registered

In the Anglican Church in New Zealand we prayed "forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us" which was hard to get used to after learning it several other ways in American Protestant churches of different denominations (Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist). But that was still easier to remember than the Maori version we all had to learn out of respect for the indigenous people. {Yes, political correctness is everywhere.}

Bobby Cole likes this.
  20. Augusta Heathbourne

Registered

This is not at all a criticism but, as Melania was raised in a Communist country by Communist parents, it would have been very unlikely that she would have had any exposure to any religious practice at all.

However, if her family secretly practiced Christianity it would most likely have been the Eastern Orthodox variety.

Since the fall of the Soviet Union many former Communists have resumed their Russian Orthodox practice, once it was safe for them to do so. I would assume the same would be true of people in the former Yugoslavian countries, such as Slovenia where Melania is from.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  21. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is strange that a difference in wording is so important and ultimately consuming to some people. I wonder how it would be taken if I offered up my own postscript to the prayer as: to not forgive someone is like drinking rat poison and waiting for the rat to die? Not very well I should think, but, like the Lord's prayer it is not the wording that is important but the action that it conveys.

Joe Riley likes this.
  22. Chrissy Cross

Registered

In any case, she would have learned it in her native language and not English.

I'm familiar with communist Hungary and most were/are Roman Catholics. Most of my relatives knew the Lord's Prayer in Hungarian but never knew it in English.

Also, she might have been raised in a communist country, it doesn't mean her parents were communist.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  23. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

freedom of religion and from prosecution is one of many things we fight for.

Bobby Cole and Joe Riley like this.
  24. Augusta Heathbourne

Registered

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...del-White-House-favorite-s-wife-revealed.html

I read the 'communist father' thing in the Daily Mail, as well as in other places, but they may be wrong, I have no idea. No offense to anyone meant, nor criticism.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  25. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Not everyone that was forced to be a communist believed the ideology is what I'm trying to say. My husband grew up in Communist Hungary and so did many others I knew and still know, but they didn't really believe in it but to survive some had to join the party if they wanted a good job, etc.

Others in the same family agreed with communism so just because you lived in a communist system doesn't mean you believed in it....some did, some didn't.

My husband left Hungary in the revolution of 1956...fighting against communism....as did many others. They lost that time when the Russian tanks rolled in...

Bobby Cole and Gary Ridenour like this.