Meetings At Strip Clubs

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was first elected as Chief Shop Steward for our Union, that placed me on the executive board of our UPIU Local, which included Champion Paper's box plant, as well as the bag plant where I worked. Executive meetings were not held at the Union Hall but, I soon found, they were held at a strip club.

I didn't drink and I had zero interest in strippers, and very little actual work was done because no one could hear anyone over the volume of the music and conversations going on at other tables. I put up with it a couple of times. Then, I was pulled over just as I pulled out of the parking lot after one of these strip club meetings.

Since they didn't even allege that I had violated any traffic laws, I guess the assumption was that anyone leaving the strip club was likely to be drunk. Indeed, they made me go through a field sobriety test, although I had been drinking diet cokes all night. That was embarrassing, particularly considering that everyone who actually was drunk was passing by.

I was a Christian at the time, but I wasn't a particularly strong Christian, so it wasn't so much that I objected to the practice on religious grounds. When our international representative or someone from the national UPIU was visiting, I could see taking him out, as a way of getting to know one another. But when it was just the executive committee from the Local Union, we knew each other; we didn't need to bond.

After the second time, I objected to the strip club meetings. I told them I didn't even care if they wanted to go out to the club after the meeting and charge their drink to the Union if that was what it was all about, as long as they didn't conduct any actual business outside of the meeting.

There wasn't much of an argument about it, except for the anticipated stuff about how they had always done it that way. Maybe it was a long tradition among those who worked at the box plant, but I was elected to the committee in the second year that we were unionized. They did go out to the club sometimes after meetings, but I wasn't the only one who didn't, and they were paying for their own drinks.

If there were any hard feelings, they didn't make their way down to the rank and file because I was elected vice president of our Local the following year and kept that position until they closed our plant. Then we started holding our executive meetings before the regular meeting, which made more sense.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a really strange place to have meetings Ken. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is indeed strange but to be truthful, I believe that more “meetings” are held on the golf course, strip clubs and cocktail lounges than in all the board rooms combined. Purely subjective of course, but that is the experience that was at the forefront of my own past.
    Like Ken, I didn’t like it but if one is to get things done especially when dealing with hard heads and those who need impressing, it is just the way things go.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well if any of my bosses would have told me to meet him at a lounge or strip club for a meeting...I would have told him: "Not no, but hell no!" :)

Oh yeah...that would be except for a short time when one of my bosses was the owner of a small bar in which I had a part time job in the afternoon to help pay my schooling expenses. I made great tips there which made it possible for me to pay for Secretarial school instead of having to get a loan. And working in the afternoon I also didn't have to deal with someone getting drunk more than a few times. I found tending bar to be very interesting for a short period of time since I almost felt like a Counselor listening to people share their problems, etc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Heck, my wife won't even go out for Happy Hour on Friday after work, with co-workers, if asked, without me. If asked, she says "no thanks" and we don't go. Just one of the many things I love about her.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I had considered that refusing to do that would hurt my standing among the others on the executive committee, but then I wasn't particularly interested in moving my way up in the Union anyhow. I only ran because the people who were elected the first year were doing things stupidly. As it turned out, as far as I know, I was the only one from our plant who was offered a job with the Union, which I've spoken about elsewhere in the forum.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well maybe you could run for Congress next time around and replace some of the stupid Democrats in Office right now Ken. :)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

I tried that, at the state level.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well we could sure use some of your common sense in Congress right now...and I think you'd get along just fine with President Trump too. :)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

sounds a bit like the "Pence Rule".

Bobby Cole likes this.