Medicare... Help!

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Chrissy Cross, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I have part A & B. As long as I can stay out of the hospital, I can afford all tests and exams. Dr.'s visit are $40. Just 20%, and less for many things. The MRI's on my lower and upper spine just cost me $89., instead of over a $1000. that the last ones cost.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like something I could afford too, Ina.

Wish I had someone to go to the SS office with me....I feel like I'll have a panic attack and not be able to even think straight....this is quite anxiety causing!

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You will find them under different names in different parts of the country, but you might want to look for a federally qualified health center near you, particularly if you live in a rural area, although I'm sure something else, perhaps, is available within the cities. In our area, we have two: Katahdin Valley Health Center and Health Access Network.

Through a federally qualified health center, you can get medical, dental and prescriptions on a sliding scale, based on your income during the previous year.

You do not have to be poverty stricken in order to qualify either. We do not, and have never qualified for MaineCare (Medicaid), but we still qualify for a sliding scale from KVHC. We have to re-qualify every six months, and it may change based on income. A couple of years ago we were going through a bad time financially, and we qualified for free care.

As our income fluctuates greatly, we have paid a sliding scale that ranged from free care to a fifty-percent discount. There are some variations in dental care, where the amount payable by the patient changes according to the procedure, and there are some dental procedures that they don't offer.

I won't be eligible for Medicare for another ten months, but medical care doesn't cost much at all. Currently, we're paying fifty percent but the total costs that we're paying fifty percent of are far cheaper than you'll see from private medical or dental facilities, and we pay almost nothing for medications.

Something similar is available at hospitals receiving federal funding, and this was as true before ObamaCare as it is now. Hospitals don't advertise this, generally. We found out about it when we met with someone from the hospital I went to when I had cancer and, at that time, we qualified for free care. So my cancer treatments didn't cost a cent.

I am not sure how a federally qualified health center works with Medicare, but I know that they have patients with Medicare who are using the facilities, so I suspect that they get a sliding scale on the amount due from them.

I prefer KVHC to the doctor that I was seeing before, so I would not consider it to be a substandard level of care.

Here's a link to some information on federally qualified health centers from the Health Resources and Services Administration, and here's another.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Ken...I appreciate it. Saved those links to my home screen.

Im just feeling overwhelmed with all this....I have been putting off the major tests like pap smear and mammogram til I was eligible for medicare thinking it would be covered.

Now it all seems so confusing....

Thank you everyone of you for your help and guidance!

I need to go and take a half a xanax so I can relax and get it off my mind otherwise Ill toss and turn all night! :)

Ina...I see where you are coming from...after 11 yrs of being alone...it still can be difficult!!

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I hear that Chrissy;) Anymore, it isn't what I "want" , it's "do I NEED" it. So like no luxuries basically, LOL! I'm ok with that;)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

ditto on thankin you Ken, tons of good info there;)

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

So am I ....because my children are so generous with me I dont spend a cent on clothing or anything really, whatever I have...they bought me. I repay by babysitting but I would do it anyway because I love my 5 grandsons.

At least I feel like Im helping in some small way.

My expensives are my utilities and food and gas and car insurance and they are all high in California.

Also anything medical is out of pocket.

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

Well hey chrissy, and yes, you can call me Denise;) I still sign that way:) but I just wanted to say, that your kids must think the world of you, and I imagine they want to give you the care you gave them. You are blessed because some kids prefer to put their mothers on an iceberg, and send them out into the sea, LOL! I think that was one, weird tradition. I think they did that up in Alaska or somewhere.

I told someone that's how I wanted to go, just freeze slowly and go to sleep. That was a nice thought until they burst my bubble by telling me a giant whale would probably eat me before I froze, how depressing was that, LOLLLLLL!!

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I am very blessed with my kids....if not for them I dont even want to think where I would be. I do have a good life.

I just came back from an all expenses paid trip to Maui....my son and DIL paid for everything. I met them there...3 youngest grandsons also...was great!

Lol...you want to freeze to death?? Girl, you're crazy! :)

I want to fall asleep like I always do and just not wake up!

10. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, yep, since that would be my last, great adventure! You realize I am adventurous, or is it just, plain looney tunes;)

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Maybe a little of both! :)

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When you're first eligible for Medicare, you have a 7-month Initial Enrollment Period to sign up for Part A and/or Part B.

According to Medicare.gov, if you're eligible for Medicare when you turn 65, you can sign up (for Medicare Part A and Part B) during the 7-month period that begins 3 months before the month you turn 65, includes the month you turn 65, and ends 3 months after the month you turn 65.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

So...I will be 65 April 18th, that means Ive still got time!

In any case, calling tomorrow.....Im so glad I brought this up because my plans were to wait til 2016!

Im also getting tons of mail from insurance companies that look like they are from medicare but they arent. Will look at those more carefully now before I toss them.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

One thing for sure, the combination of medical, dental and vision insurance isn't cheap, when employed. When retired, it's still not cheap. But, when I had my last rotator cuff surgery, wife and I are sure glad we had all of it (Medicare B, Supplement and Rx Plan). Costly, yes, but for low-income folks, that "cost" can be helped.

When on Medicare, only Part A/Hospitalization, doesn't have a monthly premium, BUT, it does cost a person up front before getting admitted.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

A lot? What if you don't have it? Im sure there are many seniors that dont have a large sum up front money...what do they do?

Also...even if i only have medicare which will cover 80%, can i work out a payment plan for the 20%?

If I dont have the money...I dont have the money. I have nothing they can take anyway.