Medicare... Help!

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Chrissy Cross, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I am going to call my local soc sec office next week and see what they tell me...might be too early for an appt but I've heard about missing deadlines and how that can cost you so I am getting paranoid about that!

Plus ..need to make sure I have all documents I need.

Thanks everyone for your help!

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We also have some dental coverage with our Medicare Advantage plan. Bobby just used it; so we know it works, although we still had the co-pay to deal with.
    I think that while Medicare itself does not cover extra things like eyes and dental care, some of the Medicare Advantage plans have the extra coverages.

When you check into the extra plans for a Medicare supplement, you have to ask specifically about the Advantage plans, since the agents are not supposed to offer those unless you ask.
    Not all of the Advantage plans are the same. The first one we looked into did not include the dental or the fitness membership; but our health insurance agent was able to find one for us that did include it.
    Some people do not like the Advantage plans; but for us, it has been perfect.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just have to be able to afford it.

I don't need the dental but the fitness one would be great!

I just never realized there was so much involved with medicare!

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

If Kaiser is in your area you may want to look into what they offer. When you turn 65 you want to sign up for the Part D even if you do not take many drugs as there is a penalty if yo will pay every year after you turn 65 if you do not get it. The other supplements you do not have to get right away if you are healthy, you do have a one year wellness test you can get free. The different supplements help with different parts of the your medical bills, the part G if it is available in your state pays everything but the deductible that medicare does not pay. It does not matter which company you purchase the MedSup from because they are regulated by the government the only difference is the cost, some companies charge more for the same coverage. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them, I am licensed in Maryland but the basic medicare is the same. Just trying to give you good advice. Also, apply for your medicare at least 6 months before your birthday because it does take a little while for the wheels of government to work I always suggest 6 months out no less that 3 mos.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, Kaiser is in my area....

6 months? I better go soon since my bday is in April!

Im going to call them monday....thanks!

Think I will take all this info with me so I can bring it all up and see what they say.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  6. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Geez,

I should check out some things too. Right now, I get MediCal/Partnership because my retirement pay is in the "low" income bracket. I think that will change when I am 65 though?? I mean I will have to be on Medicare I think. Just not sure, maybe they keep the "poor" on something else. I hope to supplement my income when I am settled somewhere (which I am not yet).

Thanks to everyone who has posted here to help Chrissy. It's helping me too:) denise

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I only get widows benefits and thats not going to change so maybe California will help me...I hope.

I think they have something but Im not sure what it is...not medicaid but something like medi cal.

Oh well..its just not what I thought it would be...my salvation! Lol

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Abby Normal , my SS is only a dab over $400 a month; so I am low-income, too. Before Obama, I had SSI, which was closer to $600 a month; but now they say I do not qualify for that.
    Once I turned 65, then they put me on Medicare-Medicaid, and that is probably what you will have as well since you are low-income .
    When they put you on Medicaid, they will assign you a medicare supplement for your medications, which has a co-payment. Mine (before Obamacare) were from $1-3, and now they are from $3-6; which is still cheap.
    Also, I pay the same co-pay for a 3-month prescription as for a 1-month one; so any meds that you take on a regular basis, always ask for a 3-month (or longer) script.

Also, Medicaid only puts you on a plan with no extras; but when I talked with an agent, he said that i could have the plan with the fitness option if I wanted it, and it is still covered my Medicare-Medicaid.
    So, once you get to that point, talk with an agent, and he can put you on a plan that meets your needs, and is still covered by your insurance.
    What I am on is a Medicare Advantage Plan, and they provide extras that a supplement does not have.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

One question ...will I be able to keep the same dr Ive had for 10 yrs...he takes medicare.

Also...my widows benefits are almost $1,400 a month which is enough for me, especially with my children helping but paying $250 a month is going to be quite a chunk out of that.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

I would live like a Queen on 1400, lol, well, maybe not;) But I hope things won't be too hard. My main issue (and hoping there won't be any other "biggies") is my pacemaker needs to be updated every 10 years, so who knows how long I'll live, LOL!!

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol...by the time I'm finished paying for everything, there isnt anything left!

I do have to see the dr every 3 months with my thyroid....also have back issues.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks Yvonne, this sounds like something I can deal with ok. I appreciate you sharing because I do worry sometimes. You wouldn't believe how many elderly women I see wandering the streets. Seriously scarey:( I don't know all the reasons of course, but I've met 2 gals here in the house that actually had it all, section 8 or subsidized housing, health insurance etc., and blew it by breaking the rules, allowing family to stay with them, or boyfriends, geesh:( I just think that's stupid to blow the help you can receive:(

13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Pat is correct sbout going to the SS office at least six months before your 65 birthday. If you wait until after December 7th, you will loose your chance to get the supplemental insurances. Enrollment started this month, and is over December 7th. I don't know if they will make you wait until next years open enrollment because you're not 65 this seasons enrollment. I have medcare because of my disability, but I'm not eligible for open enrollment because I'm only 63, and I'm told I have to be 66 before I can receive SS.

14. Denise Evans

Registered

I hear that Chrissy, one thing about me, and a lot of folks I'm meeting, is that we are realizing how much we "don't" need. I have downsized from a 3 bedroom home, and all I own fits in my small truck. I shop thrift, except for underwear and shoes too, LOL!!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Now I'm even more confused Ina! Im calling them monday!!

I hope Im not too late!

Why didnt they tell me enrollment started this month??

I got nothing in the mail from them!