Medicare... Help!

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Chrissy Cross, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Not sure where to post this question so I put it here....

I will be 65 April 18th...when should I apply for medicare? Also, where? Should I go to the soc sec office in Fresno and have them help me?

It looks complicated and I dont want to mess it up.

I also seem to be getting all sorts of mail which looks official but is not...will medicare send me something in the mail?

Im really lost with nobody to help me....

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Something's you can do online for example social security has a site you can go and apply. It is said to go and get Medicare when it's 3 months your birthday of 65. There is a wonderful site benefits.gov where it guides you step by step, to see if you qualify for other benefits too. It's best that Medicare and the Provider you seek information is gotten before hand too. Right now it's enrollment time and many health providers have their agents at like Walgreens where my health provider was and she answered some questions I have. Decide what health provider you want to go under. AARP has UHCC as their recommended health provider. There have been new laws that passed this year that gives you Medigap too, so it's a bit of researching you've got to do for the right plan. Seek out your health provider and ask away to get the right coverage's that you need for yourself and your family. One place to begin is HealthCare.gov. Good luck! You're welcome in advance.:)

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thank you, I'll check out those sites.

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to the local social security office where I could talk to real people. They were very helpful and got everything taken care of for me. Call first to make an appointment and they will have your file ready when you get there.

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Sheldon....That is what I will do.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What you will learn is........you will want Medicare, but you will pay a monthly premium. I pay $104 per month. You will need a Supplement medical insurance, because Medicare only pays 80% of medical costs. I have Florida Blue for my Supplement. You will also need an Rx (Drug) Plan for prescription drugs, if you take any. Even if you don't take any, if you see your PCP for something and he prescribes a medication, you will need the Rx Plan to help pay for the prescription. I have Humana Rx Plan. Wife and I pay a total of about $250 per month for those three things (Medicare, Florida Blue and Humana).

Along with Medicare, you will get Medicare A (hospital). It has no monthly premium, but you have to pay $1,260 up front to be admitted into the hospital when using Medicare A.

You will also have a yearly deductible of $147 per year that has to be paid before Medicare will pay anything.

I started my Medicare last year and am stopping using my VA Medical. I pay a co-pay for my VA Medical, but don't want to pay the $250 per month for my Medicare and other insurance and not use it.

Some people who have medical insurance thru a Pension/Retirement, get Medicare as well.

Tell you how good Medicare and my Supplement is, I had a $40k rotator cuff surgery and Physical Therapy sessions early this year. Out of the $40k cost, we only paid $300!

Also, if you can, go to your local SS office and sign up for Medicare. If you do it that way, be sure you find out what documents you will need to take with you or you will be going back again.

Good Luck

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks...that sounds expensive! I live on widows benefits now. What if you dont have the money up front to be admitted to the hospital?

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It can be/is expensive. When my wife goes on Medicare, after her job is eliminated next week, we will be paying out around $500 per month in
    medical coverage for both of us.

Depending on your financial situation and approval, Medicare does have Programs to help pay for costs.

Anther thing, Medicare doesn't cover Vision or Dental. However, vision exams are covered for Diabetics, but not new glasses. Both of us are Diabetic II.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't need dental but thought it would cover vision! My kids are dentists so they do my dental work for free, plus they help me with so many other things....I really don't want them helping with medicare. :(

I was all excited to be finally getting medicare...now I'm not so sure.

Does it cover bloodwork?

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, Medicare covers blood work, BUT, without a Supplement insurance, like my Florida Blue, you will have to come up with the 20% payment that Medicare does not cover.

This medical insurance can be costly, but paying for medical without it......my, my, my that would be terrible for many.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When you start on medicare, you should get an eye exam. I think that they do one each year, along with the mammogram and bone density tests.
    When I went to the eye exam, he gave me a prescription for glasses that I can take somewhere and get filled.

We also have a Medicare Advantage plan, and it is through Cigna Healthsprings. What I really like about this plan is that it includes a membership to Silver and Fit, which is at our local fitness center. We go there several times each week to exercise and swim, and I am feeling so much better, plus I love swimming.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Right now I have no insurance and I pay out of pocket for everything....I have been paying cash for bloodwork and I shop around for the cheapest place...

I just blew off a bloodtest my dr wanted because I thought medicare would cover it and was going to wait....

Well 20% is better than paying all of it for me.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I already have glasses and just had an eye exam not too long ago...which my son paid for.

Do you pay that much for medicare also, Yvonne?

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Also....Obamacare did not work for me...not poor enough and what was available to me I didn't want.

Still too much monthly, plus a huge deductible and my dr who ive been with since I moved to Fresno didnt take it, neither did any drs near me.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The OP needs to check out what Medicare will cover. From what I understand, in reading about vision and dental coverage, no dental and limited vision coverage.

As far as the Advantage Plan goes, I was told by a former employee of Medicare (worked for them many years) not to get it, even if it does cover a Fitness Center or YMCA.

The OP will have to check out all of this stuff.....what will be best for them.