Medical Is All About Money

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Martin Alonzo, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, just to let you know, because wife and I talked to the person at the eye clinic that lists what is needed for cataract surgery, and the three different types of eye drops are required. Just part of the whole thing. So, limited income or not, I don't know how that would be handled. However, I told my wife that there are probably plenty of Seniors out there that don't have either the laser or regular cataract surgery done, because of finances, even with Medicare.

If I lived closer to the VA Hospital, I'd have the VA do it, but.

Medicare B is good, but I know folks that use their retirement (job) medical that is much better than Medicare. My wife's friend, who had regular cataract surgery done, told us that she only paid a $5 co-pay for each of her eye drops. She has Kaiser Insurance from retiring from the County of Orange in So California.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well all I know is that my ophthalmologist knows what ins I have and has said I'm covered. And what dr would do a procedure that requires drops after and you can't afford the drops? Doesn't make sense.

I'm in no hurry though....my cataracts aren't that bad...yet.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't even mention it if he knows he's not getting paid. His office is in the very fancy eye institute in Fresno.

This is my opthamologist...Dr Poulson.

https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-eric-poulsen-yxj3b

The only thing I disagree with are the wait times...Ive never been out of there in less than 2 hrs ..that includes the waiting room and all the tests they preform. Seems every visits you get a million different tests...which is good I guess.

My pressure with drops last visit was 16/17 witch is good. If it's higher than he sees me I'm 3 months if not than usually every 6 months. I have an appt July 7.

I do stress with these appts...especially the field of vision tests....he does a vet thorough one and it takes forever and I get trigger happy, lol...I want to do well. :)

My dad had high eye pressure but it never developed to glaucoma....mine is genetic.

My daughter's last eye appt had pressure a little on the high side...since it runs in the family dr wants to see her again in a few months...she doesn't need drops now/yet.

Hope she won't but with the drops it's not a problem.

At first I thought...great, Latisse, makes your lashes grow but my other dr then said it can also turn blue eyes brown and not in a pretty way...splotchy..it's also expensive so I went with Cosopt.

Twice daily and it can burn a little but I'm used to it and its second nature and no problem.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

A vision surgeon does the surgery, not the doctor that does an eye exam. My opthamologist referred me to a surgeon. That’s all I know.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Mine will do it I think...he is a vision surgeon also.

At least that's the impression I get but who knows.

I told him I'm the anxious type and what happens if there's an earthquake...he said good question, lol.

He's only had a power outage but they have back up generators so that's not a problem so it sounds like he does the procedure.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was trying to research if my dr...dr Poulson does the surgery himself and according to this info he does....

IMG_2252.JPG

6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joy Martin A most eye-opening article! Especially like the part where FDA speaks out with intent to quell any public concern regarding it's efficacy.
    Frank

8. Joy Martin

Registered

The drug companies have no regard for humans and life, their regards is more money.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There are still people, in low places, in quiet places, curing eye problems, and most all other problems for free or low price. Just like the Native Americans did for hundreds or even over a thousand years. They just are not allowed to advertise,
    for if they become 'known' to authorities, POOF they're gone.

10. Joy Martin

Registered

If a person has an interest, they can keep their eyes healthy and strong. I got the interest in all that back in the 80's and not a slave to docs and pharma. There are always exceptions to all

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Big Pharma has no intention of curing disease it is bad for business but managing, treating, controlling, disease is good business and a real money maker. Doctors bless their soles go into medicine and spend a lot of money only to be brain washed in one area and told follow the line or we will take away your license to practice. I have doctor friends who I connect with because they have the equipment for diagnosis [lab work] from there I know what I am dealing with and cure myself.

12. Joy Martin

Registered

Absolutely Martin and it's tragic so so so many don't see this or want to see it.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  13. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Tragic, and very difficult to escape. The money controls most people's lives and most of all the so-called "health" care system they are in.
    They are not given a choice
    to be cured , healed, or helped, not in a good way.
    They are only given choices that further the drug-makers interests, regardless if it prolongs the life or not.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe some just don't see everything in life as a giant conspiracy. I am grateful to have access to an excellent healthcare system and medicines should I need them.

And of course the health care industry is for profit; there are huge investments in education, infrastructure, and research. Why shouldn't a doctor make a comfortable living; they have invested in themselves and should reap the benefit.

15. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

…and what isn’t about money? Even churches, the most virtuous of institutions, get in on it.

Beth Gallagher likes this.