Massage Therapy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night at 7 PM I went for my Full Body Massage which I try to do every 10 days. I walk down three flights of stairs from my apartment go out a side door and through a security gate to a small business area that has a Dentist, Emergecy Care, Italian Restruant and voila! My Massuese. I am 82 years old and single and though I can still walk without a cane or walker I have several health conditions where the symptoms are diminished by massage. The human touch is great as well and is not like the touch or connection by hugging your grands. It's not a sexual thing it's just the somewhat intimate connection with another person.
    I slept quite well last night.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's nice, @Ren Tanner ..Ive had a few but the only thing they did was make me feel pampered. Didn't really help my back...sometimes they made it worse.

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

There are different kinds of massage Chrissy and sounds to me like you have had what they call a DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE which can be painful and making you sore afterward. A good Therapist has the training to do the different kinds.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, I made sure I didn't get that one. Trying to think of the name of the place I went but can't remember. Some kind of spa. But that wasn't were it hurt, that was relaxing there, also had the facial and some other things. It's not cheap but was a gift.

Other place I think is called Envy.

Edit: I found it, this is the one I liked.
    http://www.estanciadayspa.com/

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think I could let a stranger give me a massage but one of my husband's good friends in Florida knew how to give massages and he taught my husband a lot of what he did. And the first few years of our marriage I loved getting a good massage from my husband. Your putting this post up @Ren Tanner reminded me that maybe it's time for me to talk to my husband about bringing those massages back into our life again. Especially after all this Election stress! :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My ex gave good massages and he was always buying special oils, etc. he was a pleaser that's for sure. I just didn't love him enough. :(

I don't mind getting a massage from a strange woman..never had one from a man besides my ex but if he was just some old guy that wouldn't bother me either. A hunk might be a different story.

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

I love and benefit greatly from a one hour FULL BODY massage. I have had massages on a pretty regular basis over the years and now with a couple of medical conditions and a aging body I appreciate massage even more and sleep better.

Massage might help Chrissy with her anxiety.

Don Alaska and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Benefits of massage
    upload_2018-9-29_16-2-58.jpeg
    Studies of the benefits of massage demonstrate that it is an effective treatment for reducing stress, pain and muscle tension. While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage may also be helpful for: Anxiety. Digestive disorders. Fibromyalgia. Headaches.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Lon Tanner I mentioned the same thing to @Chrissy Cross in another thread. I, too, have benefited from massages, but Chrissy says they are too much money for her, and I suggested to her to speak with her physician about getting a prescribed massage regimen. Medicare will pay for it if it is prescribed and has a treatment plan.

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

I had a Massage Therapist come to my apartment for a 90 minute Full Body Swedish Massage. She brought her portable table, music towels & oils. It sure beats traveling across town for a massage and the price was very reasonable.

Joy Martin and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've done massage all my adult starting at about 35 or so, and our town as a couple clinics where students are working on patients too, nice reduced prices. Since I no longer drive and am on fixed senior income, I am back to seeing my D.O. who does great bodywork..cranio and myofascial release work. I feel like a new person after his session.

I can't see how Medicare pays for any of this work even with a script.

Give yourself a gift now and then of a theraputic massage. I would rather spend my money on bodywork/touch any day over the cold tech machines many spend so much on today.

I had even given consideration to become a massage therapist about 30 yrs ago but then my right thumb became arthritic and I had to drop that idea. I have strong hands and arms and my friends enjoy my work when I give them some massage.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always found that the Partial-Body Lithuanian Massage was beneficial in re-charging my entire person both Physically and Mentally.

This is especially useful for those who have suffered from chronic Recalcitrant Plebney for several months or more.

Harold

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

Mongolian Specific Massage can have the same effect.

14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I've heard that, but I understand the smell is not very pleasant.

Hal

15. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've known this for many years and was even thinking of going into this work but instead OA hit my hand and then the rest of body. Many massage therapists end up with OA issues, sad as they do help so many people in getting blood flowing and muscles loosened and it goes on and on the value of Massage.

Last night on Coast to Coast Ben Fuchs the Holistic Pharmacist couldn't say enough about Massage and all the health value of this work.

And those here with partners, work on each other, exchange massage to help each other and their health.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019