Marrying Early

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Corie Henson, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last year we had a housemaid who was 15 years old. She was sent to us by her parents for the reason of early marriage. Children in their town marry early sometimes as young as 13, huh. Well, the maid did not last long. She tried to find a way to leave us and from what we heard, she is now pregnant.

In the olden times, the marrying age is 20. That is exact to the count that you had finished schooling. However, not all 20-year olds have finished school and some even have no job to speak of. But people survive because of the parent's support particularly financial support. Most of my brothers were like that - married early with no job and just depended on my father for their finances.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wanted to wait until I was fifty but I married early, at forty-eight.

3. Ben Oasis

Ben Oasis Veteran Member
    Registered

Marrying early does have certain disadvantages, particularly that young men aren't ready both mentally and finantially. I don't understand those who let their kids get married before they even finished schooling. In my opinion, education should go first, before making a family. But will those arrogant teenagers listen to us?

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I was barely 16 when I got married. I didn't get married because I was pregnant, I got pregnant so my parents would sign for me to get married. They refused to to sign and I told my mom, I WILL get married and I did. It would have been easier on us if I had been allowed to get married without having a baby 5 months later. But our son and I grew up together, he died last April and I think he was more mature at that time than I am even now. My husband and I will soon celebrate our 51st wedding annv. I couldn't have imagined spending my life with anyone else. Times were rough and we were super poor for many years, very dumb and made tons of bad decisions. Last March he had 2 different kinds of cancer cut out of his gut, not to mention prostate cancer a couple years before that. But if I had it to do over I wouldn't change a lot of things. I just wish I was as smart than as I am now. I wanted a long interesting life and I have gotten that, I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things. We sit outside and look at the stars often, and sometimes we just hold hands and look up there and we don't have to say a word --- only the two of us know all the places we have walked and now we wonder what else we will do and how much longer we'll have to do it. But for the record, I do NOT approve of young marriages and wouldn't sign for one of my kids to get married like that either. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Well I think that marrying at 15 is too early and getting pregnant at 15 is way to very early! Hope the father of the housemaid's child marries the housemaid. Life is short, but it's good to plan out your life so that if marriage and children is what a woman would like than she should find a husband that can provide for her and her children and have a happiest of marriages. In today's world as in the history of Earth marriages is good when you find true love. True love is here if you'd like it to happen and marriage is next...what is the song love and marriage go together like a horse and carriage. But 13 or 15 is way too young for marriage unless it's what the couple wants and if it's legal to do in their country or State.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Here I thought marrying at 18 or even 19 was too young but 15. Not sure I can wrap my head around that one. To me this is the age where a girl is just learning about life, and this one seems to be living things that some who are ten years older then her have yet to have happen. I am not sure I can approve of such a young age marriage but that is just my opinion.

Linda Binning likes this.
  7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Had an uncle who waited until he was 50 to be married. I wish I had done that. I was married at the age of 20, to an 18 year old girl. I still hadn't run all the mayhem out of myself yet. Poor wifey had a rough go and stood it for 18 years. What's done is done, I guess.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I married when I was 19 and my husband was 34! It lasted for almost 35 years til he died in 2004. :(

Linda Binning and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What is considered the appropriate age for marriage changes throughout the ages, and may differ from one part of the world to another. Not that long ago, it was not at all unusual for women to be married at fourteen or fifteen, although men, I think, were usually older, but still in their teens. With the current trend of sexualizing children in elementary school, we may find that things will swing back that way again or, more likely, a larger percentage of people won't bother with marriage.

10. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

We married at 19 in 1963...Still going strong..We have had one fight and I think I am getting close to winning!!!!! woohoo1.gif

11. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Hahaha. Good one, Ken.

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From my estimate, I'd say that youngsters in the metro are taking it easy when it comes to marriage. Where before it was rare to see a wedding of 30-year olds, now that is getting common. Those in their 20s seem to love being single that when an accident happens that the girl gets pregnant, marriage is not an issue. It seems that being a single mother is something to be proud of. That was supposed to be taboo (in my time).

In the province especially in the remote areas, girls as young as 15 or even younger are allowed to get married or just live together and raise children. The reason of the parents is to have children while they are still young so they can ably take care of their offsprings. So we see the opposite poles of urban people against rural folks.

13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

My father raised me to be a wife, and arranged my first marriage to a man in his 40's. I was 13. This man paid my mother $500.00, so I thought he owned me. Eleven months later I was a mother. Then someone explained to me that slavery had been over since 1865. Two weeks later I took my child and ran. I worked at whatever job I could find until they figured out how old I really was. Then I was lucky enough to meet my secound husband, and we were together for almost 48 years, until last December.

Thr Creator blessed me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015