Mardi Gras! Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Mari North, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone celebrating Mardi Gras this year? Do you know that there are live cams in New Orleans... (Earthcam at Bourbon Street.) I had fun with it last year... but daytime only. Didn't really want to see what I know those people do there, especially knowing there's a cam, and usually after dark. Shivers!

In the past I've ordered a King Cake from a New Orleans bakery and that was always so much fun... went to order this year and YIKES! What they used to send for free shipping, they're charging *$31* to send now... and $30 at another bakery. :eek: Drat!

I think I'll be ordering a "regular" cake with the Mardi Gras colors from my supermarket bakery this time. I'll have to buy that tiny baby to try to hide in it myself. Already have the beads and even masks. :D A real King Cake isn't like a cake at all, but more like a filled sweet bread... but nope, can't justify that kind of spending!

Anyone celebrating, big or small scale? I won't have a theme meal this time, but I've been known to in the past. I sure do get hungry for an oyster po'boy sometimes, though. And I make a mean pot of Jambalaya but I think I'll skip that this time, too. Still have until the 9th... might change my mind on that one! :)

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No cake for you, Mari...I'm watching you now! :)

No, I don't do anything for Mardi Gras. Last time I did anything was when my daughter was in Dental School and I visited her and we went to a Mardi gras celebration in Soulard, MO or IL...can't remember now.

They had a parade and would throw beads to the people along the way...got a lot of beads and one guy had a bunch of roses and he came over to me and handed me one....I was ecstatic, lol! I didn't even have to pull up my shirt! Then we went to a few bars and that was that.....fun time with my daughter at college.

3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh great! What have I unleashed with that other post?! :p Well, this would be for Feb. 9... and the family is wanting a King Cake, so what's a girl to do?! Actually a pie would be much more "dangerous" for me because I've never been much of a cake person so it should be okay if I order the smallest size I can get.

How sweet about the rose! Glad to hear you didn't have to compromise yourself to get one! :D

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Are you near New Orleans?

Yep, didn't have to compromise myself.....that time! :) J/K

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Never joined in for Mardi Gras, myself.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Never been in New Orleans at Mardi Gras time. Lived in Baton Rouge during that time, but was told by many locals - don't go down there! ..not safe.
    Another Mardi Gras celebration is held in Galveston, Texas at the same time every year . .. it's almost as crazy. ..http://www.mardigrasgalveston.com/

ps .. to me the king cakes are overrated.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016