Marble Cake!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved my Mother's Marble Cake as a kid, pestered her to make it so often, she offered to teach me how, maybe age 10 or so. I grew adept at somehow swirling the chocolate dough into the light dough to produce a tulip-shaped chocolate section, when the cake was cut in two.

I have her original hand-written recipe, yellowed and tattered a bit, and of course the things significant, details all good cooks already know, are not there. Just ingredients and bake time/temperature. Today I endeavored to try it. With a bit of advice from my wife, I learned that cake dough is not like that for dumplings or bread! Much less stiff, almost pourable, and does not rise to double the size. I remembered my Mother's loaf pan as being larger than the one my wife brought forth. She advised that a 3/4 fill would like rise to the height of the pan; therefore, two cakes were made. As-poured:
    [​IMG]

Fresh out of the oven! Remains to be seen what the swirl looks like. I chipped off a tiny corner of crust: delicious. Now I have fodder for breakfast for at least a week. My wife tasted a very tiny crumble, declaring it very good, a fact she was not expecting, due to my relative lack of kitchen expertise!
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the lack of focus, can I be shaking that much?? Frank

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks yummy @Frank Sanoica.

I like to keep original handwritten recipes of my mother's too. They are hard to follow though because she just writes down the ingredients but not how much of each is used. :confused:

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

My Mother made the best Marble cake.....in fact, she used real marbles!;):eek:

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ha ha @Joe Riley, did she use shooters?

That looks yummy @Frank Sanoica. When I make two of something, I freeze one, unless I'm giving it away. That way, I can eat on the one for several days, and have the other for the future. I haven't had (or seen) marble cake in quite a while. Seeing that made me think of marble rye bread, which I also haven't had in quite a while. I enjoy both.

Frank Sanoica and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane
    One of the hotel restaurants here, I think it's Riverside, serves that wonderful Marble Rye bread! It's delicious, and we are told it must be special-ordered from some baker back East.
    Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Those are the best bakers, the ones back East ;). There are so many food items I miss from back there, and it would take me forever to perfect the recipes. I might have to try making marble rye at some point, after I get a better oven :D.

Frank Sanoica likes this.