Manuka Honey

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Patsy Faye, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Bought a jar today. Used it years ago when Fabs had ulcers
    It is good for the tummy and other things, a natural antibiotic - don't you know
    Anyhoo, we both had a dessertspoon and boy was it sweet - hope its not got added
    sugar ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:
    Have you tried Manuka ?

Terry Page and Missy Lee like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes, much better than average honey
    Google it, you'll be surprised at the benefits :)

@Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I did, yes...you're right about it.

5. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never heard of it either. I use unpasteurized honey for the health benefits.

Will certainly google this, and thanks Patsy.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All raw honey has a lot of health and medical benefits, and can be used both internally and externally for healing. One other thing that I have read is that it is always good to get local raw honey, because it is made from plants that grow in the area where you live and is thus more beneficial than honey made from plants that grow elsewhere.
    It does look like the Manuka honey is very anti-bacterial ; but I would not pay extra money just for that purpose. I already take the coconut oil which is also antibacterial, as well as antiviral.
    Many years ago, I had a horse that got a very bad cut on its fetlock (ankle) and I was treating the infection. I read about using honey, and smeared some on the cut. By that night, the honey had pulled out so much infection from the leg that the whole bandage was an icky green color, and the foot started healing much better when I added the honey every time I cleaned the wound.

Missy Lee and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes very good for wounds Yvonne
    Manuka is expensive but it is the best too - will be giving it a good go to see how it goes :p

9. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Never realized you could use honey for wounds. You learn something new every day.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Never crossed my mind either, could be because I really don't get wounds anymore.

11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a funny story about honey, from when I owned a health food shop in the 1980s, we sold honey from a local supplier who collected and bottled his own, he always put a sell by date of 100 years on his bottles.
    One day a local trading standards officer called in the shop, and after purchasing a bottle of the honey, declared that it was illegal to give a sell by date of 100 years, so the poor old guy was warned and made to re-label the bottles. The truth is honey will last indefinitely (the trading standards officer admitted that) even after thousands of years in Egyptian tombs, it has been found to be perfectly edible...............if he had given no date he would have been in the clear evidently....;)

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Terry Page
    Any idea how to store Honey, thinking of the hot weather - would the fridge be OK ?

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Honey does not need refrigeration, @Patsy Faye . Like @Terry Page mentioned, honey that has been found in Egyptian tombs is still perfectly fine, and honey (unless it is polluted with something else) never spoils. The antibacterial properties of honey keep it safe from any kind of spoilage. The consistancy might be thinner in the heat of summer; and harder if you refrigerate it; so I guess it would depend on how hard you like your honey to be for what you use it for.
    I always just store things like honey and molasses in a jar in the cupboard and it is fine. So, as long as you are buying pure raw honey, it should be fine to keep in the cupboard year around.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not sure about the creamed honey I bought at TJs and there are no instructions on it. It's real not creamed because it's pure honey, maybe just whipped but I put it in the fridge but I'd rather not because it gets so hard that I can't spread it. :(

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

I was surprised at how 'runny' the honey is and of course Fabs gets into a right mess with it
    So if its not a problem in the fridge, I think I will do that, as this apartment is very hot :rolleyes:

@Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith likes this.