Mandatory Self Protection

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, May 31, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, Bobby, but it’s been 15 years since you owned, operated and around other boaters, correct? We have one NOW and have for the last 15 years.

A lot of thing change in 15 years, even how people boat.

What is so hard to understand that we see boaters all the time wearing NO life vests on the water, while we are on our boat.

We have life vests on the boat, but like millions of other boaters, we don’t wear them.

I notice you got some “likes” for your post, even from Chrissy. How many years has it been since she’s been on a boat and/or around boaters?

I think people on the forum just like seeing someone “tell me off” with “not current information”.

BTW, when I went out with my Uncle on his ski boat, back in the late 60’s, neither of us wore life vests on the water.
    My wife just told me that her family didn’t wear any either, They had a cottage and two boats, one a ski boat, at their lake cottage in Michigan. That was in the late 60’s as well.

Neither of us can believe that you really think that most boaters wear them on the water today. She says, “it just doesn’t happen where we are or when we were in Colorado. I really wish those folks would believe you (me).”

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No, people do NOT like to see you "told off" Cody! Enough with the narcissistic paranoia already.
    Do what you like with your life as thousands of dead people have done in the past.
    Whether YOU wear a vest or not is your business but if the reason for doing whatever you do is because of what other people will think is not a reasonable way of thinking.

Vest or no vest, boots and spurs is all about what other people think of YOU and I really believe you need to consult someone much more qualified than I for a serious talk.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been a firefighter and a paramedic. That's what they do for a living. With the volcano in Hawaii, which is what prompted this thread, they announced that no one would be coming to rescue anyone who chose not to evacuate. How is that putting anyone's life on the line who hasn't chosen to do so? The same was true of the man in Port Mansfield, who had waited out other hurricanes in the past. Until they decided to forcibly remove him during Hurricane Gilbert, which turned out to be a dud, by the way, no one was putting their lives on the line trying to rescue him, and he had waited out stronger hurricanes than Gilbert without asking for a rescue. Previously, he was allowed to make decisions about his own life that adults should be allowed to make.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, not trying to change the thread, but I put up stuff about my days in rodeo and how I had to look in the arena. Well, since I’m the only member on this forum that was in a professional rodeo organization, I knew the rules in the arena, nobody else does.

Some folks don’t care what others think of them, we do. One major reason for our move back to Colorado or up into Wyoming....to fit in better than we do here.

We know about boating and there are lots and lots of folks on lakes that are just like us.

What you said about me needing “help” really kind of upset my wife”. She said, “how dare him talk about you that way. These folks think they know more about cowboy stuff and boating than we do, when was the last time they went to a rodeo or was on a boat on a lake? They know we own a boat and what we see here on the water. Geeshhhh!”

I totally agree with her. We know what goes on TODAY on the water and in the rodeo, ranch and farm world. Today, not years and years ago.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Why doesn't your wife join and speak for herself? Is she home or do you call her at work to complain?

Also, you've lived in Florida for quite awhile now, so you're not too current either on Colorado, etc.

As for life vests, my life is more important than what people in passing boats think of me....I would drown in deep water, not the greatest swimmer.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What the "H" are you saying. After I tell her what you and others say about me, she wants nothing to do with this forum. Would you like people making comments about your deceased husband or ex, saying they need help?

One thing for sure, there are some of you that really know how to "push my buttons" and, if I was to leave, I doubt seriously if I'd miss this forum. Originally, I said how nice the forum and those that are on it are, but some of those feeling have definitely changed. Yes, I'm a little upset, but I'm allowed to be that way after TRYING to explain things and so many ears are closed.

For what it's worth to you, I'm on that relocation forum and I have talked to quite a number of folks that live on The Front Range about different things. Are they all lying to me?? The Front Range has changed, but boating on lakes, rodeo scene and other Western stuff is the same and I've been told that.

Any other questions or comments???

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I read that forum also, so I guess I'm up to date also...with opinions from strangers.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yup, read your own post and then tell me that it isn't all about you and what other's think about you. A person whose life is totally dictated by what other people think and do is in danger of jumping off the same cliff as your mentors should they decide to set that example.
    You have lived this long being a follower of what others do so do what you will and there is a possibility that you will live a long life filled with their accomplishments.

Now, I have just about had enough of this off topic drivel because no one has brought any popcorn and I am personally bored with it. I think at this time I will just leave you to your own demise and allow you the comfort of a no-confrontational future on this thread. Live long and prosper...…….

Don Alaska and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree @Bobby Cole ...I'm done also...wouldn't even have commented but Cody had to make a comment about me liking your post.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Strangers???? Yes they are, but they live there and know what goes on there. In fact, I've done Personal Messaging with a few about things we loved there. The folks in the northern part of the Front Range have told me, "you'll fit in here perfectly, definitely don't worry about that".

Funny, my wife just told me "all the folks on that forum like to do is argue with you. There are things they know very little-to-nothing about, yet they make comments like they know everything about cowboy and rodeo stuff. They "think" they are right, but in reality, you and I are...…..because I was right there with you at rodeo's and other Western stuff."

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby, you just make me smile and laugh! I was, thankfully, able to calm my wife down. She really thinks I should have no part of this forum. Bobby, we aren't "followers", but, when it comes to boating, we know how to swim. I'd better, I was in the Navy and on the water a lot.

What I'd really like you and others to do is go to a local lake where a boat ramp and dock are and see for yourself about the life vest thing. See just how many boaters don't wear them. I'm not talking about those on a small John boat, I'm talking about those on a cabin cruiser, bowrider or cuddy cabin like we own. If you can't go to a lake, go to YouTube and look up boating or just look up pictures of boaters. Ever seen people on a cabin cruiser walking around the deck wearing life vests? Not unless there is some kind of "distress/emergency" going on.

When Chrissy and her husband were on a boat, did all of the people wear life vests while enjoying themselves with a good drink?

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, you do like it when folks disagree with me. Just a fact.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When it came to the boating "life vest" thing, those that think that boaters should wear life vests, take a look at boating on YouTube or pictures of boaters on cabin cruisers. There are no life vests being worn.

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Back to the OP.
    Hurricane Camille was one of the worse nightmares that the folks in Grand Isle, Louisiana had ever experienced.
    The warnings were given and some people did evacuate but a vast number, somewhere around 200 if my memory serves me, decided to have a hurricane party at a local 3 story motel.
    I suppose it started with only a few but as things progressed and "everyone else was doing it", the party started and so did the hurricane.

When the water started coming in the first floor, everyone moved to the second and third and then the swells took over the second floor which left only the third floor as a safe haven. Then, the third floor was completely covered by the raging water.
    Over two hundred people drowned that day just because some didn't wish to evacuate and some just followed along like sheep to the slaughter.

Now, were those people inexperienced with hurricanes? No. They knew everything they needed to know but felt as though they were untouchable as many of them were fishermen who had years of experience on those waters.
    Although there were some "rescuers", all they found was a lot of dead people floating around and some still locked behind the closed doors of a motel.
    Evacuation was called for in plenty of time for everyone who died to leave but pride does indeed go with a fall. Pity.....

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby, you can't go back to the OP, until you read my last replies. They are good/informative replies.