Man Shot Dead By Federal Agents In Oregon

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

When Waco happened, I was working on a federal contract, and you're right, there's a certain way of spinning these types of events in order to sway public opinion. It doesn't take much sway when people live totally different lifestyles, have no understanding of what is involved, and trust the government and press. I've been watching these situations unfold over the years, and thanks to Twitter, have a better grasp of some of what is happening. I don't have time right now to read all of this and watch the videos, but I'm now watching this thread, and definitely will. I see a lot more on Twitter about the BLM than most people do, and talk to people in the affected areas, and I definitely am not wearing rose colored glasses with regard to our federal government.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The type of incident that you are reporting about is a completely different thing than what has happened here in our state of Oregon, @Corie Henson .
    I imagine that sometimes criminals here do not make it through the process of being arrested, either; and when the person being arrested is what we call a "career criminal", it is probably not great loss that sometimes they do not make it to trial, just as you stated happens over there.

However, this situation was a totally different scenario.
    The man who was shot and killed was not a criminal, nor was he fleeing from being arrested. He was an appreciated part of his community, a family man who had also raised foster children besides his own children, from what I have read about him.
    He had not committed a crime, had hurt no other person at all, and was simply being a part of a peaceful protest against what they perceived as the government overstepping their boundaries on public land, land that any American citizen should be able to stand on without fear of losing their life.
    Some reports say that they think that he had already been wounded inside of the vehicle, and that was why he drove it off of the road, and could not walk with his hands up like he was being told to do. In any case, there was no resistance to law enforcement, and no reason to shoot and kill the man.

Corie Henson and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Most unfortunate.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When they start referring to someone's house as a "compound," or when they start referring to regular rifles as "assault rifles" and giving hints about "militias," that's a pretty sure sign that they are about to massacre a bunch of people. They did all of these things before burning people to death in Waco, despite the fact that 1) they could have knocked on the door, as the sheriff's department had previously, and been let in without violence, 2) there were no illegal weapons, and 3) the Branch Davidians had no involvement with any militias.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Sheldon Scott and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have been listening to live streaming audio from them for the past several hours. They have left the wildlife refuge and are in a tent in a public area. The FBI is within 50 feet of them. The Rev. Franklin Graham and one of their congresswomen were denied entry by the FBI earlier, but the Rev. Graham is supposed to be back in the morning. Right now, they are promising to surrender in the morning, and the FBI is promising to wait until then, but who know whether they'll keep their promises or not. I think they plan on keeping the live streaming going throughout the night so that any assault by the FBI will be recorded.

Sheldon Scott likes this.