Making Salsa And Jam Today!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Last weekend, we got a whole basket of fresh tomatoes at the farmer's market , and got them all for $3 because they had blemishes.
    We have been eating some, but I needed to use them up before they got bad. I cut out the blemishes and then made almost 2 quarts of fresh salsa, and a pint of raspberry-tomato jam.
    I made the jam with sugar-free sweetener and jello; so there is only one carb per 1oz. Serving of jam. When you add the little bit of fresh raspberries and the raspberry jello to the tomatoes, it all comes out tasting like raspberry jam.
    Tomatoes are much lower in carbs than fruit is, so this is a perfect way for me to have jam that I can eat on my ketogenic diet.
    Since not very many people are on that diet right now, I am not posting recipes, but I will post them if anyone anyone wants the recipe.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds good Yvonne - doing the Salsa whilst making jam :p
    [​IMG]

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never would have thought of mixing tomatoes in with the berries. Tomatoes are on my list of foods to avoid because of the acid, but I love them, and still eat them now and then. I am hoping to make salsa someday, but mine will be salsa verde, because I can tolerate that a lot better than the regular red salsa. It sounds as if you're doing a lot to improve your health, and cutting out the prepared foods no doubt helps a lot with that.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The salsa and jam both turned out great, and I shared the salsa with my daughter, Robin. She doesn't like jam or I would have shared that with her, too.
    This low-carb jam is perfect for me to have just a dab along with my meal. I love cranberries, and have been seriously thinking about whether I could use the same idea and make my cranberry sauce and keep it low-carb if I use the tomatoes along with fresh cranberries. There is only 8 carbs in a whole cup of cranberries, and 5 in a cup of tomatoes, so if I mix them and then add the sugar-free jello to thicken it, I can have cranberry sauce with my turkey for Thanksgiving.
    One of my main goals is to be pain-free with a natural diet, so cutting out all of the inflammatory foods has been a priority for me. I am not always 100% on that, but I figured if I can get about 80%, then I can feel the benefits, and still enjoy some of the foods that we think of as comfort foods.
    Unfortunately, most of those foods may make a person feel happy when we eat them, but then we suffer with aches and pains from the inflammation in our muscles and joints afterwards.