Magnificent Christmas Trees!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Ann George, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I like the more traditional ones.

3. Ann George

Registered

I like the traditional ones as well. The one in Milan, Italy would be interesting to see as it's covered in Swarovski crystals.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How about our Christmas Tree? It's an artificial one (3-sections). Wife and I put it together. I put the Star and Tinsel on and she done the rest. "Great job, Hon!" I told her.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Those "Sculptures" may be magnificent but they aren't trees nor are they Christmassy.

@Cody Fousnaugh , your DW did a great job on your tree. That's what a Christmas tree is supposed to look like.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  6. Ann George

Registered

Yes, you've done a good job ..... it is a pretty tree and actually looks a lot like mine. :)

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We do not celebrate holidays anymore like we did when I had little kids at home to make a happy Christmas season for. Now, it is just the two of us, and no relatives close by, so we mostly just stay at home on Christmas, and other holidays.
    The part that is my very favorite memory is when my dad would bring home a fresh Christmas tree from the forest, and mom and I would decorate it, and put on the bubble lights.
    You do not see bubble lights on a Christmas tree anymore, but it made the tree look almost magical, and I loved just being there and watching the lights bubble.

6F2FFEBD-0AA2-45E2-AAA3-C10EBA382E6B.jpeg

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A short video of an old fashioned Christmas tree decorated with bubble lights.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No longer have the tall, almost to the ceiling, tree we had in Florida. Gave it away.

In November 2019, after moving back here to Colorado, we bought a 4 foot, with colored lights, Christmas Tree. Couldn't get any bigger. Just not enough room in our living room! Have it all decorated, along with Stockings hanging in front of our gas fireplace and Nativity Scene set up on a ledge over the fireplace. Have two small spotlights, run by batteries, to light up the Nativity Scene. Very cool looking!

Us not decorate inside for Christmas? "No way!" both of us say. But, unlike the last two years here, no lights on the patio or bushes in front of our patio and apartment. Maybe next year.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith , I don't remember ever seeing bubble lights. They are pretty.

Here is my magnificent 4 foot Christmas tree.

Christmas tree1.JPG

Christmas  tree.JPG

Cody, I don't decorate like I use to, either. I have a big tree but it's a lot of work to put up and decorate. Then after Christmas, you have to undecorate it, take it down and pack it away in the outside shop. Somehow, that's not as much fun as it use to be. I use to do a lot of outside decorating, too, and don't do it now for the same reason. :)

One year, I went into the woods and cut some holly with balls and used it to decorate my window sills, When I took it down, there was a huge black widow on the window sill...... inside. That was the last time I used wild holly.

11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember the year we went out and bought a big beautiful tree from the local lot. Got it home, set it up in the stand, watered it, strung the lights and got it about half decorated before bedtime.

We got up the next morning and it had shed about half its needles in the heat of the house. WHAAAAAT?

We undecorated it and drug it back to the lot for a replacement. It was about bald by then.

We laughed about that for years.

After we moved to Florida, we reluctantly went over to the dark side and got an artificial tree. Unfortunately, I stored it in the attic. In Florida, attic temperatures could serve as the baking room at an auto paint shop. Next Christmas, I got the tree down and it promptly fell apart. <Sigh> I am the only person who can kill an artificial tree......

For years, I had a large "Santa Tree", which had nothing but Santas on it, including a Santa angel at the top (I had over a thousand Santas, from almost life-sized to one carved from a grain of rice).

Now, I have a sweet little 4-foot tree trimmed only with cardinals and tiny snowflakes and clear lights. There is a grapevine star on the top with a cardinal perched on it. I was inspired after reading Fannie Flagg's "A Redbird Christmas" and was determined to have a Redbird tree.