Magnesium Oil

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Terry Page, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

No its not the oil Terry, its due to nerve damage
    I was hoping the oil would help me sleep through it - its a big ask though
    But I'll try again tonight :)

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

OK I hope it helps you relax and sleep better @Patsy Faye , it's supposed to be good for pain in general, assuming you are magnesium deficient in the first place of course....

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

I guess if it doesn't work - I'm not deficient, although I'm a strange case Terry :p

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found this webpage with some other natural products that are known to help with nerve damage, if you are interested in try some other possibilities, @Patsy Faye .
    I have used several of these myself, although not for nerve damage specifically. DMSO is a great product that helps with a lot of problems, and healing and pain relief are part of what it can do. It will also carry any other skin medications you use deeper into your skin, so it helps them to penetrate down where they can really help. I use it on my bad knee when it is especially cantankerous.
    Another one that I have a lot of faith in , is niacin. What niacin does is open the blood vessels and get the blood into the tiny capillaries that have been clogged by poor circulation. When niacin opens these capillaries , you will feel what is called the "niacin flush", and you can tell that it is getting the blood into the capillaries where it is needed most. Taking niacin with a meal is best, or the flush can be disturbingly strong.

https://www.cancertutor.com/spine/

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Thanks so much Yvonne, will check the link
    I had already checked niacin before - what put me off was the flushing as I've had that for 17 years !
    With the nerve damage combined I feel I will go up in flames !

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Yvonne Smith - had a look at the link and amazingly I take everything on the list except DMSO and niacin
    I sure have got it bad - Its reminded me to take the lipoic acid tonight though

7. Yvonne Smith

I hear you on the flushing, Patsy ! However, once I learned about taking the niacin with a meal (and just a snack won't get it ), then it helped a whole lot. I will usually take my meds at bedtime; so I had to pay attention to what I had for dinner and when, because if it was an early dinner, or a light dinner (think salad), then I would go through about 10 minutes of flushing and itching before I fell asleep. Even knowing that this was helping with my poor circulation issues, I didn't like the feeling of the flushing very much.
    But when I take it along with a meal, it does its job and you never even feel any flushing. In any case, it might be worth trying a bottle. Start with a low dose, like 50 mg, and if that makes you flush uncomfortably, then start with half of one tablet, and gradually work your way up to taking more. Many people take 2,000-3,000mg of niacin, but 250 2x a day is about the most I have ever taken, and mostly, I take 100mg once a day, unless I am having circulation issues and the pins and needles thing going on in my feet.
    Time-release niacin can be dangerous (and doesn't help), so be sure to only get the bottle that says "may cause flushing". It can be hard to find, and I have started ordering mine on Amazon.

Terry Page and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's the problem Yvonne, I have burning pins and needles every day ................

9. Yvonne Smith

Sorry.....I was not very good at explaining myself, Patsy. When I have the burning feet, then I take more to get rid of it. Actually, that does a good job of reminding me that I need niacin. When nothing hurts, I often don't think to take it when I have a meal, and then by bedtime when I do remember, it is too long since I ate, and I know if I take it then, I will have the niacin flush.
    I had so much trouble trying to get to sleep at night when my feet had that neuropathy (or whatever it is called), and now I seldom have problems with it anymore; so I was hoping that it might also help you with your nerve pain.

Terry Page and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh - I'm with you now Yvonne
    I'll take a look tomorrow on Amazon - thanks for your patience :)

@Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Terry Page

Registered

I have been taking this oil for about a month now and though still early days, the overriding feeling I get is of much more energy, and a general feeling of my body being 10 years younger.
    Though just back from a holiday, and still all over the place timewise, together with jet lag, I am keen to start doing some decorating jobs around the house, which is very unusual for me these days......

I will carry on with the oil for another couple of months, then stop it for a few weeks, to see if I lose any of these effects which seem to be the result of the magnesium.

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Pleased to hear it's doing good for you Terry
    Sadly, not for me, will look up the coconut oil today :)

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page
    My wife & I began taking Magnesium Citrate capsules several months ago. I found that, as usual, sellers of supplements use smoky tactics to sell less than very effective products. For example, all should be aware that some suppliers label their product as simply "Magnesium"; those contain Magnesium Oxide, or good old "Milk of Magnesia", used forever as a laxative. As a Magnesium supplement, it is far inferior to the more expensive Citrate, which allows more complete absorption of the Magnesium contained in it, while having no laxative effect. The recommended daily dose of the Citrate is 400mg or so. Our tablets are 300mg. We each take one a day.

So far, neither of us can really state a difference since taking them, unfortunately.

Hey, are you sure that Magnesium Oil is not actually "Snake Oil"? :D
    Frank

Terry Page likes this.
  14. Terry Page

Registered

The problem with taking magnesium as a tablet @Frank Sanoica is only a relatively small amount actually reaches the bloodstream, plus it can upset the digestive system and cause diarrhea, evidently the best way is dermally using magnesium chloride dissolved in water, this way you avoid any contact with the digestive system and it goes directly into the blood stream. It's not actually an oil but has a sticky texture similar to oil.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

it seems to me that Epsom salt would also work in this way. It is made from magnesium sulfate, both of which are very healing to the body, and it will also absorb through the skin. Additionally, the skin will only absorb as much magnesium as your body needs; so you do not have to be concerned about getting to much of it this way.
    Sulfur is also used as a pain medication, and is the main ingredient in MSM, which is very helpful when you have joint pain of any kind. I buy it as a powder, and it only takes about 1/4 tsp or less to get a full days supply, and you can add it to just about any liquid you are drinking because it does not have much taste.
    We also take a cal/mag/zinc supplement every day before we go to bed. Ours has magnesium oxide, and from what I have read, it works just as good; but might take more for the same amount to be absorbed.
    We just have a shower; but I have used a large tub and soaked my feet in Epsom salts with good results. I keep thinking that if I had a horse trough, I could fill it with water and Epsom salts in the summer and the sun would warm it Anouilh for me to get in and soak more of my body. I would be able to leave it in the tub as long I was careful not to get the water dirty, and then just add fresh water and new salts every now and then. Plus, it is good for the lawn and garden, so if I drained it with a hose, I could be fertilizing the plants at the same time.

https://www.seasalt.com/salt-101/epsom-salt-uses-benefits

Terry Page and Frank Sanoica like this.