Magnesium Deficiency, Most Of Us Have This Problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The proper ratio of calcium and magnesium should be 1:1, or at least close to that.
    Many of the foods we buy, such as dairy, are calcium fortified, and we now have a ratio of up to 15:1 in favor of calcium.
    Calcium can block the magnesium from doing its job if there is an imbalance, which is what @Martin Alonzo was explaining.
    My cal/mag/zinc supplement had 3 times as much calcium in it as it had magnesium; so obviously, the calcium was not being properly absorbed, plus it was blocking the magnesium from doing its job as well.
    Even though almond milk is a good source of magnesium, when you look at the almond milk made commercially, it has about 450mg of calcium, and very little magnesium comparatively. This is all added calcium, not natural.
    When I make my own raw almond milk, I have more magnesium, and much less calcium, because almonds have the 1:1 ratio.

http://m.deliciousliving.com/blog/time-ditch-21-calcium-magnesium-ratio

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Yvonne Smith

This is a really long video, but the content is worth listening to if you want to learn more about magnesium, and what it does in our bodies.

Terry Page and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Chrissy, this will work fine for you to try out and see what they do for you. Sometimes, when you first take magnesium, you can have loose stools for a day or so, because it does help with detox in your gut, plus it is a mild laxative. (This might be what was happening with you, @Patsy Faye )
    After the first day, this was not an issue for me; but it can affect people differently, so starting with one tablet at first might be a good idea. Then try one morning and night, and by then, you should be noticing a difference in how you feel and sleeping better also.

If you start feeling better, then you can think about what specific kind you want to take, but taking the ones you have should show you whether magnesium will make a difference in how you feel.
    You can’t take too much, it flushes out just like vitamin C does; so you don’t have to be concerned about that part.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I'll do. I obviously bought them and then for some reason stopped taking them but I can't remember why.

I have 2 small bottles...one is still sealed, so it must have been buy one get one free. I used about half the
    other bottle.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks for posting that, Yvonne. You have really done your homework on this. I would just caution against thinking that one thing is the source of all that is wrong.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Chrissy, I look at supplements in the same way that I look at fertilizer for my garden. I do a little research, consider it logically, then try the idea on myself or on my plants. I don't like spending money on stuff that is difficult to absorb (unless it has been altered to be more soluble) and that is why I avoid the carbonates, oxides, and hydroxides. You can get benefits from all of them, but to me it seems logical to absorb as much as I can of the supplement. Vitamin C generally helps the absorption of the minerals. Be self-aware and notice if something makes you feel better or worse, or if there are side effects (like diarrhea or stomach/abdominal discomfort). Pharmacists are generally better-informed than doctors as to supplement action and interference with prescription drugs, but as you discovered, they, too, have varying opinions. I would try to balance things if you can, be it Ca-Mg, Na-K, or anything else. Don't overdo anything, but take enough to feel better. Yvonne has really studied Mg since she has the cardiac issue and Mg is very important in cardiac arrhythmias and any time a muscle contracts.

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross

Me, too! For that month will mean another year gone by for me!
    Frank

Chrissy Cross and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes @Babs Hunt I am still using the spray on a regular basis, around twice a week and for me it has been a life changer, I have had fairly low levels of energy and taken daily short naps since childhood, in fact I rarely worked a full 8 hour day, and always being self-employed have managed to do that usually. I feel I am for whatever reason a chronically magnesium deficient person. I only wished I had discovered this some 70 years ago, but better late than never, at least I have a new lease of life now.... ;)

I did forget to take the magnesium spray with me on one vacation to the Czech Republic, and feeling low after a few days I managed to get some tablets at a pharmacy, they helped but didn't seem as effective as the oil.

There are now some 20 people in my family including my daughters girlfriends using the oil, and all benefit from it, 4 others stopped because of no effect..............this kind of confirms the statistic that 75-80% of the population are deficient. Interestingly my eldest daughter Caroline has much more energy and aliveness now, but my other daughter Cathy, who has always been a much more energetic person generally anyway, doesn't really benefit, though she still takes it on an occasional basis.............both Caroline and myself use it around twice a week, after 4 or 5 days off it our mood and energy levels drop.

Thanks @Don Alaska and @Yvonne Smith for the reminder about it helping arrhythmia which Lisa suffers from a lot, inheriting it from her father, I will look into this more, Lisa did try the oil but it didn't have any effect on mood or energy, but we weren't looking at arrhythmia at the time,

In the hospital situation Cathy often treats patients with liquid magnesium because of the prevalence of deficiency, but it is evidently very difficult to get the balance correct.

The tablets you are trying Yvonne sound promising, maybe that's the route for Lisa, I never taken supplements in tablet form usually, because going through the digestive system often destroys the useful ingredients and/or causes stomach upsets, adjusting what you eat always feels the best way to go, but I accept that our food these days is lacking in basic vitamins and minerals for may reasons, as mentioned above.

Thanks for bringing the subject up again Yvonne, looking forward to updates on your progress, the original thread on "Magnesium Oil" is here if anyone is interested.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    Have ordered this morning from Amazon, clicked next day delivery so should get it tomorrow :)

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Terry, I would take most oral supplements with food unless directed otherwise. It reduces any destruction in the stomach and general reduces digestive reactions. Amino acids and hormones (if you take any) would be the exceptions--they usually are taken on an empty stomach. I haven't tried your recommendations on the Mg oil, but may try it the future as an alternative to what I am currently doing.

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

I totally agree with taking medication or supplements with food. Not only is it easier on the stomach as @Don Alaska just pointed out; but they are absorbed much better that way.
    When we eat a bite of food, our mouth and tummy know it is coming before it even gets to our mouth, and that is why we have the old saying about something looking so good it “makes your mouth water”.
    It truly does do that, and it also signals the stomach to make ready to digest the food.
    When you have a handful of pills in your hand, your mindset is different, and it doesn’t tell your stomach that food is coming and to be ready for it; so the pills can literally just pass right on through your system unnoticed and maybe undissolved sometimes.

Terry Page and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

http://themagnesiumperfection.com/75/magnesium-oil-dangers-and-side-effects/

There are some side effects of taking magnesium and this link discusses those when using magnesium oil.

Magnesium side effects (oral)
    Call your doctor if these continue or are bothersome:
    • Diarrhea
    Call your doctor right away if these occur:
    • Allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
    • Breathing problems
    • Feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
    • Flushing
    • Low body temperature
    • Unusual sweating
    • Unusually weak or tired
    Find more info: Drugs.com · WebMD · MayoClinic

It's important to know not only the beneficial effects but to know the effects that are no that too. So I hope you don't mind me posting this @Yvonne Smith

I have some of the problems talked about in the side effects using magnesium oil which cautions me to start off with a small amount of this oil. The oral usage has even more warnings of possible side effects so starting off with low doses would be wise.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Don Alaska and Terry Page like this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

I always research supplements before trying them
    Like everything in life, not all will agree with everyone
    I started the magnesium capsules yesterday and so far I'm happy
    In the past if I feel something is not agreeing, whether from the doc or a supplement, I stop taking them
    I'm definitely deficient in something (hey, stop nodding) :p
    I hope its magnesium

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I stopped the magnesium...don't know if it was a coincidence or not but I had the worst stomach pain ever after taking it a couple of days.

Didn't take it yesterday or today and I'm fine.

Days I did take it ...didn't seem to help me at all.

I'm one of those people that if it's natural...it's not going to do anything for me. Ive always been like that....except for eating healthy food. I do avoid processed as much as possible.

Have tried many things over the years without success.

My husband was always buying or trying something.....all those antioxidants and everything else he took didn't stop his cancer.

Everybody is different.

I do take vitamin D and that is one I see a positives result in my bloodwork. Also take a multi when I remember and vitamin C just because I don't eat fruit....not much anyway.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Terry Page likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Chrissy Cross - the problem with magnesium is there are at least 3 different types
    Magnesium Citrate upset my tummy so I stopped it
    You may be getting your magnesium from things like nuts Chrissy, so probably fine :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.