Magazines And The Reader's Digest

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Nancy Hart, Nov 25, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Probably in the original Hebrew text of Leviticus, and got lost among all those dietary laws.

Something about no fins, no ferrets and no hard copy.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That would be the “Torat Kohanim and I think that Congress has censured that volume and replaced it with Better Homes and Gardens.

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  3. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

AAAAAWWWWWW....

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Gil Arnold

Gil Arnold Well-Known Member
    Registered

A one-year subscription to Readers Digest is currently just $5 when you buy from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GVZUUY/
    That's for the printed or Kindle edition. That is only for your first year. Amazon will auto-renew you, probably at a higher price, but Amazon says they will email you in advance of the auto-renewal so you can cancel if you don't like the renewal price.

Joanna Newton and Joe Riley like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Now that I'm older, maybe "I Am Joe's Liver" will have more relevance in my life.

6. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes. My parents got it, and I've read it frequently throughout my life.

They also got Look, Life, and for a period of time Guideposts.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I still get Readers Digest and pass it on to my friends or siblings when I'm finished reading it. I can usually get a 2 year subscription for $10. And I still enjoy reading it very much.

Nancy Hart and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Somewhere along the line, I picked up a couple of issues of the RD dated January and February 1940. I would have been -3 years of age, when they were printed. Some very interesting reading. They are in very good condition, and were probably printed to last.

The January issue covers Byrd's Exploration to Antarctica.

February's issue asks if we are bankrupting our Children, by increasing our "government debt" from 1 million to 41 million dollars. (25 million increase in less that 9 years).

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I may subscribe to Reader's Digest because there is always something there that I enjoy reading. We got it at the house when I was a kid and, since then, I have managed to read parts of several issues in various waiting rooms but, since Dr. Fauci released his virus upon the world and the progressives took advantage of it, medical facilities are barely using their waiting rooms and have removed all publications from them, although I think they decided long ago that it didn't spread through such contact.

I think a lot of Christians quit subscribing to Reader's Digest when the Reader's Digest version of the Bible was published in the early 1980s. I can remember this condensed version being lambasted from pulpits and, from the name, the Reader's Digest magazine got the blame for it, although I don't think they had anything to do with it.

Although I don't think it's as good now as it once was, it's only $10/year or $15/2 years, so it's affordable.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Tony Page and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I have scanned the covers of the two 1940s RD magazines, below:

Jan 1940 RD.jpg

Feb 1940 RD.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  11. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

Definitely, Reader's Digest! I always went for the jokes first.

My dad's only reading material was the newspaper and US News and World Report --- too dense to appeal to a kid! Don't know how old I was when Look and Life and Saturday Evening Post showed up, but I liked them a lot. Those must have been my mom's doing!

Tony Page and Joe Riley like this.
  12. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That sounds good. Especially since single copies are $4.99 + tax in the grocery stores.

Tony Page likes this.
  13. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I subscribed to Reader’s Digest years ago but it has long since expired. When I went nuts over motorcycles, I subscribed to ½ dozen motorcycle magazines. I used to get Field & Stream and Outdoor Life for a while. Now I just get The Pennsylvania Angler but I mostly just look at the pictures because after years and years of reading fishing stories, they are all sounding the same.

Tony Page likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

As a teen, I was paid $50 by Readers Digest for an original joke I sent in. I sent in many original jokes for over a 10 year period that never made the cut. I remember that joke just for the December issue. It was the last one I sent in. I decided to quit while I was ahead.

What did the dyslexic Santa say as he limped to his sled after carrying a 100 lb bag of toys?

He said, "Oh,oh,oh!"

A Faye Q Funny original circa 1965

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I got a subscription to readers digest in1948. Years later after I had a family, I subscribed for maybe fifteen years.
    When I moved to Oklahoma we got a subscription for Large Print Readers Digest. We recently donated ten years of these large prints to different organizations.