Magazine Subcriptions Have Become So Affordable

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Babs Hunt, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love reading magazines, although I do not care for all the ads in them. Since there is so much communication done online now, magazine subscriptions have become really inexpensive. I'm getting ready to put in my mailbox a subscription for Readers Digest for 2 years at the sweet price of only $15.00 and also a 2 year subcription for Southern Living for only $20.00.

I have paid as little as $5 for subscriptions to Better Homes and Gardens and then they also send a year's subscription to anyone I designate.

If you buy a magazine in the store, one copy will cost you as much as a year's subscription. My great deals on subscriptions usually come in the mail, but for those who are interested you can also go online to the magazine you have an interest in and get those same good deals by subscribing online.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't read a real magazine in years! I used to before the internet though. Somehow now there are none that appeal to me...I don't need cooking tips, or decorating tips, or dating tips, or how to lose weight tips and the ones like "People" etc I see the info online.

Plus they just fill up my mailbox which is an issue for me when I travel. Long trips, I put a hold on my mail but shorter ones to my daughter's house I don't.

Missy Lee likes this.
  3. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Never buy them as the library offers them for free either in an actual magazine or online in their entirety. I like free.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I prefer actual magazines, and almost never read the digital versions. Yet, there are very few that I subscribe to. One of my favorites just went digital only, and that will be the end of it for me. I like a magazine that I can take with me to the restaurant and, while I can certainly take my Kindle, there are too many other things that I can read on the Kindle that I'm not so interested in reading a digital magazine.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't do digital magazines either, I just meant the info in the type of articles in magazines is online.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Reader's Digest is a really good one to ge
    I like a good deal on them and then when I am finished reading them, etc. I pass them on to others that like them or leave them in the waiting room of the Doctor's Offices I have appointments with. I have even left some on top of our mail box unit and they always disappear. :) While I do like getting books to read from the Library and I am a regular patron there I would not enjoy doing the magazines there as alot of times I like to cut out a recipe or an article that interests me, etc. And I don't like reading books or magazines online. My daughters bought me a Kindle when they first came out so that I could read my books on that, I hated it as I love holding a book in my hand and turning the pages, bookmarking it and setting it aside until I'm ready to go on reading it, etc. So I told them how I felt and asked them if they would be hurt if I brought the Kindle back and used the money for something else that I would use. Of course since they love me...they were fine with this. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree Babs, I like an actual book with a bookmark placed between the pages too. And there's just something about getting an older book from a library which has been borrowed and enjoyed many, many times. I have been trying to read all the Catherine Cookson classics before they go out of circulation.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

:)

9. @Babs: I think I mentioned it here on the forum a long time ago, but a site called rewardsurvey . com is a super place to find bunches of FREE magazine subscriptions.
    There's no catch to it, and the surveys are only a few basic questions.
    I have quite a few subscriptions, including Southern Living (wooo recipes!!), Time, Family Circle, Sports Illustrated, etc.
    They don't have Reader's Digest, though, at least not yet.

Babs Hunt and Von Jones like this.
  10. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

I subscribed to several digital US news magazines and then forgot to read them, because it is just not the same as having the copy in my hands.

11. Rewardsurvey has some digital subscriptions, too.

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a member of Rewards Survey and get a few of my favorite magazines. I have accumulated a lot of points so I order subscriptions that I feel my DIL would like that are in Spanish.

I've sold a lot of those magazines when I set up at the flea market for less than retail and to my surprise they went like hotcakes. Some people just prefer hard copies.

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have 2 magazines on subscription...one is bi-monthly and the other monthly... both subscriptions are renewed for me every year by my husband and daughter as part of a Christmas gift years ago..

I wouldn't waste money on those women's weekly type magazines which have all the rubbish 'true' stories in them...if I wanted to read nonsense there's plenty to read on the internet..

I do the same as you @Babs Hunt , I take the magazines after I've read them to the Doctors' surgery or the hospital waiting room...all the magazines there seem to be out of date by about 2 years..

Von Jones, Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to pass my magazines on to my daughters too...but they tell me they just don't have time to read magazines during this season of their lives so I don't do that anymore. There is always someone or somewhere to share them when I'm finished with them though. :)

@Holly Saunders I'm not into "nonsense" or "gossip" magazines either. The ones I subscribe to are those that full of things I am interested in.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Holly Saunders likes this.