Macgyver Is Coming Back, Sort Of

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Yvonne Smith, May 20, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Back when I thought television was actually interesting, one of the shows that I enjoyed was called "MacGyver". He could do just about anything he needed with whatever stuff he found laying around , and his ideas have come to be known as "MacGyvering" something .
    So, I was interested when I saw that they have decided to remake the series, and watched the trailer. I was not impressed with their choice of actor to play the part, but I supposed it will satisfy the younger people who will undoubtedly be the ones watching the new program.
    Many of them probably have never watched the original series, and do not know what an awesome character the original MacGyver was.
    I am sure that this updated version of the series will have some good ideas and lots of drama; but I doubt that I will watch it anyway.
    I don't think that the re-make of the A-Team went over very well, either.
    They can have a guy doing the same kinds of amazing things as the original, but they are missing the charisma that the original actor/actors had.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't find most remakes are better either. I really enjoyed "Charlies Angels" but did not enjoy the remake at all. I have enjoyed some of the James Bond updates, especially when Pierce Bronson played him. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    I give up with remakes, never can capture the original
    You've brought back memories there, will have to see if I can get a couple of episodes - the 'original' :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm...well that was disappointing. I enjoyed Richard Dean Anderson on General Hospital, and loved him as MacGuyver. He was manly and believable. The actor in this trailer (apparently Lucas Till is his name) looks as if he skipped his high school science class to pop into the film. Apparently they're trying to attract geeks and gamers, and perhaps the crew resurrecting the show will be successful, since as mentioned, they probably won't be familiar with its predecessor. The best part of that trailer was George Eads. If he had been cast as MacGuyver, I might have wanted to watch, but I think it would be difficult to watch him playing second fiddle in this series.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just show the original I say :p

6. Yvonne Smith

Just for us oldster MacGyver fans.......... Here he is in what is kind of a Mercede-Benz commercial/short drama.
    Not sure how long ago this was; but it is a lot more recent than his MacGyver years, for sure.
    He still has that old-time MacGyver voice and charm, that part is definitely true. Enjoy.

Von Jones and Diane Lane like this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I seem to be in the minority here but I thought MacGyver was a stupid show. Half a dozen men with guns trying to kill him and his friends, he manages to get the jump on one of them, tosses the gun aside and tries to figure a way to beat them with a tube of preparation H.
    His refusal to use a gun, even to save someone's life was an idiotic way of spreading his anti-gun message.
    The above is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

8. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

Bronson was a really good 00 man

9. Yvonne Smith

I never really cared for the James Bond movies; but I do like Pierce Brosnan (not Bronson, that was Charles Bronson, and I like his acting, too).
    One of my favorite Brosnan movies, and I think you will like this one if you have not seen it before,
    @Babs Hunt , is called "The Thomas Crown Affair". It is actually also a remake of an older 60's film starring Steve McQueen movie of the same name. I actually have never watched the original movie; but I really do like the Pierce Brosnan version of it.

Von Jones and Babs Hunt like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

I see what you are saying @Sheldon Scott , and I think that in his way, it probably was anti-killing, not just anti-gun. That was probably one of the likeable things about the show, at least to me.
    Instead of just pulling out his own gun and shooting back, like most of the other adventure/action shows; MacGyver thought out an answer to solve the problem.
    He often was able to save the day without having to kill other people, just because of his ingenuity and imaginative use of the things he found around him.
    It gave an interesting twist to the show because we never knew just what extraordinary method MacGyver would think of to get them all out of the immediate dilemma.
    Of course,then there was the A-Team, who shot up, blew up, or somehow outsmarted the enemy in every episode, and they all managed to walk out of it not only alive, but usually unhurt.
    I remember one episode where the bad guys' helicopter ended up crashing into the face of a cliff , exploded and burned up; but all of the bad guys amazingly survived the crash and walked away unharmed.
    Life was just much simpler back in those days, Sheldon. Much better than the movies now, where people die in the most graphic and unspeakable ways possible. Yes, I will stick with the old MacGyver style of television.

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    Love Pierce Brosnan - I have a movie of his its called 'Evelyn' - its set in Ireland - fabulous film :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked Pierce Brosnan as Remington Steel.

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This is my kind of show! Action and mayhem:). I watched MacGyver back then too. The trailer is awesome and I look forward to watching the remake.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Loved the Mercedes ad, @Yvonne Smith, definitely worth watching. I don't even remember noticing he didn't use a gun, but I was living in Massachusetts at the time, so guns weren't as prevalent as they are here in Texas, which is probably why I didn't notice. I'd much rather them have revived the series with the original actors, but I'm sure they're trying to attract a younger, hipper audience.

@Sheldon Scott Ha ha, i almost spit out my coffee when I read your Preparation H comment! :p

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  15. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I never watched McGyver back in the day. It must have been on during my "no TV mode" Anyway, I am not surprised that it is being remade, because it was really popular. It has even led to a phrase "Mcgyvering it" which means to come up with a new and innovative solution to any problem that seems insurmountable. It could also be another word for jerryrigging it, I guess, possibly, that might be a misuse of the word. Anyway, the remake sounds like fun. However, something has to be pretty amazing for me to fork over money to go the theater.