Low Carb Zucchini Hummus

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found this recipe for making hummus from zucchini squash, and I love hummus; so I decided to try it. I found the yellow squash on sale and thought that would add a nicer color than the green zucchini does, so I made my hummus with that.
    It is easy to make, just add everything into the food processor and blend until it is smooth. I like a little mayo in my hummus, and so I added a couple spoons of that in with everything else, It turned out great, and I think that I will like this as well as i do the regular hummus made with garbanzo beans.
    Now I am trying a batch of flax-meal crackers to go with the hummus. They have basically no carbs and LOTS of fiber, plus the Omega 3 oil. I have never tried making crackers before, but here is the recipe for those, too, incase anyone else wants to try making some of these.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/garlic-parmesan-flax-seed-crackers-low-carb-267501?ftab=reviews

IMG_0412.JPG

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That sounds good, I love hummus. My daughter has a good friend who makes some low carb flaxseed crackers and those are delicious. She'll sometimes make some for my daughter and I just happened to Ben there the last time she did...yummy.

Would this hummus be lower calorie than the one made with garbanzo beans?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yes, It should be lower calorie, too, because summer squash (green or yellow) is lower calorie than any of the dry beans like garbanzo beans. By the time you add the garlic and cumin, it gives it almost the same smell and taste of regular hummus. You can adjust the amount of spices and salt that you add to please what tastes good to you.
    Since I used yellow squash, I didn't even peel them, and just chopped them into chunks and put it all in the food processor.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, this is one I will try! What do you consider "medium" squash? The usual size you see in stores?

5. Yvonne Smith

Yes, that is what I assumed. When compared to a home-grown zucchini, those would be considered tiny; but for what is sold at the store they are all about the same size as a large cucumber, or thereabouts.
    My flax crackers got burnt, so next batch, I will try with the oven at a lower temperature, and see if they come out better. The edges were too dark; but the rest of the crackers were fine, and I just turned off the oven and left the oven door cracked open and let the crackers stay in there and get crispy.
    We tried some with the hummus, and they actually worked just fine, and tasted okay with the hummus dip; so I will look for some other recipes and try some other ones out. I like the idea of making my own healthy snack crackers, and Bobby is pleased with this, too. He even said that he liked the hummus, and I don't think that Bobby is a big hummus fan.
    I used the pizza cutter and scored the crackers into squares before I baked them, and then afterwards used the pizza cutter again , sliced along the lines I had scored, and then broke them into little squares. I made them about the size of those little cheeze-it (or whatever they are called) crackers.
    Eventually, I would like to add some veggies, like carrots, to the crackers; but first I have to get better at making just the basic cracker.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'll have to ask my daughter what recipe her friend uses for the crackers, all is know is they are low carb because my daughter watches carbs more than I do.

They're on their way to Hawaii right now though...for spring break. They return next Friday and that's when I'm going over for Easter and bdays.