Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I looked up the Dreamfields pasta, and while it does have added fiber , it is still regular Durham wheat pasta, and it is most definitely NOT a low carb food.
    If you are wanting to eat low carb meals, @Lon Tanner , you need to check out the carb grams on each item to see whether it is actually low in carbs per serving.
    Some foods, like flax or chia seeds, have carbs, but they are mostly indigestible fiber, making them excellent choices for a low carb WOE, because they provide a lot of nutrients and fiber , and very few digestible carbs.
    If you look at the foods that @Steve North eats each day, you will see that Steve is extremely knowledgeable about low carb foods, and he can really help you in your desire to eat low carb.
    C5B6E35F-17D7-485B-8828-A6D726511EA3.jpeg

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't eat lots of carbs and don't worry about it.

3. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

If you think that 41 grams of carbohydrates per only 2 ounces is low carb, .... unfortunately you are mistaken..
    I eat about 20 to 30 carbs total per day.. Rarely more .... I eat extremely well and healthy..
    Look at the first ingredient which is flour.... Remember the 5 foods that we don't eat !!!! ... Flour, Sugar, Rice, Potatoes, and Corn ...
    2 ounces barely fills a cavity as far as I am concerned.. Like 2 forks full..
    Now, how about the sauce ???
    I can easily eat about 3 cups of pasta if not more which would make it a humongous amount of carbs.. Add sauce to that and I just gained a few pounds..

By the way, I was at a Wallmart today and they don't carry the Dreamfields pasta and they never heard of it....

On the other hand Lon.... if you can eat that and maintain your weight, all the better for you.... Personally I can't..

4. Steve North

Registered

Supper today was a BBQ chicken I bought at Wallmart when we went to Sudbury to see the movie, Downton Abby...
    I had the 2 legs and my wife had the breast........... Now, I bought 2 chickens so we can have more tomorrow..
    I made some coleslaw to go with it..
    S/F lime jello with heavy cream for dessert....

Breakfast was 3 scrambled eggs with some mozzarella cheese on it..
    Pot of coffee..

Lunch was a side salad with a bit of roasted chicken breast in it..
    Salad had lettuce, tomato, radicchio, cucumber and radish...Ranch dressing about 2 tablespoons..
    Cup of coffee................ I always drink my coffee BLACK ...

I ask you, how bad was the days food.. I ate plenty and low carb..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Steve North

Registered

Tonight again supper will be ................................ HOK ...

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Dreamfields Pastais now available at mostWalmartSupercenters.Spaghetti, Elbow, Penne Rigate, Angel Hair and Rotiniareavailable.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The point is, Dreamfields has more fiber than regular pasta but it is NOT low-carb.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Steve North

Registered

Lon.... You forgot !!!!!!
    I live way up in northern Ontario where the is NO Wallmart unless I go to Sudbury which is 125kms away from me...
    Canadian stores do NOT carry the same products as the American ones..
    now, that said, since when is 40 odd carbs per 2 ounces considered low carb ???
    You shouldn't have more that 30 carbs per day if you want to lose weight..... preferably 20 carbs...
    your pasta is made with flour.... I pass on that....
    I will stick to my way of eating and wish you all the best for your way..
    I lost about 150 pounds on low carb and kept it off for about 30 years....

9. Steve North

Registered

Supper tonight was a vegetable casserole with some tuna in it..
    I used a ton of veggies, heavy cream, cheese, a can of tuna, herbs and spices..
    We always like that dish.. It is very filling, tasty, and healthy as well as low carb...

10. Steve North

Registered

supper tonight will be the other BBQ chicken I bought on Tuesday..
    I will serve it cold but I will have a hot veggie to go with it..
    Steamed cauliflower
    S/F jello with heavy cream for dessert..

Breakfast: as usual.. 3 egg omelette with turkey bacon for my wife ... and 3 scrambled eggs with a sausage for me..
    Pot of Folgers..

Lunch: as usual, NOTHING ......

11. Steve North

Registered

Today is Friday which is food shopping day..
    again, I have no idea what to make for supper which means I will buy something while shopping..
    Most likely some "dead bird" (chicken) that I will end up putting it on the BBQ...
    If not, I still have a load of those chicken burgers I made that will also hit the BBQ...

12. Steve North

Registered

I know I went food shopping yesterday but I still don't know what to make for supper tonight.. The problem is I have way too many choices but I must do something..
    I bought a small ton of B/S chicken breasts (they were on special) so I think I will use up 2 of them for tonight..
    I will take 2 breasts and slit it in the thickness making a pocket (not cutting all the way) and stuff the inside with some veggies, cheese, herbs, and spices.. I will then sear them in a cast iron fry pan and then put the pan into a preheated hot oven to cook.. Before baking, I will brush on top some BBQ sauce for flavour..

As a veggie, (although there are veggies in the breast) I will cube and steam some turnip I have from our vegetable garden, add some butter and parsley before serving.. The reason I'm serving turnip as well is because I have loads of turnip in the garden to use up.. Besides, its a good veggie that when properly cooked is delicious and healthy.......... {I also like making a turnip casserole}

Dessert will be spiked S/F pudding made with heavy cream instead of milk.. Vanilla with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg..

Breakfast:... A 3 egg omelette with turkey bacon for my wife and ......... 3 scrambled eggs with a sausage for me..
    Pot of dark Folgers coffee..

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

We had liver and onions with collard greens, shredded and all sautéed together. It was both delicious, and very low carb. I have been craving liver lately, so it must have had something that my body needs right now.
    We still have some left, and I may have that for tomorrow’s meal.

14. Steve North

Registered

Yvonne....... what kind of liver was it.. I also love liver but, baby beef and cut thick as I like it very rare with a big ton of fried onions..

My chicken that I made for supper was sooo good that my wife asked me to keep the recipe and definitely make it again...
    I couldn't make the turnips so I threw together some coleslaw instead.. I just ran out of time..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

When we were at the farmers market , there were some people who had a cattle ranch, and they were selling the fresh ranch-raised, grass-fed beef. Most of it was just too expensive for our food budget, but the liver was reasonably priced, so we bought a package of it.
    It far surpasses the liver we can find at the stores, which is sometimes pork and sometimes beef, and always frozen.
    I like mine cooked more than rare, but still pinkish inside so it is flavorful and tender, and with lots of onions added. Since I had the shredded collard greens, I thought those would make a fine addition and add extra nutrition, and they worked out beautifully !