Low Carb / Recipes

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Don..
    Fat isn't the problem on Low Carb..
    What's wrong with heavy cream ?? It is a low carb item....

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nothing is wrong with cream...that is the point. The idea is that you can make milk (normally a fairly high-carb item) from cream (a low-carb item) and use it in recipes in which milk is the only high sugar ingredient. That was my only point.

3. Steve North

Registered

I agree with you..
    Good suggestion.....

4. Steve North

Registered

My meatloaf recipe comes form the "Linda" site but I sort of spiked it up a bit....
    One pound of minced.... I use either minced chicken or minced turkey... That is the only minced we use other than Moose...
    One very good shot of ketchup .... I don't measure but it is about 2 Tablespoons
    Sliced mushrooms... again I don't measure but a generous amount.. about 2 or 3 large size..
    Diced onion ..... about 1/2 a large..
    One egg .... I use the extra large eggs.. I have used 2 eggs before and it was OK.... That will thicken it up somewhat as it cooks.. 1 egg is better..
    Salt, pepper, teaspoon of garlic powder, to taste..
    Now, it will be a bit loose, so I use some wheat gluten flour to thicken it up a bit... Wheat gluten is low carb.. On maintenance, I can use breadcrumbs...... Use whatever you like to thicken it up a bit...
    Mix everything together..
    Put in a loaf pan and bake at (I like 375f) till it is brown on top and the sides start to pull away... About 40 minutes.. Let sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan..

If you like your meatloaf spicy, add the spices you like.. We don't..
    I sometimes add a small dash of thyme for a different flavour..

I put the loaf on a plate and let everyone cut their own portion..

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Steve, I have looked at some of the recipes on the sites you posted. I saw that pork skins can be used as a binder in some of them. That is useful information for me. I have an old tried and true meatloaf recipe that everybody loves. My sister asked me last week to try to low carb it. My recipe uses oatmeal as a binder. That is the only carb in the loaf itself. If I use the crushed pork skins, it will be low carb. Now I just have to find a low carb topping.

One (Maybe more than one) of the recipes uses coconut flour in place of flour. Have you tried that in any of your recipes?

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have used coconut flour , and I like it best when mixed with almond flour. The coconut flour seems lighter to me, and the almond adds more substance to it.
    Mostly I just use almond flour and not coconut. I also add some psyllium husk , flax and chia seeds for more filling and fiber.
    I think that would work fine for most meatloaves as well.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  7. Steve North

Registered

I have used flax seeds ground up into a powder before as a filler.. The only problem now is I don't have any in the house but I will be buying some this week-end..
    I also like to make flax seed muffins.. Awesome with butter or cream cheese when warm from the oven....
    Personally, I absolutely hate coconut in any form.... There are only 2 foods that I can live without and they are coconut and pumpkin...

As far as the meatloaf goes, I am on maintenance which means I can use a bit of oatmeal as filler and get away with it... But I try not to...

Have any of you ever tried wheat gluten ??? a flour that is extremely low carb...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Steve North

Registered

WANT TO TRY SOMETHING A BIT DIFFERENT WITH MEATLOAF ????

Make your mixture and then put it into muffin tins which will give you about a dozen individual loaves, If not more....
    You can then top them differently with either ketchup, BBQ sauce, or whatever you like...
    They bake much faster than in a loaf tin..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Steve North

Registered

Thanks Beth... It looks like something I will try at some point..
    I love my ice-cream...

I also have a recipe to make low carb ice-cream that I got from Linda's Recipe forum... I tried once and it was good but quite hard when frozen.. I used my chain saw to cut it up... After it softened up, it was delicious...

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was thinking that this "recipe" would work better in an ice-cream maker that stirs the mix until it's frozen. The instructions in the video to take it out of the freezer every hour or so to stir it seems a little much.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep, I think an ice cream maker would make this easily. Thanks, @Beth Gallagher.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Steve North

Registered

Absolutely but there again, is it worth it to get an ice-cream maker for the few times you will use it ???
    After using it a few times, it seems to gather dust in the closet with all the other gadgets used only a few times..
    Like the vegetable juicer, yogurt maker, frozen fruit crusher, waffle maker, crepe maker, egg cooker, and many more.. I have all of those items in my storage closet and rarely use them..

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We have two ice cream makers already. One is larger that was used when we had children home and is now used for grandchildren sometimes. The other is one that attaches to our KitchenAid mixer and is used for gelato and such in small quantities.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We have a small Cuisinart ice cream maker that we use a lot in the summertime. It was not very expensive and we've had it several years now.

We also have the old-fashioned "churn" that is stored in the garage; it doesn't get used much anymore.

Don Alaska likes this.