Low Carb / Recipes

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the foods that is off the list for both low-carb eaters and gluten-intolerant people, is wheat products, bread being one of the main ones.
    I have been following a low-carb diet for most of this year, and after reading more about ketogenic diets, have settled into that routine, and am now finding some new low-carb recipes that I think I will like.

Anyway, on to the adventure ! !
    This is such a simple bread to make, and takes just a little over a minute to cook in the microwave. You can be proud of me, @Frank Sanoica , because I did actually cook food in the microwave.
    No phytonutrients in eggs, so I guess I am safe on this one.
    It is just coconut flour, butter, egg, and cream/water with some baking soda and cream of tartar , and here is the link for the recipe:
    https://ketoincognito.wordpress.com...ead-and-then-there-was-bread-and-it-was-good/

Here is the picture of how it turned out after cooking and then toasting for a few minutes to brown it. I made a cheese and bacon with romaine sandwich, and it tasted pretty good, too ! !
    IMG_0361.JPG I am impressed and will be experimenting with more recipes soon.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks and sound delicious. It seems an easy recipe too. I love easy recipes! It's so nice to have recipes for the special diets we are on. I always look
    for something that is no sugar added or sugar free. I always hope that Walmart will have no sugar added pastries or sugar free pastries for I really
    don't like to bake and have no time for baking. Thanks for the recipe for it's so healthy too!

3. Yvonne Smith

I have been on the low-carb diet for a while now, @Krissttina Isobe , and I just love it ! While I can't say that the pounds are just melting off of me, they are slowly disappearing, and I have lost over 30 lbs so far, and all with not ever feeling hungry.
    I sometimes do miss the high-carb foods that we are used to having in the diet, like bread for sandwiches, and this microwave recipe is not only easy, there are only about 5 carbs in both slices of bread ! !
    It only took a few minutes to stir everything up and then another minute or so to microwave it. The finished product was kind of an off-white, but I toasted it a bit in the pan and that gave it the look of real toast.
    I added ham and cheese and a bit of lettuce, and it was a proper sandwich, and barely added any carbs to my day's food intake.
    Not only that, but this, or a similar recipe can be used to make other things that are usually made with regular wheat flour, so I am looking forward to expanding my horizons again soon.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:)Fantastic!!! I got to loose weight too, but I'm weak. But I'll look into what you're doing to loose weight too-thanks!!!!!

5. Yvonne Smith

The hardest thing when you are on a diet is dealing with hunger pangs. With the low-carb diet, there is NO hunger pangs, and you actually eat less just naturally because the foods you eat are satisfying and keep you feeling full much longer.
    Even though foods that I used to crave still look appealing to me, it is not like before where I used to literally crave those foods, and could not say no to them. Now, it is easy to just walk on past and not even look when I am grocery shopping, and I detour right on past the whole bakery department.
    I still allow myself "anything goes" meals, but I do it once a week, so it does not become a habit again, and I stil feel like I can have any food that I want, just not all of the time.
    Not only that, but besides losing weight, I also have so much more energy, and I am walking more, usually over a mile each day. That is not a lot; but it is much better than I was doing before, and I can feel my muscles toning up now, too.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:(You know what I've actually gained 5 pounds now! It was so frustrating for I've fasted, did without my favorite pastries too and still gained 5 pounds when I went to my next doctors visit! Thus I've started more vegetable soups made at home. I can fit into my smaller clothes now. I love fried foods, so I've cut down on it and bake things more instead of frying. Going in Feb. 2017 for next doctor check up, but feeling better and seems to be keeping the weight off and I don't feel so bloated now. Good luck to both of us on loosing weight!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

The low carb microwave bread looks good and easy to make. I have coconut flour so I might try making some of that tommorrow just for fun, or not...I just bought some buns, but anyway, they have a number of those low carb recipes on Pinterest. I love Pinterest because I can always find something really interesting on there, food, fashion, crafts you name it, they have it. It is really a cute and informative site.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    What are your thoughts on making dough, any kind of dough, whether raised for bread, or pancakes, muffins, etc., using NO white flour whatsoever?

Such as, all Rye, all Whole Wheat, all Buckwheat, or a combination of any of those?
    Frank

9. Yvonne Smith

I don't know that much about baking dough using only whole grain flours, @Frank Sanoica . When I have made WW bread, the dough is a lot heavier than when using regular dough, and takes a lot longer to rise. They are bound to have a lot more nutrients than the stripped and bleached white flour has.
    I imagine that you can find recipes that use only whole grains if you look online.

I am not much of a baker, and since I am on a low-carb eating plan, I don't eat any kind of regular bread, regardless of whether it is made with white or whole wheat flours. They all have way too much carbs for me to even think about.
    That is the reason that I tried making the coconut flour microwaved bread; because sometimes it is just nice to have a regular sandwich to eat.
    I feel so much better now, and I am losing weight and exercising so much more than I was able to do before, and don't have hunger pangs or low-energy days like I used to have.
    When I am worn out now, it is because I have burned up enough calories that I am legitimately tired out, not just because I am low-energy.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm following a low carb diet as well ,I've not lost any weight in about two weeks I've been on it but I'm sure I will .To be honest I don't feel hungry ..I'm a member of a low carb site where I have found the support to be excellent .
    I made pancakes for lunch a few days ago using cottage cheese ,eggs and psyllium husks ..they are so so light and tasty ( the recipe is on the site ) psyllium has no carbs at all .
    I bought a packet of coconut flour ..however checking the pack after getting home I found it's high in carbs ,I was recommended to use ( and like ) almond flour ,which if you have a reasonable blender can be home made
    I have a nutibullet it makes quick work of turning almonds into flour

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Awesome ! I am sure that you will start losing weight soon, too, @Kate Ellery . There is a great website called Carb Manager which has some excellent tools for keeping track of your carb intake. I have posted more info and the link in the low-carb diet thread in the health/diet section of this forum.
    It takes a while for your body to change over from fueling itself with sugar to fueling itself with fat ketones instead, which is why you have to be so very low-carb at first.
    Once that happens, and you start burning fat for fuel, then the fat should start coming off, and you will notice the difference, and you won't be hungry, either.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith

You are, what was once known as a "Trooper".

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

There are several different sites with Low Carb recipes but this one has hundreds of good and easy food dishes.. They offer all kinds of meals, ideas, and cooking methods......
    Just click on either menus, recipes,or whatever choice you would like and see for yourself...

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Here is another one that is very good with loads of recipes.. Just open up the topic you would like and see for yourself...

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCarbohydrateCooking-Recipes.htm

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  14. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Tomorrow for breakfast I will be making pancakes..... That's right.... PANCAKES ....
    I will use almond flour mixed with wheat gluten as the flour base and add an egg, milk, and whatever else goes into the batter...
    I have a sugar free syrup that we use..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I found a recipe for a no-carb/low-carb milk. Take heavy cream (very little sugar if any) and dilute it with water depending on what cream you can get and how much fat you want in your milk If your cream is 38% fat--the usual in the U.S.--dilute it with water 1 part cream to 9 parts water and add 6 to 8 drops of stevia or other acceptable sweetener. You can then use this in anything that calls for milk.

Yvonne Smith likes this.