Low Carb Diet Plans

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I absolutely agree that there is probably NO eating plan that works for every one, and the one that a person can stay on (happily) and lose weight is the right one for them.
    I have lost over 30 lbs over the last few months, a slow but steady weight loss, and at the same time I have built up my muscle tone because of doing the exercises at the fitness center, and at home. So, I have lost fat and gained muscle while still losing overall weight at the same time.
    I allow myself some meals that can be anything I want; so I do not feel deprived, and then I get right back on schedule again.
    How long have you been following Weight Watchers ?

K E Gordon likes this.
  2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Gosh, that is a tough question, I have been on it off and on over the years. However, what they are doing currently with all the flexibility is the best plan so far I think. My doctor also told me, that Weight Watchers is the number one diet for losing weight worldwide, Most likely a function of how long they have been around, and how many branches they have, plus the fact they offer specials, and re invent their program often is part of the reason.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I've tried weight watchers...twice and failed both times. So did my daughter, she also failed. My sister in law had success with it.

Only low carb/good carb works for me. The most I ever had to lose was about 30lbs when I quit smoking....did that with south beach or the 17 day diet....they are similar.

I've done Atkins but don't think I can go that strict with carbs. I'm an all day eater and I don't have to lose weight now but I surely can't afford to gain it.

I've only been overweight twice in my life....after my first child and when I quit smoking but my whole life has been watching what I eat.

Having a slow metabolism never helped either but I never blamed it for being overweight when I was.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I am wondering if I am the only one on the forum who is on a low-carb diet for weight loss ? Maybe I am the only one on any kind of a diet , we haven't had many posts in this section lately.
    In any case, what I wanted to share is a website called Carb Manager. They also have an app for Apple iOS, and soon one for Android as well, according to the webpage.
    Carb manager can show you all of the nutrients in anything that you eat if you want it to. There are charts and graphs for food, water, exercise, and even a place to add recipes.
    I like that when you enter in the food that you are eating, they give you a sliding chart so that you can put in the exact amount you are eating, and not just go by what amount they put in, like most of the food diaries do. How do I know if I am eating 100grams of something , for heaven's sake ?
    The website is free to use, the app cost me $3, and then I signed up for the premium edition once I had tried it and decided that I liked how it works.
    The Carb Manager tracks carbs, fats, fiber, and protein and also total calories for each day. When you exercise and add that in, then it shows you how many calories you have burned, as well.
    The chart goes into total detail of what nutrients were in the food you ate, so you can also see vitamin and mineral content; but you need the premium version to get the whole chart.
    Here is the webpage so anyone who is interested can check this out. This is also a great app to have if you just want to track your food intake for nutrients, even if you are not on a diet to lose weight.

https://www.carbmanager.com/index.html

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not really dieting now but should. I've always followed low carb when dieting and even when I'm just maintaining.

I've gotten off track lately...this summer messed me up a little but do need to get back and maybe lose 3 lbs..it's not a lot but when you don't feel like doing it, it's hard.

I have a drs appt oct.31 and I think I'll wait til after that to start...see what my blood test shows, etc.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's so terrific that Yvonne no longer has AFib. I'm going to look into the Paleo and keto diets for my Mom who has AFib and is so tired all the time. She has a pacemaker already and 90. I hope it works for her too. I hope things keep going great for all. Me too I got to loose weight.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife claims to now be urinating ketones as a result of her very low carb diet, and that that is good! I am not so sure of the good in this, if it's so. The simplest ketone is Dimethyl Ketone, also called Acetone, and also known as "Finger Nail Polish Remover".

Acetone is pretty nasty stuff in a lot of ways. It thins lacquer paint real well, removes some other kinds of paint, and is ion general, a pretty good solvent.

But peeing ketones?? I dunno.

8. Yvonne Smith

Registered

This is a totally different thing, @Frank Sanoica , and it is not such a bad thing as you are imagining. We have two fuels that our body can use, sugar is one, and fat ketones is the other.
    When we burn sugar, only a small amount can be stored in the blood and be usable for energy. So, if we eat more than we can burn off, we trigger insulin which is our body's fat-storing hormone, and the extra sugar is stored as fat.
    However, when we burn fat ketones, we have a constant source of fuel that the body can use. You do have to limit the carbs to about 20 grams per day to reach the state of ketosis, which is when we start burning ketones as fuel.
    Once you burn fat, then insulin is not triggered, and no fat is stored. Of course, if you are trying to lose weight, you still have to limit the amount of calories you eat, because otherwise you will just be burning off the fat from the food you eat, and not the fat from on your body. But once you are burning fat, and not eating a lot of it, then your body starts burning your own fat. Athletes can eat huge amounts because they will burn off all of it exercising.
    Many athletes are turning to a ketogenic diet because the can do a whole marathon and not need fuel like they would if they were burning sugar.

This is also used by cancer patients.
    Cancer cells exclusively live on sugar in the blood. When there is no sugar being taken in, they literally starve to death. It is also being used to treat seizures; because it seems to help stop the brain from going into seizures. Doctors have known for a long time that eating sweets can trigger seizures, but now they are starting to actually treat it with the ketogenic diet.
    This is all pretty fascinating information if you do some research into it, Frank ! !

9. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I watched an incredible movie tonight about a child who was having seizures, and none of the treatments or drugs were helping, and in fact, the poor little fellow kept getting worse and worse, and it was looking like he might either die or end up severely retarded.
    The movie is called "First, Do No Harm", and it stars Meryl Streep. They end up taking the child to John Hopkins University, where he is placed on the ketogenic diet, and the see improvement in his condition right away.
    Although this is a movie, it is based on a true story, and some of the actors in the movie are actually other people who were on the ketogenic diet for seizures, and recovered.
    Here is the link on Youtube where you can watch the whole movie. This is a very emotional movie.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I see the movie was made in 1997, how is the child now? I didn't watch the movie...don't like sad ones.

11. Yvonne Smith

Registered

So, it is time for an update on my low-carb dieting. Over the past year, I have lost close to 40 lbs, which is a much slower loss than I was hoping for; but still better than not losing any weight at all, or even gaining more weight.
    A year ago, most of my weight was flab and very little muscle; but the exercise most days has strengthened my muscle tone, and now part of the weight is muscles and part is flab, but the flab is going away ! (Hooray ! )
    This year, I am going to continue the same program, since it is simple for me to do, I enjoy what I eat, and am not having food cravings like I used to have. The doctor explained that my kidney and possibly liver function could be impaired from the medicine that I take for my heart; and one of the things that a ketogenic diet is supposed to help is kidney and liver function.
    I want to get more steps that I did last year, too.
    My fitness tracker (Jawbone UP24) tells me how many steps I take each day, as well as calories I burn, and the carb-tracker app also keeps track of both exercise and food intake, and I can see graphs and charts showing my weekly and monthly improvements.
    Bobby says it is not a good idea for me to walk around the neighbor hood, and he is right.
    This is not the safest area, plus I might get too far away and have trouble getting back home if I start having trouble walking. So........ I have decided that I will go down to the new little Walmart Market and walk.
    It is close by, and safe, and I can do it in just about any weather.
    Plus, I can stop and sit down if I need to do so. So that is added into my game plan for this year, and I really WANT to get down to my goal weight , maybe by this summer if I work hard, but at least by fall.

Sheldon Scott and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Registered

The new exercise bicycle came today, and Bobby set it up for me. My knees are bending just fine for me to ride it, which is awesome news ! The last time I tried the one at the fitness center (last fall), I still could not get the knee to bend enough for the exercise bike; but my persistence and exercise has paid off.
    The muscles sure know it though, and I can tell that it has been a long time since I have ridden a bike; so I am going to work into it slowly and then get into using the arms along with it.
    Bobby took a picture of me this morning, and I still have a ways to go to reach my target weight; but I am working on it, and getting closer.

Jeff Tracy likes this.
  13. Doc James

Doc James Member
    Registered

Low carb diet is beneficial if you pair it with exercise. It lessens the risk of an increased blood sugar level. Having to go on these diets may be tedious, but it doesn't mean that food should be bland when you are watching your weught. Here is a sample of a healthy diet with low carbohydrates, but is tasty and complete in nutrients. http://todaybeginsnow.com/gourmet/spicy-sausage-with-chicken-and-kale/
    for other interesting health related articles, pls follow our blog site,everybody.
    Click and subscribe to be able to recieve the latest hearticles on health and other topics that could benefit our generation.
    http://todaybeginsnow.com/

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Although I'm not trying to lose weight, I still watch my bad carbs...it's just a way of life for me.

Jeff Tracy likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I have been reading an interesting thing about having a slow metabolism, and it appears that this can actually be a good thing, if it happens for the right reasons. If our metabolism is slow because it is functioning poorly, then this is indeed a bad (very bad) thing. However, if it is working right, and we keep it at a slow rate, then we can probably live longer and be healthier during the years we do live, as well as looking younger.
    The slower the metabolism is, the slower we age.
    We have been told for a while now that we need to get the metabolism working faster to burn up those calories that we eat and process food. While we do need it to work right and process food properly, the faster our metabolism works, the faster we age, according to science and nutritionists.
    After I started reading about the health benefits of enzymes, then I started reading more about raw foods, and how much better they are for us than cooked foods because they still have the living enzymes.
    I have no intention of changing to a completely raw food diet; but I do think that it is important to have an ample supply of raw foods as part of what we consume each day.

http://www.beautifulonraw.com/is-your-metabolism-fast-or-slow.html

Jeff Tracy and Chrissy Cross like this.
  16. Yvonne Smith

Registered

Like some of the others here, I am starting again with a better eating plan. This summer, I went on a vacation with my daughter, Robin, and since it was only for a few days, and I really couldn't control what or where we ate much anyway, I decided just to take a break from the low-carb diet, and enjoy the vacation.
    I would have been fine if I had just done that; but once we got home, I just didn't get back on schedule again. Plus, I gave my smaller iPad to my daughter-in-law, and that is what I was using to listen to weight-loss tapes/apps at night; so I also stopped listening to the things that were helping to motivate me.
    Now that the cooler fall weather has arrived, it is time to start wearing jeans again............ and mine are too tight ! That was good motivation for me to get back on the program again.
    I got an iPad Mini to listen to the motivation apps, and started back with low carb eating again, seriously, and not the half-way that i have been doing this summer.
    I already feel better, and I had more energy today when we went to the fitness center to exercise. Losing weight seems to be a much slower process for me now than when I was younger and a lot more active; but I really WANT to fit back into those jeans again !

17. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith

You "fell off the wagon", a phrase my wife often uses regarding her super low carb efforts. It worked for ~ 6 months, then gradually diminished in weight loss effect. I cannot convince her that calories count. She uses heavy whipping cream only in her coffee (delicious, absolutely, health hearty, no, IMO.
    Frank

18. Steve North

Steve North Veteran Member
    Registered

I just noticed this topic.. I haven't gone back to read all the posts as there are too many..
    Let me tell you very briefly my story about low carbing..
    I once weighed 358 pounds and went to see my doctor to tell him I didn't feel good.. He told me after weighing me that with my weight I have only 2 options and they were, lose weight or die.. I chose the first option and I went on Atkins, which is low carb..
    Here I am some time later weighing around the 200 pound mark.. I lost just over 150 pounds.. I am still on low carb maintenance as I have reached my goal and am happy with the results.. I eat almost everything except I limit five (5) foods.. They are....

Flour of any kind and anything made with flour of any kind (pasta)
    Rice and anything made with rice
    Sugar and anything that has sugar
    Potatoes
    Corn and any form of corn

I also drink lots of water every day..
    That doesn't mean I don't, upon occasion, indulge in a small treat of any of the above, but they are generally out of my diet on a regular basis.. Life is just wonderful eating the way I do and I find it is healthy, eating lots of veggies, fish, meat and fruit..

Like I said, this is just a very brief story of my experience with low carb.. Worked fabulously for me and I still am watching my intake of bad carbs..

19. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I frequently eat all the above. My weight has always been okay except for the last couple of years. My problem is lack of exercise. I'm used to eating anything I want because I always got plenty of exercise. But with a knee replacement, the other knee hurting and the instability caused by parkinsons, I just can't get much exercise. I need to lose about 15 pounds and I can usually do that by eating small portions 5 or 6 times per day. Got to get started ( as soon as I finish the cake and ice cream).

20. Yvonne Smith

Registered

Yes, that is exactly what I did, @Frank Sanoica , and since both sugar and wheat are extremely addictive, it is like an alcoholic taking a drink and falling off the wagon.
    As I have said before, @Sheldon Scott , low carb is not the answer for everyone, we all have to learn our body, and do what works for us. Like @Steve North said, for those of us for whom it is the answer, it works fabulously.

To address the calorie statement, Frank ...... yes calories DO count, but differently than just low-calorie dieting, when you are on low carb eating plan.
    Carbs stimulate insulin, which is the body's fat-storing hormone; so the more carbs you eat the more fat it stores. When you are eating low-carb/ketogenic, you are burning fats and not sugars; so it does not trigger insulin. However, if you are eating more fats and proteins than your body needs, then it is going to burn the fat that you are eating, and not the fat on your body.
    Also, if you are eating a lot of protein, up to half of that can be processed like carbs, thus triggering insulin; so too much protein is not good either.
    The trick is to eat the right combination of fats/proteins/carbs to not trigger insulin; and not so much of it that you just burn what you eat and not your own body fat.
    I use Carb Manager, and that keeps track of everything....carbs, proteins, fats, and calories, as well as the nutritional information for each meal that you eat.
    Here is the link if your wife is interested, Frank. They have a basic free version, and then a premium one if you want to see all of the charts and graphs.
    https://www.carbmanager.com/

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  21. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just this past week, decided i had gained way too weight. So downloaded a few apps to my phone to help me out. Just trying to lose 16 pounds for now
    will worry about the rest later. @Steve North ..carbs are my problem, but i do not eat large quantities anyway. I just cant knock out all carbs tho like some
    people do. But I can nip it in the bud some by not eating certain things-on a regular basis. Having battled weight all my life- but controlled very well,
    (when i was out dancing and carrying on like a fool) to me eliminating all or certain things , just make it harder to continue.
    Things I can not give up...beans and potatoes...was rasied on that and would eat more beans except hubby does not like the side effects.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  22. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    You are to be truly commended for your efforts. Intestinal fortitude at it's greatest display.

I am fortunate to have been somehow able to almost never be "overweight" for my entire life. As soon as I felt kind of "heavy", or my belt buckle was demanding a new notch, I just unconsciously ate less of the stuff contributing to the excess. I've been known to binge, however, once eating 1/2 gallon of ice cream in an evening, repeating such performance some days after. Overall, though, it has lately become more of a necessary effort to "keep the gut" off. I realize metabolism has slowed, exercise has become inadequate, eating has remained mostly the same, muscle tissue has been traded for fat, and I weigh the same as 50 years ago, around 155-160 lbs.

Fortunate, or maybe more likely, lucky. Frank