Looking For Photo Editing Software

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Von Jones, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

A few months back it was necessary for me to install a new Windows 7. In doing so this new Win7 does not have the photo editing program like the old Win7. I have been searching my old program files for it back not having any luck locating it. My gut tells me it's there but not as one program file.

So my hopes are that someone in the SoC family has an editing photo program that they are happy with.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Von Jones:. I use Irfanview. . It's free. . Not fancy, but probably as good as the one on Windows.

Von Jones and Thomas Stearn like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart, thank you. I did take a look at the link you provided. A lot of differences from the Win7 program I was using. I did find the photo editing function under a different name. Thank you again for your input.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Windows photo gallery comes with Windows essentials. I don't think it is available for download anymore.
    I use an old version of Roxio Photosuite 5.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joe Riley, that is correct about Windows Essentials no longer being available for downloading. I didn't know that until today when I searched for it.

6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne, you may also want to take a look at PhotoScape 3.7, Gimp, paint.NET which are all free and compatible with W7 (SP1).
    I have been using paint.NET but, meanwhile, would probably go for PhotoScape if I had to make a decision.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I seen the collage feature that PhotoScape has that I really like only for Win10. I think I will get this one for my Win10 PC.

Joe Riley and Thomas Stearn like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I have Windows 10 and use the photo software that comes with it. I also have/sometimes use Photo Pad Image Editor. With Windows 7, I had/used Photo Go software.

10. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Well spotted. This collage feature is exactly what paint.NET doesn't have.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have discovered a new (FREE !) photo-editing app, and I think that I will really like it. It is called Snapseed, and it can be used on just about any device, it looks like. I have put it on my ipad and my chromebook, and am now watching some of the tutorial videos about what all this app can do and how to use it for different effects.

There are some really easy and basic things that you can use that are presets, which help the look of the picture, and then there are more detailed applications that you can do which will really change how the photo looks. I am adding one of the tutorial that shows you some basic photo editing; but there are a lot more youtube videos that show some really dramatic effects that you can do with this app.
    (This guy is a bit of a chatterbox, at first, but then he shows how he edited a photo, and that part is pretty informative.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We are sending some photos to my SIL (wife's sister). One of the photos is a somewhat of a closeup of my wife's face. She was smiling, but the one side of her face was showing a lot of facial wrinkles. She didn't want that photo sent to her sister.

So, I started doing some online research, looking for photo editing software that would remove a lot, to some, facial wrinkles..............and I found one! It's called inPixio Photo Studio 12. Downloaded the Trial, tried out the Erase Objects part and it worked on erasing most of the wrinkles on the one side of her face where the wrinkles were very visual. I had to buy the software package in order to save the photo, but my wife was extremely excited to see how the picture looked. She loved it!

The Package cost $129.00, but that's for a lifetime of use and a CD being shipped to me. Photo editing software can be fairly cheap, but may not do the job of editing a photo the way you want it to look. Better software is going to cost, but $129.00 is still cheap compared to some other photo editing software that is some $200 to $300.

I take a lot of photos with my iPhone 12, download them to our desktop and edit as necessary. After that, they all go on USB's. I print out certain ones, most rodeo ones, and frame for our walls.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

That is what I call VAIN ! Photo editing is lying - aside from making lighting changes there is no reason edit a least family photos. Dont get pissed if others think the same thing. You post it you asked for it.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Hedi, that's why photo editing software is there...........to make people and scenery look better. There are those that have skin acne that don't like having their picture taken due to it, but with this software, the skin acne is all gone. Happy person!

Many seniors, not so with the younger ones, but with the older ones, they know they have large facial wrinkles, detest them and have tried different skin care products to get rid of them. Well, with this software, they're gone with a few clicks of a mouse.

Anyway, my wife absolutely loves the way she now can look in pictures. And, that's good enough for me!

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't see a problem with that. It doesn't differ drastically from using makeup, does it? Basically, it could be considered e-makeup.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.