Looking For A Place To Live

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I know. Have heard all crap before. I do not give a tinkers damn about fair market value. What happened to rent not being more than 30 percent of income ?

2. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Bill we can barley afford to move across the street ..let alone out of state. But tis a thought;)

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And, Hedi, just how many years ago was that? Remember, we are now in 2022. I do feel for you, but we've had to go thru these yearly rent raises numerous times. I don't like it and my wife really doesn't like it, but nothing can be done about it, except to pay or move. And, even if a person decides to move, the yearly rent raise will still be there.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Cody a normal increase here is 25- 75 a month.. not 175-500. That is a big jump!

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There is something to be said for living in lower cost of living areas. Texas used to consistently have lower real estate prices but things have changed.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, it is a big jump. Where we lived for 10 1/2 years, in northeastern Florida, the norm was 75 to 100 a month. And, my wife went a little nutty over that, but we paid it and stayed.

There are some lower costing apartments around here, but none of them look nearly as good (on the outside) as ours does. And, the 55+ apartments cost even more than we are paying per month. But, from what I know, most Seniors that have a nice Pension/SS can afford to pay the higher cost for 55+. We can't do that. We want to live in a safe place and generally the word "safe" comes at a higher cost.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Texas, I was paying $300 a month for a 3-bedroom house and, in Maine, I paid $14,500 total for the house I've been in since.

A quick look online tells me that rentals here range from $275 to $1,300 per month. I don't know how accurate that is though, since I doubt most of the rentals here are advertised online. For a town of a couple of thousand people, we have quite a few apartments, most of them along one street, but they're mostly rented by people who grew up here and want to retire here, but without the bother of maintaining a home. On some of them, the rental costs are based on income, I think.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Here there are co-op apartments that are owned by the "renters". They are mostly "Senior" apartments, some with common dining areas and workshops/craft areas. I don't know much more about them except when they advertise for new "members" to fill vacancies. I would think the target for housing prices would be small towns outside a commute radius of a larger city. More people commute virtually now than ever before, but small towns in semi-remote areas would probably offer the best prices. They wouldn't be suitable for those with severe chronic health problems, however.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, for reasons wife and I have discussed with each other, a move to anywhere around Las Vegas is out. Was thinking about Bullhead City, but they have a pretty big homeless problem. Much more than we even have here.

So, now it's research into northern Arizona, somewhere around Scottsdale, which has a nice/big rodeo each year. However, not anywhere in Phoenix. We know it gets hot, but for us now, "hot" is much better than freezing cold winters. Many seniors either live full-time in Nevada or Arizona or "Snowbird" there.