Looking For A Place To Live

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Including a Putt-Putt golf course...'cause no High-Noon showdown is complete without a windmill.

The article makes for an interesting read:
    -Bought by 2 brothers in 2005 for $730,000
    --$10,000,000 more sunk into the place
    -Sold in 2011 for less than $2,000,000 :confused:
    -Bounced back & forth between various owners
    -On sale today for the low low price of $4,700,000

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Bill Boggs

Registered

We'll just have to find you something.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Too old to change? I'm 72, and my wife just turned 74, and we will be relocating again. Don't really want to, but. Don't know where to either. This morning here: 12 degrees at 7AM and 3 inches of snow. And, next week we will really go into the deep freeze, with a little more snow. More Seniors that people would think, that live here and put up with winter months.

Ken Anderson and Bill Boggs like this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Well are you still liking Colorado though? It won't be long until things will be budding out and
    It will be warming up as the sun spreads its engergy again. Hope you get things worked out
    To your liking.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

we have lied in same apartment for 10 years come June. We are being forced out with price increases a s much as $500 more a month. It is not just our complex. My daughter is also going to have to find a new place. Her 2bd 2 bath apt is going from $1239 to $1700! She can barley make it now. Our area alone has grown so much and people keep moving to Texas and especially local to us. Plus al the California and New York people are abundant.
    Not only have prices gone way up- sq footage has gone down a new apartment rentals. A one bedroom at 650-670 sq feet start at $1200 and up.
    We really can not afford to move, but the bigger problem is finding a place we can afford. Pitiful that one SS check is short $7 even making rent. At the same time, it would be nice to have a new apt. with fresh paint and etc. When we do move will have to be a one bedroom to cut costs. Hubby has garage here that is where he has done all of his wood working for last ten years, We are not sure that a new place will even allow him to do that.
    Big pickle for us.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, Bill, not nearly as much as we did when we lived here before. Denver has grown immensely and that "growth" has made it up north here. A lot of "big city" young folks have moved into the city we are in and the local Seniors don't like it, but can't do anything about it.

We have a year to find a much better, more compatible (for us) place to live and that just might be out of Colorado.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

I like this not because it is happening to you but because you have made me aware of something I didn't know about. I feel for you. I've heard about that happening in New York but north Texas.? Guess you're right about all Those people coming to Texas. Hope you can find something
    @Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh, I hope you can find exactly what you're looking for even if you are not sure just yet.
    Good luck, Sir.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Hedi, we lived in a 2-bedroom/2-bath "bungalow" type apartment for 10 1/2 years in Jacksonville, FL. "Bungalow" meaning nobody over us or to the side of us. It was almost like a lake cottage. My wife hates it when, at the beginning of each year, rent goes up in apartments, but that's just part of renting. Our rent didn't go up last year, because new owners didn't take over until after we signed the lease again. But, our apartment here in northern Colorado is somewhat smaller than the one in Jacksonville was and someone lives on each side of us and behind us. Been here 2 1/2 years now, but just had to sign another 1-yr. Lease. Too old (72/74) to look for a new place in the middle of the winter!

Our apartment rent, alone with a detached garage for our Durango, went up $230 per month. We are now paying $1,800, but that doesn't include trash and water. My wife almost threw a fit, but, as the old saying goes, "either pay or give notice and move". We only hope she keeps her "at home" job for a few more months.

Only problem is, to rent a descent apartment, in a decently safe area, it's going to cost. With the stuff we have, we darn near require a 2/2 apartment.

Here where we live, we see a number of Texas and California plates and their not rental cars.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - agree apts do go up ..but not a dam $500 a month! That does not even include garage pest control, pet rent, and fees for all types of crap..or the garage ($85). Plus our whole complex is being renovated due to new ownership and last years snow storm. Our apt. and one other in this unit have not been renovated- and they clearly want it. But my daughters apartment in a totally different area is also going up $500 a month and no renovation. It is very frustrating, and none of this pandemic, inflation, and skyrocketing prices were in any of us older folks future of our so called (what a crock) Golden years. :mad::(:eek:

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I understand Bill :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, when we ask our manager about the $200 plus rent raise all she could say, and we've heard this before from a previous apt manager, "it's what the market value is now". She also told us that if we had checked out an apartment last year, in a different complex, we'd end up being surprised at the increase it was at now. Actually, last Sept. we did check out another apartment complex and the manager did tell us that in January 2022 the rent would go up on that one.

Our manager also told me that one 2-bedroom apt. here, that a couple have been living in for 11 years, the rent went up by $400. She told me that that resident has turned in their 30-Day Notice. We just can't do that! This morning it was 12 degrees at 7AM, with about 4 inches of snow on the ground. Can't move in that kind of weather and can't even look for a new place to live. Heck, we not even sure we want to stay living in the area or state.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

You might have to move here in Oklahoma.