Looking For A New Hangout

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bill Boggs, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

For some fifteen months I have been dieting and I have for most of that time been on a weight loss forum. I have not participated in that weight loss place for some time now. It has turned into something that it wasn't for some good while and I teen something like an alien there. I diet. I don't do much exercise because of certain health issues. Over the past fifteen months I have lost forty-four pounds, nothing earth shaking but still beneficial to me. I am no longer obese but still over weight. I guess I am looking for another weight loss forum where people weigh periodically and set goals and make it something of interest, if that is possible. I shall take this opportunity to wish all on this forum Happy New Year.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I could easily create a Dieting forum under the Health & Wellness category, if that would help. If you're looking for a diet specific forum, I'm sure there must be more than once choice out there.

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks for the offer, Ken. I don't know that any others would be interested. I need to lose another twenty-five pounds but it's helpful when a few others are also interested in participating. There's something about posting a weigh in one day a week and talking about it, getting and giving encouragement that makes it easier, maybe even possible.

4. Ken Anderson

I do well with a diet for a month or two. Then when things level out and I am no longer losing the amount of weight I began with, I lose interest. I lost forty pounds in one month combining Nutrisystem with a lot of walking but it was expensive, so when it got to where I was only losing a few pounds a month, it was hard to justify it and easier to cheat.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am on a diet for so many years now. My real problem, based on my introspection, is that I indulge in foods that I should not be eating. I also have high cholesterol and that's what's making me heavy. Maybe this coming year, I could discipline myself in eating just enough. That's the key, according to my husband who is very good when it comes to self-discipline. Just eat enough, he would say. But how could I eat just enough when friends and colleagues would be inviting me to buffet lunch and dinner? Or sometimes they would bring pasta or noodles in the office for snacks. So you see, indulgence is the root of my weight problem.

6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I understand how supportive it can be to have others in the same situation as yourself, comparing notes and setting goals etc., in the real world there are various groups like Weight Watchers who meet and do just this. I have never had a serious problem with weight but like most of us as we age we put on a few pounds each decade.
    I usually keep my weight in check by the 5/2 fasting diet, details here it's a UK based site, but there is a forum section which may be useful.
    I am not sure if there are any others on here with weight issues as its still a small forum, so maybe not enough to give you the support you need.
    I wish you well with your efforts Bill, forty four pounds sounds a pretty good achievement to me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, I agree with Terry. I think it's great that you are reaching out, and still have a goal in mind. I have never had a weight problem, and at present weigh 148 lbs. I remember an exercise program, on TV, called "sit and Be Fit", where you exercise, while sitting in a chair. Corrie, "curbing your desires",when it comes to eating is not easy, but maybe "smaller plates, and no seconds" may help. I wish you well in the New Year, and hope you find a place to weigh in, Bill!;)
    [​IMG]

Lara Moss likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm much the same as Terry and Joe. For several years I kept my weight between 160 and 170. That's more than I should weigh but not too bad except all the extra weight is belly fat. I reached the high end of the range and more...171lbs last October and decided to do something about it. I think the gain was because I can't do my twice a day 30 minute fast walks anymore. I walk a lot slower now.

Any way, I started eating often but very small portions. This morning I weighed 160. Still a bit of nelly fat so I plan to lose at least 5 more pounds.

Since you've lost 40 pounds it's apparent you know how to do it. Just keep it up until you reach your goal.

Lara Moss and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I am also on a sort of a diet..
    I used to weigh 360 pounds and went on a Low Carb Food Plan and today I weigh about 210 pounds..
    I still am a member of a Low Carb forum and am active there..
    It is a support and food ideas forum..

When I said "sort of a diet" I meant it, because low carb isn't a diet but a way of life.. There are different levels and naturally now I am on what is known as Maintenance which means I just want to maintain my weight but NOT gain..

Generally you would give up eating only 5 things for good.........
    Flour and everything made with any kind of flour.. (bread, pasta, cakes)
    Rice and everything made with rice.. (including rice flour)
    Sugar and everything made with real sugar.. Splenda will be your sweetner..
    Potatoes..
    Corn and everything made with corn or corn flour

Other than these 5 items, the world is yours.. Eat to your heart's content just keeping everything else to logical amounts..
    Lots of veggies is excellent..

It isn't hard at all since the foods that are not allowed are high in carbs and could be easily eliminated..

Drinking lots of water is also good..

I am only giving you a suggestion which works for millions of people, but remember it isn't a diet but a way of life forever.. I tis also a very healthy way of eating.. it won't take you long to get it and you will feel better..
    If you can, get or borrow from the library the book "Dr. Atkins New Diet" and it will explain everything I just said.. You can also google it if you would like..

I started a thread in the FOOD section which is "What Are You Eating For 2016" which you could follow to a point.. It isn't Low Carb but if you want the Low Carb site, just ask me and I will give it to you..

Take care and good luck
    Remember as far as Low Carb goes............

IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT
    SO WORK IT YOUR WORTH IT

10. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I did the several small portions a day routine which worked as well as the fasting I do now, and the low carb which I did in the past. As Sheldon and Steve said its more a way of life than a diet that really works in the long run.

If I do nothing and eat without thinking I put on about 5 lbs so I end up around 160 whereas for a while now I have been steady around 155 which feels about right.

Lara Moss and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that a dieting forum in the Health and Wellness category would be an excellent idea, @Ken Anderson ! ! Everyone has their own ideas of what works best for them, and no one eating plan is necessarily going to work for everyone; but that is no reason that we who are working on losing some weight and becoming healthier can't share our successes (and attempts at success) with each other.
    I gained a lot of weight after my heart got so bad that I could barely breathe, let alone walk. Then, I also got older (15 years older !), making it even harder to lose any of the extra weight.
    Last year, I had the heart operation, and now I am trying to play catch-up with my health. I am on a similar program to the one that @Steve North is on, because I have learned that I am very carb intolerant. I am slowly losing weight , too; but I have a long ways to go to fit in a smaller swimsuit this summer.
    Now that I can be more active, both @Bobby Cole and myself have also started a personal fitness program at the Wellness Center.
    Our Medicare Advantage includes Silver and Fit; so we go three times a week and exercise , and I can tell that my body is starting to rebuild itself and get stronger.

I think that even if we are only a small group, having the support of others in this forum who are also trying to lose weight , would be an excellent idea.
    I will definitely participate.

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

I, too, need to lose weight. Have said that for the past decade. Yet, my weight doesn't seem to vary by more than 5 lbs one way or the other anytime during the year. Just had my annual physical. All tests turned out excellent. Doc actually complimented me on how all my blood and urine tests came back at my age. I am active at work, climbing ladders and other mobility tasks. I play golf a minimum of twice/week... sometimes much more. So, even though I would probably feel better 20 lbs lighter... I don't seem to have the willpower to make it happen. I did eat healthy at lunch time. I had a banana..................... after 4 pieces of pizza.

13. Ken Anderson

I have created a Diets & Dieting sub-forum within the Health & Wellness forum.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , I just posted an easy weight loss formula that I learn wat back in my teens, and it works for most, even those of little mobility. I just posted it under a post originally by, @Corie Henson , called "Eating Just Enough". It is also under this topic. It is not a fast way, but that also depends on how much or little a person can put into it. But, even if you're stuck in a wheel chair, it works.

I hope your feeling better, and that your weight loss has helped you.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

I'll try to use it. Starting in the morning. I assume Saturday will be a good weigh-in day for most people but I'm certainly flexible. What say you?