Long Lost Family

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Diane Lane, May 6, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I just recently discovered this show on the TLC lineup. I've watched a few episodes, and can tell it's going to become a favorite. The show is one hour long, and features two separate cases. In each case, the people are either a child who was adopted and is seeking his/her birth parent(s) or a parent or parents who adopted their child out and are seeking to reunite with them now that they're adults.

I can remember a somewhat similar show a few years back, but I think that was on one of the major networks. Each episode covers two cases, and the two people who do the investigations and reunite the adopted children and birth parents were themselves adopted.

Here's a link to more information, in case anyone's interested: http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/long-lost-family/

K E Gordon likes this.
  2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been watching this also. I don't think I have seen every episode. So far, things have gone mostly well for the participants and seekers.

3. Diane Lane

Registered

@Kitty Carmel I think they probably pick and choose which stories to air based on the outcome. I keep expecting to see a negative one, but hopefully they'll keep it somewhat on the positive side. I think there were only around 4 available when I learned about the show, but I'll have to look around and see if I can find others, because I really enjoy watching the stories unfold.

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I actually had the same thought about not airing an outcome that was negative. I assume they would happen. I guess too if the one being sought did not want contact it would end there.

One sad one was the mom who had passed but the woman met her siblings and she looked SO MUCH like her mother. I was at least happy she had found some family.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I particularly enjoyed that one. How cool that it brought not only happiness to the adopted (adult) child, but also helped the siblings with their grief when they saw how much she resembled their mom not only in looks, but also in mannerisms :). I'm sure there are some who don't want the past brought up, and don't want to be reminded of past events, probably particularly if the situation was difficult, as in the case of rape, but I would hope they would ultimately change their minds and be open to at least talking to the person, if not meeting them.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, there was a similar show called the Locator that was on, that was based on the same type of premise I think. I have also seen that guy on Dr. Phil. It is always nice to see families reunited after so long. It is nice that today's technology can help to re unite family far and wide no matter where they may be situated. Those are some nice feel good type shows for sure. I think we need some real doses of positivity, in what seems to have become an increasingly negative world.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, and I watch a LOT of those negative oriented shows. I'm drawn to real life crime type stories, and they can sometimes be depressing, so I do like to stuff some positive type programming and books in between all of the negativity. I'm actively avoiding politics for a while, because I just can't stand how nasty is has become. I'll go back to that before the election of course, but for now, I'm trying to focus my attention elsewhere. Unfortunately, there were only 4 of these episodes available for me to watch, but I'm going to seek out others, and also find some other uplifting shows to watch.

K E Gordon likes this.
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

TLC has some good family oriented programming. I like alot of it. I am a crime show buff too, but they can be a bit scary at times. I am not sure why I like to scare myself but my favorite entertainment is usually some kind of psychological terror or crime shows. the Hallmark channel has some nice options as well or Disney Family channel which I think has a new name now has some good stuff. FYI Disappeared on the ID channel is one I have really gotten into. It is on tonight.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

Yep, I'm an ID Addict. I've been watching some of the Disappeared episodes, as well. I watch a lot of the shows on there. Murder Among Friends is particularly chilling. It's shocking how many young people (the episodes I've seen have all involved young people) don't seem to think twice about taking a life. Murder U is another one like that, all younger people, many of whom just act without thinking about the consequences, or don't even stop to consider the repercussions their acts will have on others.

I used to love Downsized on WE, but haven't watched the network since they didn't renew it. Since I'm watching these two on TLC, I'll probably see more shows advertised that I'll like. I also watch FYI sometimes, it has some of the same shows as A&E, but they're extended, they show more footage, I guess because they don't need as many commercials, or they don't have as much programming, so can spare some extra minutes.