Logging In

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Evidently that is the case Yvonne, so I'll just stay logged in on this browser and use another for my other endeavors. I have a speaking engagement at our Women's Club this afternoon, so will be away for a few hours.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a strange question Lois - I'm interested in most of the members here, seems natural to check who's on line
    Used to love to see my old friend 'Ike' and would smile to see his name logged in
    Then again, maybe its not normal or natural, and I could easily lose interest that's for sure

Yvonne Smith and Lois Winters like this.
  3. Lois Winters

Registered

Perhaps it is because I am always in such a rush, Patsy. I am from the NY/NJ area of the US and we are always running in the highest gear possible. Part of our DNA.:)

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is the very first thing that I look at, too, Patsy ! Sometimes, I like to look at the list that says how many members, how many guests, and then see what it says they are all doing online, when you click the “members online now” link.
    It always amazes me what threads the visitors are here looking at !

Bess Barber and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - my curiosity runs out by then, just happy to see a friend online and miss Ike that's for sure :)

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Lois Winters

Registered

Well, I am left handed, so I glance to my left.:D Seriously, I do glance at the list, but believe it or not as soon as I look away, it really hasn't registered with me at all. It is the threads I am interested in. Sometimes there are so many names in addition to guests and whatnot that I continue on to my interests.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Since I am a greeter, one of the first things that I try to do, is see if we have any new people, and then look at whatever I can see of their profile, and whether they have actually posted or not.
    We get a lot of people who just enjoy reading, and don’t post, and I don’t welcome anyone until they actually do post, because some of them are just spammers who are making an account here.

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Just a point of clarification... even if you are always logged in, once you close the browser tab on your active forum session your name will not appear in the Members Online list. Also, people who choose to lurk around in stealth mode do not appear there.

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just tried that for 5 minutes Beth - came back and still logged in
    As far as I'm aware, you stay logged in for a half hour :)

Bess Barber likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not sure what the time-out is, but you don't stay in the Members Online List all the time once you have closed that browser session. (This may be browser-dependent or a website cookie setting.)

Bess Barber likes this.
  12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Ahh, there is the answer to the question I asked you earlier today about who Ike is. :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

Like @Patsy Faye , I too check when I get online to see who all is currently logged in. The list is right there on the main site page, so I just look at it when I get onto the site. If I see @Ken Anderson is online, I try not to banter too much or post too many memes. :D OK, just kidding.

About you getting logged out, do you have any safety programs on your computer (like Norton or whatever) where you may have clicked on the option on there to sign you securely out of sites? I accidentally did that with my program and wondered why I had to keep signing back into all my regular accounts. I finally asked the question as a google search and found the answer.

Lois Winters likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Operating systems sometimes set similar security options as default during upgrades. Whenever I do an upgrade of macOS, I have to go in and undo some stuff that Apple decided I should be doing.

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  15. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

For some reason I find that whole concept funny. Can you imagine being so bored until you stealth yourself to lurk a senior forum? If I felt the need to go stealth, it would be on one of those questionable sites where one tries to remain 'incognito' for a good reason. :D

Beth Gallagher likes this.