Living In The Same Area Entire Life?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I sometimes wonder how many retiree's are still living in the same area (city/town/state) that they went to Grade School and High School in? I have some high school classmates, from 1968, that still live in the same house that their parents owned, while others live in the same town, but different house. Some went to college in another part of the state, or out-of-state, but returned to their home-town after they graduated.

As for wife and I, neither of us had any desire to go back to our old home-towns and live.

What about you?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I would love to move to Pittsburgh, it's a great city but I'm sure I wouldn't even recognize the Pittsburgh I left in 1970.

Also, there is nobody there for me anymore, just one or two friends from school. I would be very lonely and it would be a very bad decision on my part and a financial disaster too. At least here I have my daughter 3 hours away.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born and raised in an apartment and I only left the place when I got married. Some years after, my parents left when the apartment was due for renovation. My husband lived in Metro Manila like me but they own their home. All along, I thought my husband would grow old in that city since when we moved out of the ancestral home, we rented an apartment in the same city and afterwards we rented a house in the same city again. It's all right with me to stay there since my husband's circle is there - his playmates, school friends, relatives and long time neighbors. But there was an opportunity to buy a house in the suburbs so here we are, far away from that homebase that my husband had called home.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, I haven't lived in my home town since before I was eighteen. Strangely, I used to get mad at some of my friends who would say that they couldn't wait to grow up and move away, since I very much enjoyed growing up in Wallace, Michigan. Most of these same friends are still living in Wallace, or very nearby, although my best friend in elementary school, a cousin, has lived in Germany since being discharged from the Army after a four-year enlistment.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

No I don't live in the same area I grew up in , not even the same city nor even the same country...

I've moved home many timesin my life...my mother was a serial mover so we moved lots when I was a child and that necessitated attending many different schools too.

I Married a Serving Naval officer and we moved several times all over the UK to different quarters during our marriage...

I''ve also lived and worked in several countries in Europe..Spain, Italy, Germany

..like you @Cody Fousnaugh and also Ken...I know people from school who still live in the same city where I was raised...still within a very short distance from where we went to school in some cases...and my best friend at senior school..one of the most popular girls with the boys..never married and still lives in the home she grew up in that belonged to her late parents...and going to the same job she started in an office when we left school..

Everyone to their own of course, ,but the routine of travelling the same roads to work..from the same house, every day of the week for the last 45 years gives me the heebie jeebies....so it wouldn't be the life for me staying in one place!!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Born, raised and still live in the same town in Iowa. I've lived briefly in other towns and states, but have never done well in other places. It just seems I'm supposed to live here, and here I'll die.

Ruby Begonia and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember going on a three business trips with my wife to Michigan and the company was close to the town where she was raised. On the second trip, over a weekend, we drove to the town and she showed me the house she was raised in (owned by someone else), the high school she went to and some other places she remembered. While in the town, we drove by a theater where she had her first date at. What shocked her was that this theater had turned into an X-Rated Theater! Went to the lake where her family had a cottage at and the cottage looked pretty much the same. Even the tavern by the lake hadn't changed much. But, the theater is what really got her.

During our third business trip, decided to drive down to Indiana and the area where I spent my 8 thru 12 grades at. Both of my step parents are deceased, but the house was still there. Some of the property was changed by the new owner, but memories sure popped up for me. Met up with a few old school mates who were pretty shocked to see me and hadn't seen me in years.

Heck, I know of two full-time farmer's that live in the same house/same farm, that their parents raised them on.

One thing is for sure, some people have no problem living in the same area/same neighbors they grew up with. My step-parents weren't "social butterflies" at all, so I hardly knew my neighbors. As far as my classmates went, well........I sure wasn't the most popular kid in my class, that's for sure!

Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  8. Molly Hazel

Molly Hazel Veteran Member
    Registered

Still live in the same town from where I was born,
    In fact only two roads away from the house I lived in with my parents before I was married.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Moved away from the area that I grew up in after getting married.... raised in the NE, and moved to the SW. (Az)
    Every move has worked out fine, and now I find myself deep in the heart of Texas and I guess it will be the end of the line for moves.
    They say 'you can never go back' .... I understand that sentiment. Everything changes... you, others, places.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Holly Saunders and Ruby Begonia like this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I've lived in 2 different cities and one town, all in CT and all close together.

Holly Saunders likes this.