Living In A Van Or Small Trailer

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Kitty Carmel, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I couldn't do this. Being single, I'd be too intimidated plus I'm a cat person and cats don't travel well.

I have however been watching a lot of You Tube videos regarding this in addition to my tiny house obsession. Really I can drool with jealousy at some of these people. Perhaps it's not for everyone forever but I can see doing it for a year or two. A former co-worker now has her hospital administration license, rented out their house and is living in a trailer and they will go wherever the job takes her for now.

It is a freedom. There have to be drawbacks.

Maybe I'm just seriously in need of a trip I have no plans of taking.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Lolol we watch the tiny house shows also. Being claustrophobic there is no way for me.Years ago hubby thought we would become rv people...no can not do that either.

3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I was so thinking about an RV lifestyle but I recently took 2 weeks to go explore the possibility of staying the Summer, in a friends 5th wheel. It was such a tight squeeze. Not only that, I realized that anything goes wrong with an RV, I am the one to fix it. At my age, I don't want to be a home-owner again, even if the home has wheels. Just too much responsibility.

I so love the idea of traveling around meeting new people all the time, but I think just taking trips would suffice like Kitty mentions.

I do love those cute, tiny homes though, and the ones you can pull behind a truck etc. There are so many retired people doing the full-time thing, but as a single woman, I just wouldn't feel secure enough now.

One thing for sure though, like both you gals, I need a pup or a kitti;)

Marie Mallery and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I can imagine the gas it would cost. I can't see myself either as a single woman driving around the country in a RV or large van. I still like the idea of it and it can work for some so I'll just keep watching the videos.

@Denise Happyfeet I hope once settled you get a pet.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We lived in a camper while we built this house but then I had lived in a tent for 3 months right near Key Largo, FL, not alone had ex and 3 toddlers. It was great. But I was younger.
    Again in 1984 with 3 teens.it was not so great they hated it. By then of course after thew first go round I was a pro at camping, :D. I could do it again if I had to.

Of course we lived in a campground with electricity, not on the street.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

this is a good ability...moreover...it takes a mindset to persevere....i still got my iron skillets...although they're heavier now ...for some reason...ha!...we've done lots of tent and outta back of pick up camps....
    we're almost 70 years old now...still...haulin and draggin!

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I know about the iron skillets ,mine are hanging above my head and it's past time to move them in case wrist gives out in midair take down.

I've lived in the best of places and some not so good but camping was one of the best except in storms when we moved here in 1998 we stayed in tents for almost a month during 100 flood, lightening striking on the ground right bedside us, [no kids this time]. Had 3 tents, a bathroom, a kitchen and bedroom tent. It was just uncleared land when we moved in. Had some good times camping and short periods living in tent.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

@Teresa Levitt a picture taken a couple months at the beach,we bathed the dogs and put down towels but my van is set up for camping, has a semi queen size bed, table to lets out, tent shower, potty and small window AC. Only use the shower at night of course. Hubby said, 'you can see thru that shower in the day time'. I said,'thats what they get for looking'.:D. Hubby is not into camping much.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Teresa Levitt like this.
  9. Teresa Levitt

Registered

yeah...and in Florida i couldn't imagine the heat....mosquitoes...snakes...etc.....we went across the USA in a tent and pick up...once in a van...oh...crazy...
    yeah...those skillets are heavy...i developed a diaphragmal hernia over the years...getting worse as of recently....
    if things get bad...my husband will have to lift them from and to ..but...
    there's a couple smaller ones i can do...Lord willing....
    you're such an inspiration...you have life experience and are so intelligent...but yet...earthy!

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

The 3 dogs don't get to go on camp trips.Just day trips to the beach.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Teresa you get use to the wildlife and bugs [ as I sit here after a few days of itching]:LOL.
    I figure I going to be old no matter where I'm at and try to get out now and then.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you Teresa for the nice compliment.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  13. Teresa Levitt

Registered

i look forward to seeing you in these pages.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I'm getting antsy and hubby getting worried, its not my fault he is a homebody. Like I tell him we are here all the time so don't complain when I need to get away now and then.
    I'll tell him like NWO tells us, you'll be a temp gypsy and you'll like it or best pretend to. Sometimes men are from Mars more so than others.

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

The feeling is mutual I like seeing you here too.:)