Live On A Boat?

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

Believe it or not, there are quite a few people, including Seniors, that live on a boat. We see these boats moored in an intracoastal waterway in St Augustine and there is a marina, not to far from us, that have boats in slips with people living on them. Both sailboats and somewhat large cabin cruisers. We were invited on one cabin cruiser, that was in a rented slip, and it was pretty big inside. It was fully contained, meaning bathroom, small living room and fairly large bedroom. Most of these boats have a small boat, with an outboard engine, to take the owners to land for grocery shopping, laundry, etc. Some "live aboard boats" only stay in their slips or moorings, while others do go from one area to another, including onto the ocean.

I was told that boaters that are moored, don't have to pay anything to stay there, while those that are in slips, have to pay monthly for slips, because electricity is provided with the slip.

Could you live on a boat? I did in the Navy, but that was called a ship and, obviously, it was totally contained with everything.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I have a friend who is buying this boat, and they plan on living on it at least for long periods of time. It's a Jack Robert tug. I'm sure there are a lot of hidden costs though, such as slip costs, maintenance, fuel, etc.

tug.jpg

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Veteran Member
    Registered

I lived on my sail boat for six years and enjoyed most every minuet. Like they say about cruising is hours and hours of total bliss interspersed with moments of shear terror. Loved being able to jump off the bow of the boat checking the anchor then being handed a spear to look for dinner. This is what a day in the Bahamas was like and we either had fresh lobster or fish for dinner. Those memories I will never forget our freezer on the boat was filled with lobster and fish. I had more than I could use ending up giving away lots to other boaters. I still miss it a little but now I have a land life which I enjoy.

Don Alaska likes this.