Little Girl Firing Away!

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do not have any problem with children being taught to use a firearm, and not to ever touch one when they are little. My mom and dad both hunted deer, and their rifles were always in the bedroom, and I knew never to touch one. They kept theirs unloaded, but they explained to me that some people left their guns loaded, and children had accidentally killed themself or another person when they picked up the gun and fired it.

When I was in 7th grade, I took shooting lessons at the local firing range, and was an NRA member, and we were taught by soldiers who had been in WW2 or Korea.
    My grandpa Bailey gave me his single shot .22, and that is what I learned to shoot with.
    After I had kids, I took them out back (we lived in the country) and taught them how to shoot the .22 also, as well as weapon safety.

On the other side of that, I do not think that a child should be forced to learn to shoot unless they have an interest in doing that; but some people who are what we call “survivalists”, teach their kids those survival skills whether they want to learn or not.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Another little girl that would make the reporter from New York Daily News get temporary PTSD like he did when he fired an AR-15

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Most rural folks have guns around for a variety of reasons, and I think that is great. I DO NOT like toy guns, as I believe that they teach kids to be careless in their handling of firearms and are at the root of many accidental shootings by children. Kids should be taught to handle guns with real guns or taught to treat toys as they should real guns.

Just because the little girl can shoot two guns at once doesn't mean she can hit anything with them. Just for show and I don't really think it is a good thing at such a young age. She should concentrate on developing good firearm handling skills and marksmanship under good supervision and leave the exhibition shooting to folks a bit older.

5. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was o.k. with it until the 14th second. Should have stopped there.
    By the look on her face, she seemed to be saying "look at me and what power I have."

That's the wrong lesson for a pretty little girl with so many beautiful things to look forward to. Feeling empowered that way makes me feel sad for her.
    You asked, and that is my answer.

Mary Stetler, Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

For some reason the video did not play for me, but just the still picture of a little child weilding two handguns did not leave a good impression. The father must be one of those gun nuts and can't see past the obvious. My father taught me to handle a gun responsibly and not just go blasting away.

Mary Stetler, Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My step-dad had a pellet handgun and a "over-n-under" shotgun/.22. I never seen him use the .22, but he used the shotgun part to shoot bats around the barn. When I was a Freshman in high school, I got a Daisy Pump-Action BB Rifle. My step-dad told me I could kill all of the sparrows I could see. Why? sparrows crapped all over our farming equipment.

After joining the Navy, I got Small Arms Training onboard ship at sea. Never owned a firearm until I met/married my wife. Her mom hunted and once got an 8-Point White-Tail Buck. I never knew just how much my wife was into firearms, until we bought her her first rifle. A Ruger 10/22. Then, came her Sig Saur .22 pistol and later, the more powerful Smith & Wesson 9mm handgun. We put a laser on the 9mm, so we could aim better and it sure has worked. We both really, really like going to local range.

As far as "kids and guns", I'm all for young kids learning about firearms and shooting.............but, only, and I do mean "only", if they are interested in learning and shooting.

Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Whomever changed the location for this thread............thanks!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I truly understand what you mean. There is a song, by The Village People, called Macho, Macho Man and this video could be called Macho, Macho Little Girl. She uses the one handgun until it's empty, gives it a toss to the side, and continue firing the other one. Her dad is probably loving her "facial look", but..........

Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This thread upsets me.

And that is unusual.

Frank

11. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What I think I saw was a little girl being set up by her parents to show off, not shoot properly. She does not seem to display the characteristics of a child who has been taught how to shoot with a handgun.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't see any harm in it, but I doubt that any of it was the little girl's idea.

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Guys used to use a .22 over .410 to hunt squirrels when I was growing up, but I was never fortunate enough to own one.

John West and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Where/when I grew up, getting a .22 rifle was a rite of passage at 13; provided you displayed sufficient maturity and responsibility. At that time and place, our fathers were those who came through WWII and took time to teach their kids how to care for, respect and shoot a gun.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Same here, and I could use my dad's guns before that time. At that time, they taught firearm safety in school. I didn't take that class because I had already had it at home and in the Boy Scouts, which was pretty much a repetition of the same thing because my dad was the Scout leader. In high school, it was common for students to have guns mounted against the back wall of their pickup trucks in the school parking lot during hunting season. Now, there would be a SWAT team involved.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021