List Maker or a Good Memory

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Betty Johnstone, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

I will admit my memory isn't what it used to be and find if I don't write things down or make a list, I will miss appointments, forget something at the store etc. There have been times I will find a list at the bottom of my purse which I have failed to complete.

These days I write all my appointments on the calendar on my fridge and have an erasable board to jot down grocery store items. I find these two methods have helped me quite a bit. Do you still have a memory or do you write everything down in lists?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I try to make sure that nothing is so important that I have to remember it. My wife keeps lists, and she sets alarms to go off at all hours of the day, reminding her to do every thing imaginable. I joke that she sets an alarm to remind herself to shut the alarm off. Since I quit being a paramedic, I haven't carried a watch, I go to bed when I'm tired, get up when I feel like it, and still manage to get the required amount of work done. I cannot, however, go to the store with five things on my mind and remember to get all of them. In fact, there have been times when I have left the store without buying anything that I had been sent there to get.

Betty Johnstone likes this.
  3. Betty Johnstone

Registered

It seems the men have it a bit easier than us women, Ken. My hubby doesn't concern himself with lists or clocks either , that's what he has me for..lol But on the off chance he goes to the store for me, I do give him a list because he can't possible remember what I need.
    Your wife has an interesting way to remember things with an alarm clock. I will admit that is one thing we no longer have in our house.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It's not just clocks. She has alarms set to go off on her phone, her kindle, her computer, etc. More than once, I have had to sleep on the couch because something was making noise in the bedroom, which she slept through, but which was keeping me awake.

5. Betty Johnstone

Registered

Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for you, Ken. Mind you I did have quite the chuckle when I read this. Better you than me..hehe

6. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think I've ever really had a good memory, but I do feel that it's getting worse with age and sometimes it worries me a lot. I've experienced a few of my parents' friends developing Alzheimer's disease and it's probably the most frightening thing I've ever seen.

At times I do make lists, but I've never been good at looking to see what's on them. However since my Dad's recent death it has fallen on me to take care of paying most of the household bills and that's something I can't afford to forget. I've now got a list of those on a scrap of paper, and I've been managing to keep up with them, but I know I need to start keeping those lists better organised before I lose one of them.

7. Betty Johnstone

Registered

I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad, Michelle and glad to hear you have found a way to keep up remembering the bills.I usually write down my bills due on my calendar which I keep on the fridge. I find that works the best for me.

I also know a few people dealing with dementia and Alzheimer's and its very frightening. I think a lot of us worry about this when our memory starts to fade.

8. Michelle Stevens

Registered

Thanks Betty. The only calendar I use is the one built into by email program, but I don't often look at it. That's just one of many bad habits that I need to change in a hurry.

As an unmarried only child, I always just muddled along and allowed my Dad to take care of the day to day essentials. Now, at 52, I've suddenly found myself needing to take on the role of the "man" of the house and I'm not finding it easy.

9. Betty Johnstone

Registered

I'm sure it has been quite an adjustment for you. I'm sure you are doing better than you think you are. I use a calendar online too but find the on my refrigerator to be really helpful in day to day tasks.

Michelle Stevens likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One of the only fears I have is the thought that I might lose my memory at some stage.
    When I was much younger I had an aunt who used to work in a museum. She always brought me pictures of dinasaurs and small rocks and things they sold at the museum gift shop. I was only about 6 when my step-mother and I went to a nursing home that was owned by her mother. When we got there we went into a room and there was my aunt. I had just seen her a couple of weeks prior to this visit. When I went over to her she didn't know who I was and just remarked that I was a nice looking boy. She passed shortly thereafter but I never forgot (obviously) that incident and quick everything happened.

For the past few years I have been doing a lot memory exercises and making sure to eat those things that help keep the receptors in my brain clean. One of the best and most fun exercises I have found is playing mahjong on line. To be good at it you have to remember what you see so you can make the moves quicker without a lot of study. Additionally, I do a lot of math in my head. Sometimes I will create a large math problem and force myself to do it completely without the use of a pencil and paper. As long as I keep it up and my times are good I think I'll be alright. I would highly reccommend doing anything different than what you would normally do, that might excercise your memory.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Michelle Stevens

Registered

@Bobby Cole , that must have been really frightening for you to experience at such a young age. I'm not surprised you've never forgotten it. Maybe your aunt was lucky that everything happened so quickly. I know someone who has had Alzheimer's for many years and he's really just existing now, not living. I don't know how his family can live with that.

You're right that we should all be doing memory exercises, but then I guess there are a lot of things we should all be doing that we don't. I'm very lazy when it comes to such things and sometimes I think I'm my own worst enemy.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have a calendar on the ipad, and I put everything down in that. So if I have a doctor's appointment, or something important, it sends me a little alert a day or do ahead of time. You can choose if and when you want the alert, and it just pops up, it doesn't make any noises.
    Ken, I read your story and think I would not want to have all those alarms going off either; but I would definitely wake someone up to shut off the alarm rather than going out and sleeping on the couch.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Harrison Greenberg

Harrison Greenberg Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I still have an okay memory. Although it's always that darn shopping list that gettings me. I can never remember more than 5 items before I have to take out my notes. I usually write down a list before I do anything and just leave it my pocket. Or sometimes I would have reminders on my phone to do something.

14. Joss Brown

Joss Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

My memory isn't as good as it used to be. I used to remember my entire shopping list. I have always been organized and a list maker, but now I am more diligent about creating lists. I also look for ideas to make me more organized. I have been doing some research for an Android reminder app. I have also starting using the Bullet Journal as a low cost replacement for my Franklin Covey organizer.

15. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I make list and make list for my list. It is necessary for me to write something done it about 3 places to make sure I do not forget it or where I put it when I wrote it down. I do have a notebook that I write things down in to help keep me on track these days. When I go to the store I must have a list or I will not purchase anything, I have left the store empty handed more times than I care to admit. I don't think it is a much I forget as it is I am not paying attention to what I am doing so it never really got into my memory.