Liquid Diet Plans

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am still doing my soup diet right now, but I have had a few regular meals and I am at the place where I usually start cheating enough that it no longer has the desired effect.

My wife has signed us up for a liquid diet plan that I am skeptical of. I don't remember the name but I'll add it to this thread when we receive our stuff. It's one of those where meals are replaced by shakes, with a one-day-a-week detox day, whatever that means.

While I have little doubt that anyone who sticks with such a diet would lose weight, my skepticism comes from being able to stick with it. The last time I tried a liquid diet, the shakes that they substituted for meals did absolutely nothing to alleviate hunger.

So, instead of having breakfast, I might have a shake. But after drinking the shake, I was just as hungry for breakfast as I was before drinking the shake, and if I had the willpower not to eat when I was hungry, I wouldn't need anyone's diet plan.

However, I agreed to try it. If the shelves are going to be empty in the grocery stores anyhow, why not?

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, weren't you recently on the cabbage diet? How did that work? Anybody can lose weight on most any diet plan if they are willing to go hungry. I don't see how only liquids can quell hunger.

3. Ken Anderson

No, I haven't done a cabbage diet. Pretty much the only way that I can eat cabbage is in sauerkraut.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, I thought I had read that you were trying it. I know that some people swear by it. I like cabbage but not that much. :)

5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Many, many years ago, I went on the Cambridge Diet. It was a powdered thingy that you could make soups and shakes out of, several varieties. It was amazingly satisfying and I dropped pounds like mad but I started losing hair at an alarming rate and it wasn't just the hair on my head, if you get my drift. So that was the end of the Cambridge Diet for me.

6. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

OK...…
    Basically, diets don't work.. after you go off the diet, you put back all the weight you lost with interest..
    What works is a food plan, not a diet..
    Low carbing isn't a diet but a way of eating.. it is a food plan that eliminates certain foods but allows you to eat as much as you want of the proper foods which are not high in carbs... Low carb isn't no carbs which is the carnivore diet.. You eat only meat...
    The soup diet could be good for a while but after some time, you like to chew on something..
    As long as there isn't any pasta in the soup, it is not a bad one for a short time.....

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I know what you're saying and that may often be the case but that's not the way that it works for me. I use a diet to prevent myself from establishing a new normal, as far as weight goes, and it takes quite a while before I get to the point where I feel like I have to do it again.

8. Steve North

Registered

OK... I understand your point..
    As long as it works for you, go for it..
    I can't see that diet work for everyone.....

9. Steve North

Registered

I'm not claiming to be an expert on dieting...… Not at all.....
    however I did lose some weight being on the low carb food plan and most important I have kept it off for about 35 years..
    Yes I am a believer of low carb, but not everyone is...
    Most people try something different to try to lose a few pounds..
    Some work and some don't.... Some are healthy and some are not..
    There are hundreds of different diets out there but the main object is to change your way of eating while staying healthy..
    A food plan works if you work it...……………. so work it your worth it …………..

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

There is also portion control, but it doesn't say how much of a portion. Try the 1/2 diet. Eat what you normally eat but only half. That would be half a sandwich, half an orange, one chicken leg instead of two, etc. You will only be dealing with what's familiar to you and not have to deal with what isn't. Much easier.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

I don't do well with long-term eating plans because I get tired of counting calories, measuring portions, and so on.

I weigh more than I should, but it could be a lot worse than it is. Every now and then, I will go on a soup diet or something in order to lose 20-30 pounds to avoid setting a new normal, and then I can keep from gaining it back quickly by getting rid of the idea that I have to eat everything on my plate, or that I need to eat until I am full. Usually, I eat until I am no longer hungry, and then I stop. I could eat more if I wanted to, and I could enjoy the taste of it, but I don't need to eat more so I don't. That, and exercise, works pretty well throughout the spring, summer, and fall, but it's hard to exercise in Maine in the winter when you are older and no longer interested in skiing, skating, or snow-shoeing. That's usually when I need a diet. If I eat more than I should during a meal because it tastes really good, I'll walk a few blocks and work some of it off, but who wants to do that when it's 10 degrees and snowing, and when the sidewalks are buried under three feet of snow?

12. Steve North

Registered

Ken...…. your not wrong in wanting to lose 20 pounds.. you will not only feel much better but you will be healthier as well..
    The human body doesn't take very well to it going up in weight and then down in weight.. Best to maintain a steady weight..