Life Experiences That Changed Me

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hedi Mitchell, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I debated where to start this. There have been life altering instances in my 73 years of living. Made me wonder how many others have had life altering experiences that changed them forever. Some not as important as others. I will list major changes in my life.
    1. Starting with age 20 - molestation as a child
    2. 20- 30 years - awakening to the fact I had to give up certain things in order to change for the better
    3. 30-40 years - discovering I could walk thru the door, versus looking through the window
    4. 40-50 years - marrying second husband, who changed my life forever ,to the better
    5. 50-60 - the death of my mother for many reasons
    6. 60- 70 - meeting Death head on and being spared
    What major things have happened in your life that changed you forever?

2. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Wow really ? Nothing in anyone's life changed them? Oh well I guess i am the oddball :D

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No Hedi, everyone has faced something or many something’s that changed their lives. Some in small ways and others have faced some pretty dramatic events.
    It’s a good thread but I think it’s just that throughout the years on this forum, many have already told their stories and might feel it redundant to do it again. Dunno.

As for me and in short form, I joined the Army and went to the Nam.

Again, in short form, then there’s the time I was taking a nice walk on a spring day and on my day off work and on a street in Atlanta that I knew nothing about and saw 2 long lines in front of a school like building. I hate lines but I stood in one of them anyway. It was the Atlanta Union Mission and my life changed forever as of the minute I walked into that building.
    Note: I had a good job, didn’t need money and had my own apartment, The reason for walking into the mission? God must have wanted me there and there I stayed.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Ken probably needs to delete the thread. Was a just a moment of thought.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Major changes in my life, wello_O?

1. Enlisting in the Navy, before high school graduation in May 1968, because I knew the Draft would be after me. The Draft didn't get me, but I did get my Draft Notice while at Navy Basic Training. Thank God the Navy didn't release me in Basic for anything.
    2. Having never worn a cowboy hat until I worked at Knott's Berry Farm in their Stagecoach area ride taking care of the horses. My first job after getting my Honorable Discharge from the Navy.
    3. Getting a job in EMS (ambulance company) in Orange and Los Angeles Counties. After two years, had enough and went into manufacturing.
    4. Meeting/marrying my first wife. Less than a year later, getting an Annulment. A year later, marrying her again and a year, or so, later, getting a divorce. It took two times to finally figure out that we were only physically attracted to each other.........definitely not love!
    5. In 1976, my "ex" and I had a daughter. Daughter and I have been estranged from each other for years.
    6. Around 1984, going to my first rodeo and absolutely loving it. Decided, right then and there, pro-rodeo was going to be a part of my life forever.
    7. At 49 years old, meeting/marrying my second wife. After 21 years of being single/divorced, and hating it. Talking about "a match made in Heaven", definitely! Same interests/likes and both of us Christians. She loves rodeo as much as I do.

Well, that's about it.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ken and Yvonne are pretty good about not deleting threads unless there’s a very good reason.
    One thing you want to look at is the number of views you’ve had. The views could be anyone on the forum or anyone coming in from a search engine. Ya just don’t know.

One way or the other, some people will compare themselves to your OP and at least think about how their lives have been changed by an incident in their past.
    So don’t worry about it. It’s a good thread and some threads sit for days without a response and then suddenly go berserk.

7. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting topic: There are so many such things in my life that I could write a book - a rather lengthy book. There are also some I cannot talk about. Two incidents come to mind, though, that you might enjoy.
    1. It was in Mrs. Forbes 6th grade class where we were exposed to the numerical squares and square roots. When see was explaining that, say, 4 squared meant 4 x 4 = 16 and that the square root of 16 was 4. This went on for 10 minutes or so and I asked, "OK, what is the square root of 15 and how do you find it?" She admitted she didn't know but would find out. She told us all to sit tight and not act up while she made a phone call. It turned out she called the Superintendent of Schools, who told her to send me downtown to the courthouse right away. I got a pass from school, rode downtown on my bicycle, met with the Super and he showed me how to calculate the square root of any number. I was to return to class and teach everyone there, including the teachers, how to do it. That led to an interest in math, an undergraduate degree in math and statistics, several years of teaching accelerated math, years of work in operational analysis and decades of work in computers.
    2. The second experience had to do with a date I didn't have. Having just turned 16, I asked dad if I could borrow the car (we only had one) to take a date to the dance. The reason for asking to use the car was quite simple - girls' parents back then didn't let their girls go on dates with guys who rode motorcycles. Transportation to a dance had to be in a car (and that car must not be a Nash). Dad had a year-old Olds hardtop and his answer was "No, if you want a car you'll have to earn the money to buy one." Although not the answer I wanted to hear with a hot date going down the tubes, it didn't take long for me to appreciate what he had done for me and I soon was the proud 'owner' of a ratty, 51 Chevy. After taking on several more jobs, I traded up to a clean 53 Chevy.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Age 6 Saw a kid shoot another kid on the school playground a few feet away from me
    Age 15 Witnessed a very close friend burn to death
    Age 16 Won first place in-state high school livestock judging
    Age 17 Modeled in a bikini with an electric guitar for Fender
    Age 19 Married
    Age 20 Death of my newborn and then the suicide of husband
    Age 22 Thwarted rape attempt
    Age 24 Moved to the remote mountains and went on a vision quest
    Age 30 Took up windsurfing and became a bikini addict
    Age 33 Found woman's body in a shallow grave
    Age 34 Poisoned by the Rajneeshee's
    Age 48 Had shingles that almost killed me
    Age 54 Disabled due to nerve loss and not able to work dependably.
    Age 60 Gained weight due to new nerve and MS medication
    Age 62 Embarked on a beach bikini fitness routine
    Age 65 Lost 55 lbs and did amateur senior modeling for beachwear designers and makers.
    Age 68 Cancer surgery
    Age 69 Joined SOC

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Seems like a good topic to me. It's just one that takes some thought, which is why no one answered quickly.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure most of my life experiences align with a lot of people's. I was raised by kind and responsible parents who taught me how to navigate the world. I married (twice); both times for love and to men who loved me back and had similar values. I birthed two wonderful sons and received three "bonus" children with my second marriage. I worked in a professional setting and did surprisingly well for myself. I lost grandparents, both parents, and other people who were important in my life. I became a grandmother. I retired and learned to relax a little. I went through cancer treatment that took the wind from my sails and reminded me that my time here is finite.

"Everyday is a winding road." ... Sheryl Crow

11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

At first was not sure where I wanted to put this commentary, but hey I started the thread so here goes.
    There are many things that we all have gone through that changes us, one change for me was 6 years ago today I joined this forum.
    What few I had joined over the years lasted a week at most. So still being on here with all that has transpired in six years, to me is amazing.
    I call you all my On Line Friends :).
    The most recent is our move to what I call a Foreign state - Kansas. Being born and raised in Texas people this move was a biggie for us both.
    On March 12th we have been here 3 mos.- amazing . As of Thursday, we officially became Kansas residents, with temporary DL to prove it.
    Things I have learned being here three months :
    1. I am neither political party. I vote according to the person, and what I feel they could get done. I would never vote straight ticket. I like variety.
    This may be a problem if known, this area is straight Republican. I am listed as Undeclared.
    2. Going from a town 115,000 plus to a town of 800 at best is eye opening. Quieter, friendlier, and in a wordily sense, behind at least 30 years.
    Here people are more interested in the weather,crops and cattle. Wire transfers at the bank we joined here, um not into wire transfers yet.
    3.You must travel long distance from one county to the other in order to see or hear anything that comes close to what your use to.This makes the one of the two grocery stores with decent prices 50 plus miles away. The scenery is better than in a large town. the traffic reduced to cattle, deer, bison, and red dirt hills, tumble weeds and various windmills.
    4. What you buy in Texas , is not always in Kansas. Much to our dismay, Blue Bell ice cream is not for sale in :eek:Kansas. Along with a few other treasured foods.
    5. Mall 50 plus miles from here is nothing like the malls in Texas. I never really shopped at the malls back home,but still the one miles from us is vastly different. In a strip mall section of town, and you would never know it was a so called mall until you enter. Down stairs only. Hey they have a J C Penny's !
    6. Medical here is small scaled. Hospital, clinic, senior living all combined. But how many hospitals where you live let you pay only half your bill and consider it paid in full? :)
    7. Like many small towns, watch your mouth. Everyone here is related to someone, or they are neighbors and or friends.
    8. In Texas the weather changes with in the day. In Kansas, at least during winter, your going to wear a coat all day if outside. Very high winds are common all year long. To hear others describe summer here is a bit scary. 115 daily is not uncommon. :(.
    9. Saying -going to town tomorrow,here means down the street. :)
    10. The water is very hard here, the land is dry along with the air. Drought is away of life around here.
    i hope it does not all sound negative, because it isn't. This is just the way it is here is Southwest Ks. You make adjustments, you join in the community by offering your services, attending gatherings, mingling with farmers, the local business people, watching home schooled kids actually play outside., and sharing your produce at the Post Office door because you have too much. And if nothing else, the poeple here love to say Welcome to Kansas! :)

12. Jaspurr Miller

Jaspurr Miller Well-Known Member
    Registered

1) My beloved father passed away of heart failure at only 62. I was just 25. It took me years be at peace with losing him at such a young age. It broke my heart and in some ways I've never gotten over it.

2) At the age of 38, my niece was dying from a liver condition and needed a transplant. The waiting list for a cadaver liver was so long that she wouldn't have survived unless she found a living donor. My sister (her mother) sent the word out to family, asking if anyone would be willing to donate part of their liver to save her daughter. I completed the initial paperwork, but didn't meet the medical requirements. Four of my cousins from the same family also applied, but were denied. Then, our youngest cousin, only 19, stepped up to the plate. She was a match, but she was told she was too young to psychologically cope with such a major surgery. But she insisted that she wanted to save her cousin's life...even wrote a letter to the head of the hospital. She finally got approval and the surgery was a success. I was there in the hospital to support her and my sister the whole time. My niece is alive and healthy today because of her amazing cousin.

This was the most life-affirming experience I've ever had. I was in awe of my young cousin's tenacity and selflessness in wanting to help my niece. She wouldn't take no for an answer. Both she and my niece were so brave to undergo such a extensive surgery. I was in awe of my other cousins who immediately reached out and did the initial testing. And I was in awe of the doctors whose skillful hands, driven by medical science, saved my niece's life.

3) In 2014, one of my best friends was tragically killed by a drunk driver. I have never before felt such horrible, numbing shock and devastation when my one of my other friends called to tell me the news. To make things worse, the driver got a lesser sentence due to a technicality and spent only a few months in prison. Even though I and several others delivered impact statements at his sentencing, justice was certainly not served...not by a longshot. It really made me question our judicial system. I will be forever haunted at how horribly my friend died, and under such needless circumstances.

4) At age 36, I married my soulmate. Hubby and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary this year, and we are grateful for every day we spend together. He is a gregarious, funny as heck, creative, extrovert who brings out the best in me. We have a wonderful life with many fun-loving friends in our circle. We share a passion for the arts...he in photography and "junk art" sculpture and I in painting and music. Our marriage is based on deep respect for each other, and we're each other's best friends and biggest fans. He certainly transformed my life.

5) In my early teens, I began to question my Catholic faith and turn away from the church of which I was a devout member. In my 40s, for many reasons, I began in earnest to explore my beliefs. After a year or so of research and deep introspection, I decided that atheism made total sense to me. I am now liberated from the shackles of religion, including living my life in fear of going to hell, and that's a wonderful feeling.

Mary Stetler and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  13. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That’s a tough question for me. I am reminded of the saying by Emerson, “What you are stands over you the while, and thunders to that I cannot hear what you say to the contrary.” I have a well differentiated personality and kind of just plough through things. The only thought that came to mind is when I left the lab and went into sales. I am very much a biologist/scientist to the core so going into sales was very tough for me. In fact, I was in the hospital for the first 5 days I should have been starting my new job, almost certainly due to stress (acute colitis with severe gastroenteritis).

Going into sales, and later marketing, sort of gave me a hard exterior and made a huge difference in my salary. It definitely changed my life more than any other single thing I can recall.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Throughout the 8 or so years I have been on this forum, at one time or another I have written about some of the things that changed the directions I was taking and to be truthful, if I were here for another 8 years I doubt I could list them all.
    However vague or clear, every day seems to bring an event that I can learn from and in turn, make decisions that will affect my future in this life.

That written, all the war, the deaths, all the successes, all the failures, the loves, the losses, formal education, divorces and marriages, things that make me happy, angry, sad or confused etc,;
    all of them combined could not possibly make the change that happened the day I allowed the Lord God into my life.
    On that day, I found the difference between mere happiness and how great the feeling of joy.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.