Libraries Are Not Just For Reading Anymore

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I have always loved libraries. They are sanctuaries, places we can go to be alone, in the quiet, to find just the right book to read, to borrow books, and now use free wifi, borrow movies and other items, since they have evolved over the years.

Unfortunately, it appears that they are also now evolving into places sought out by heroin and other drug users for some of those same reasons. They are quiet places where users can shoot up or otherwise take drugs, without being visible to law enforcement and others. I wasn't aware of this until I saw a story earlier online. Since many of us value them and might spend time there, as well as thinking they're safe places for children to hang out and not need to be monitored quite as closely as they need to be elsewhere, I wanted to share this story.

Chrissy Cross and Marilyn Pahl like this.
  2. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

That's awful...I've taken many borderline homeless to the library so they can use the computers for jobs viewing. The job interviews and paper applications are about a thing of the past.:eek:

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

I was shocked to read it. Many libraries are also close to schools. The one I use here is across the street from a middle school, and is in a residential suburban neighborhood, bordering the local walking trails. I don't think this is happening at my branch, but I would bet it's probably happening up in Houston, at the branches in particular areas, and I doubt many of the parents who take their children there are aware of it.

Marilyn Pahl likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's too bad. I guess Libraries are nice comfy safe places for addicts too. Hopefully all libraries will be sent the memo to watch out for it.

Maybe the ones in larger cities should have someone trained in injecting Narcan. Actually I think it comes in nasal spray too.

I really don't know what else to say....I'm sure the person will eventually overdose somewhere else anyway.

Is rehab the answer? Doesn't look like it except for a very few. There probably isn't enough programs anyway to put everyone in rehab.

Guess the answer is not to start using drugs....but don't take away my right to have my pain meds when I need them for my back. That's not right either. I've never abused them, I've never even taken them to get high....don't know how much you'd have to take.

I also don't know why they say the next step is heroin, not for seniors taking it for back pain it isn't.

Sorry about my going off topic in a rant, Diane.

It is a difficult situation all around.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

Well when I take my friends to the library it's who has been banned from what library, because they didn't pay their overdue charges on the books. And the library's keep a record. When that happens they can't use any other convenience (computers) the library has. Most of them can use the main one. Many have never been to, it's so big and beautiful and they just stand in amazement. I tell them they have to clean themselves, brush their hair and teeth before we go. Speak softly when were inside. :rolleyes:

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Diane Lane , have you seen the story in Ohio where the police took a photo of a couple who overdosed with a child in the backseat?
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/12/health/heroin-effects-police-photo/

Warning, the photo is graphic. I don't know if it's shown in the link I posted though.

Also, the officer who started following this car said that at one point they were driving erratically behind a school bus....that's scary!!! Kids getting off could easily have been killed.

7. Diane Lane

Registered

Not at all, @Chrissy Page, the fact that they (govt) try to curtail the use of appropriate medicines for those in need of them really irks me. I have chronic pain and also intermittent extreme pain with my flares, and although I'm not currently on prescription pain meds, I'm supposed to be. If I could afford to actually see a doctor and pay for prescription medication after paying for my living expenses and insurance, I would do so, because they certainly made my life easier and my pain more bearable. It's deplorable that they lump those in actual need, who aren't taking medications to get high, in with those who are drug seeking for that purpose.

What is interesting to me is that we have so many addicts in our society. I'm the first one to say that there are many in need here whose needs aren't being met, but I'd like to see how our percentage of addicts to non-addicts compares to that of other countries, particularly those where life is much more difficult. I think there are many here who've been sheltered and are unable to cope with real life once they get out on their own, and therefore turn to drugs. I think in many of those cases, their lives are still much easier than what they would be if they were living in a third world country.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know how we compare with other countries, I do know that's it's getting worse here or so it seems. I go by what I read. I personally don't know any heroin addicts nor have I even seen one up close and personal.

I live a sheltered life I guess.

Overdoses are every day though. It's always a headline somewhere...mostly heroin or pain meds I think.

Maybe with meth and coke you have a heart attack but I don't read too many overdoses with those drugs.

Drugs are an escape, so I guess the issue that they are escaping from needs fixing. Easier said than done.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Years ago, when I lived in Long Beach, the public library had outdoor gardens on a couple of levels on top of the library. While I didn't see any problems within the library itself, the gardens were pretty much filled with junkies and strange people. Of course, we don't have anything like that at our local library. I'm sure there's junkies in town but I don't see them around, at least not recognizable.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, that shocked me no end. Why use a public place like a library for drugs? That's outrageous (sorry if this is not the right term, I am quite a loss for words). In fairness to those criminals, yeah, a library can give them privacy away from the peering eyes of the authorities. But maybe those illicit activities in the library will stop with the installation of cctv cameras around the library.

I used to go to the library regularly when I was still in school. It is a quiet place that is conducive not only for reading books but also for reviewing notes when there is an exam. But in those years, I also saw some students of my age who were not studying but just playing coy with the boys, huh.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It's probably the homeless drug addicts that use the library, @Corie Henson. I think heroin addicts just kind of nod off anyway so I'm assuming it's a warm, safe environment. Or if it's summer, an air conditioned environment.

They probably shoot up in the bathrooms though and you can't put cameras in there.

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Libraries can also be positive places and community hang outs. The last time I spent any real time in the local libary they were having a comic book day, and all the kids came in costume. There were also some adult comic characters. It was kind of a community Comic Con if you will. I personally thought it was awesome! It was a bit loud however.Young kids will learn to associate the libarary with fun and good times. I am all for that kind of thing.

13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

The library in my home town of Santa Cruz, California was always quiet. People whispered. They had an interesting revolving display in cases at the front. I used to see the same man often sitting in a chair there.

Things sure do change don't they. Everything.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

So sad that the library a place for knowledge is going the scary way! Locally in Honolulu, we have security guards and those big did you steal anything walkways to go through before you leave the library too. Once when I was borrowing the internet computers at the library, I saw a razor in the little container they have paper and pencils to use freely. I told the librarian about it for there was blood all over the keyboard too. When I was in elementary school I went to the safe library with open windows and opened to 8PM nightly. Times change and so has the library.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

What a strange and scary experience. I hope they shut down that computer until it was properly disinfected. And someone could have put their hand in the holder.

Another place that isn't what it used to be.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.