Let’s Talk About Our Cars!

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yep, Chevron developed the stuff and puts it in all their gasoline products.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We bought, and added, a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner to our fill-up yesterday. Will let the forum know how the engine runs as time goes on.

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The only gas I ever had trouble with was Union 76. Every single time I filled up (Ford Galaxy V8) with that gas, the engine would ping loudly. But that was long ago, back in the 70's.

[​IMG]

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't use 'em anymore.

My 6-speed Mazda3 SkyActiv uses 0-20 synthetic oil...as thin as water!

Hal

5. William DeFox

William DeFox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In the dead of winter, I may add a can of "dry gas" to the fuel to keep moisture out and make for easier starts. In my earlier days when I of necessity drove older, marginally-performing cars, I'd been known to add a can of STP to the oil in an effort to quell engine knock...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Paul used an oil additive a few years back - ruined the car
    Was advertised as a 'wonder' on 2 large shopping channels here
    We would never use an additive in a car again, as been said above - if you have a yearly service, your car
    should be more than OK

Don Alaska and Thomas Stearn like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I seriously doubt we'd use any kind of oil additive, since our oil is of synthetic blend type.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I did once only because it was advertised like crazy. I thought my car (Cavalier) would be going from 0 to 60 when I stepped on the gas pedal. (funny) I was so naive back then.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was in high school. STP was the thing to use. I would put STP in my $30 cars and they seemed to run more smoothly and, in reality, they may have thickened the oil enough so that it didn't leak out as fast as it would otherwise do. I couldn't afford a good car, or to get the one I had fixed, but I could afford a can of STP. Other than that, I have used an additive a few times. Sometimes, it would seem that the car ran better but it was probably a placebo effect since any differences certainly weren't dramatic. I do put a tank of premium in my car once in awhile, especially when we are traveling long distances, but that's about it.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Out of curiosity, how does that tank of premium help when traveling a long distance?

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

There's no noticeable improvement but, then, the car runs fine on regular. I just read that it helps to extend the life of the car so I figure it doesn't hurt to that every now and then, particularly when I know that I am going to drive a thousand miles or more.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now that we only have one vehicle, the problem of flat tire and/or vehicle repair comes into view. A few weeks ago, wife had a flat tire on the freeway on her way home from work. Luckily I was able to get our complex manager to drive me over to her. "AAA to the rescue!!"
    As for a repair.........rent a car for a day or use a taxi to get to the shop when the repair is done? A taxi to our dealership would only be $13 (with tip), which is much cheaper than $49 a day for a rental.

Of course we no longer have the maintenance cost of our old Dodge truck or the insurance cost, but when we had it, it came in very useful as a second vehicle.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Since you have AAA, all you need to get help is to call them, and , even easier, use the cell phone app for AAA..
    The phone GPS tells them exactly where you are at, and the little map shows you where the tow truck is at, similar to calling an Uber driver.
    Much easier than it used to be.

14. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Have 2 vehicles both 4x4 pickups 1/2 and 3/4 ton gas and diesel love having a backup if need be

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, we know this, Yvonne. We've had our AAA Membership since 2004 and have had to use the towing a number of times as well as tire changing a few times.

But, when our Durango needs a repair, there's where we get stuck. No family and, unfortunately (or fortunately), no friends. We definitely hope that changes in Colorado...…..the "friends" part, that is.