Lest We Forget

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bobby Cole, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No matter what anyone thinks in regard to how it happened or who did it,
    256 people in four planes were killed.
    125 people at the Pentagon were killed.
    2606 people at the World Trade Center were killed.
    6000 people in all were injured.

On September 11, 2001, four planes affected the lives of nearly everyone in civilized society in the entire world and radically changed the whole of the United States as we knew it.

Just as I know nothing of the happenings of December 7, 1941 when Pearl Harbor was bombed, those graduating high school this year know nothing of the morning of September 11, 2001 and that’s the way most major media outlets would like to keep it ....or so it seems.
    In a land whereby a fictional game of war is at the very fingertips of those who like to play games on their computers, the non-fictional scenes of the twin towers being struck by planes and their eventual demise is too harsh, too mentally conflicting to be shown by our media any longer.

The truth is, it happened. Life changed, I changed.
    We found that America was and is no longer safe from those who would wish to destroy us.

On that morning, I felt rage, fear and sorrow all at the same time. ...I cried.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

The day the western world cried.....:(...so hard to believe it was 17 years ago.....

9-11.jpg

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I seriously remember that morning. Wife and I got up to get ready for work, turned on the tv just as an airline was going into the trade center. I called SIL (wife's sister) and told her what happened and she said "oh Cody, you're just joking around like you do so much". I told her to turn on her tv. She did and definitely found out that I wasn't joking.

We both went to work, but nobody was talking about what had happened, but the radio was on over an intercom broadcasting what had happened. Guess folks were just in shock at what had just happened.

I remember that, for, I don't know how long, people were flying the small clip-on American Flag on their vehicle window. Also remember that ever rodeo we went to during that time, before the Grand Entry, a Flag Girl was riding a horse around the arena, holding the American Flag and God Bless The U.S.A. was playing (by Lee Greenwood).

Thomas Stearn and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Let's keep the conspiracy stuff in the Conspiracies section, please. This is a remembrance thread.

6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that everybody can remember what they were doing when the events hit the headlines. In Germany all running radio and TV programs were interrupted by information about NY. I was driving home from work in the afternoon at about 3:30 pm and was in the city center listening to music when the program was interrupted with precisely these words: "The world is holding its breath. The NY twin towers...." There was an immediate call-in and the first caller said: " What we're witnessing is the outbreak of the third world war." I'm glad that that did not turn out to be true. I then spent the rest of the day watching the news and all the TV specials.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was watching "Little House in the Prairie" reruns on one of the off-channels that run shows in syndication. My wife was away somewhere. They didn't break into the show with the news, so I didn't know about it until our daughter called from Fayetteville, where she was in the Army. At that time, the first tower had been hit but the second had not yet been hit.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I was in a training session at work, and the TV was turned on and we watched in horror. I remember thinking, as I watched the firemen filing into the buildings, They are not going to be able to put those fires out!

Thomas Stearn and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I was driving through a really remote part of the county , and had the radio on and it didn't have a great signal, and I just caught something about a serious plane crash.. oddly I looked up through the windscreen into the sky above me, (why I did that I don't know) .. but I was presuming something had happened in London. ..2 minutes later my daughter rang me from work and told me that a plane had smashed into the ESB.. but there were no reports of casualties. Well as we all know that was to change very quickly...

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

One of the most powerful and beautiful speeches President D. Trump has ever given.........

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Very emotive...thanks Bobby!!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks, @Bobby Cole . He is quite a good speaker if you get to hear entire speeches. The media always seem to take things he says out of context to make him sound loony. Thankfully, they elected not to do it here.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Bobby. What a great tribute!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Families of Flight 93 victims and officials stand at the base of the Tower of Voices

[​IMG]

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There is one last thing I would like to add: Something we Americans should never get tired of nor complacent in our own renderings...……..