Left Or Right... Right Or Wrong

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was very very young my parents noticed I was using my left hand- instead of my right.
    Myth, not sure, but back in their time this was a bad sign. So they would wack my hand until I learned to use my right.
    Three years later my brother was born and at about three used his left hand...at least noticeably to them. He was left alone to grown up left handed...but also used the right hand.
    Were any of you ever in this position? Left handed people supposdly are smarter and quicker. Do you feel cheated ?
    I think my parents were wrong in making me right handed. But that's just the way things were back then.I do feel a bit cheated.
    I bring this up for a reason I will go into later....probably in my Blast from the past thread...soon as I find the right words.
    Let me know if you were ever exposed to this or other ole wives tale type stuff.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My son is left handed ...and while my old school husband who grew up in Hungary wanted to force him to use his right hand I didn't let him.

He's smart and talented but so is my daughter who always preferred right hand.

Now that I'm thinking about it...both are dentists and both have done work on my teeth...my daughter stands to the right of me and my son to the left.

He does do some things with his right hand though...he was a left handed pitcher in HS but he hit with his right...wasn't that great a hitter but a great pitcher! :)

My son is also talented in Art, my daughter can barely draw a stick figure. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm right handed only. Nobody wants to see my writing from my left hand, even though I can basically do it.

Anyway, I'm right handed and pretty smart...…...on some things anyway, like rodeo, horses and some photography.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny how most of us are right handed - what's the point of the left, it doesn't do much does it
    Don't believe one hand is smarter than the other either ……………… [​IMG]

5. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

One thing I have noticed is that so many creative people tend to be left handed. Coincidence?

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a brother who is left-handed. I referred to it as wrong-handed, telling him that there is right and then there is wrong. He would curl his hand in an unnatural position in order to write. It looked painful. That's probably why he learned to type early.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My left handed son is more creative than my right handed daughter but that's only two people I know to make any assumptions.

I think they do say the left handed people are more creative but I don't know if it's been proven 100%....I doubt it.

My maternal grandfather was artistic and right handed so maybe my son inherited his talent and has nothing to do with being left handed...just a coincidence.

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

I think its coincidence - not seen it - not that I've paid much attention either
    You're either gifted - or you aint :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm just basing it on actors I've seen in films and some friends who are artistically talented.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Fair enough Jane - its a big world out there though, so my guess is 50/50

Chrissy Cross and Jane Smith like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As I remember Latin:
    Right-Dexter
    Left-Sinister

12. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm lefthanded and when I started school they tried to force me into being righthanded, they failed.

I'm one of those people that curls my hand around when I write and it was inconvenient when I used a pencil because the side of my hand would get covered in graphite.

It has been a little inconvenient being lefthanded but I know more about being lefthanded than I do about being righthanded so I'm fine with it.

The worst thing that I remember about being lefthanded was learning to use a pump shotgun, I only had to eject one shell to fully understand the disadvantage of being lefthanded.

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beatrice Taylor
    Even worse, a Bullpup design shotgun which places the trigger forward of the operating mechanism, ejects the spent shell (in the case of a semi-automatic) right agaibnst the left cheek!

The Austrian firearms firm Steyr, designing such a short rifle for their military, provided optional bolts and an ejection "window" on either side: it's called the Steyr Aug.

High Standard 10-B Bullpup shotgun. Note window location:

• [​IMG]
    Steyr Aug Bullpup rifle: window on this side for right-handed use, another not visible on other side for lefties. The stock is high impact plastic for both arms shown.

• [​IMG]

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok..so what none of you were made to use your right hand except for one of you ?
    None of you were subject to any other type of myth or old wives tale way of doing things ? Trying to stay focused here on my orginal questions.:)

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.