Leaky Veins In The Legs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, May 12, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A while back, my doctor had me go for an echo scan of my legs, because I had that blood clot in my leg and in my lungs a year or so ago. When I went in for the EKG yesterday, he went over the results of ultrasound on my legs, and it turns out that part of the reason that my knee is swollen and hurts when I bend it is because I have what is called "leaky veins" in my legs.
    He said that some leakage is fairly normal, especially for older people; but mine is way, way too high. The amount is supposed to show under 500 (of whatever they are measuring) and mine was around 900 in the left leg (my "good" one) and over 2,000 in the right leg, with the worst part being right behind my right knee.
    This is why my knee gets so stiff and swollen that I end up literally lurching along like the Frankenstein monster, instead of a normal walk.
    Even at best, I can't bend the knee very much, and there is also a lot of arthritis deterioration there.
    He is going to have me wear compression stockings which are supposed to help the swelling, and force the blood in the veins to go back up to the heart, and not leak out or flow backwards.
    I have been reading more about this condition, and walking is also supposed to help, as well as elevating my legs. So, sitting in the recliner is good because it gets my legs up higher.
    He said it might need something called vein-stripping; but hopefully, just wearing the compression stockings will help enough, and I am going to try and get more walking in each day.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/chronic-venous-insufficiency

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith ... truly hope you get better soon... we gotta have those knees!