Latest Thing -- Stomping On The American Flag!

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Yvonne Smith, May 8, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The latest challenge on social media is apparently for people to take the American flag and stomp on it. This is just totally disgusting, and I am shocked that our country has come to this !
    I know that America (and most of the rest of the world) is going through a hard time right now, and the riots are already no way to deal with any kind of a situation; many of us have lost faith in our not-so-fearless leaders, and political corruption seems to be everywhere.
    However, none of that is any kind of an excuse for Americans to trample our very flag underfoot. I thought that defacing the American flag was a criminal activity; but up until recently; so was burning down buildings and trashing out cars.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/05/03/new-social-media-challenge-stomp-american-flag

Pat Davis and Brittany Houser like this.
  2. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

It SHOULD be considered criminal, but I think it's covered under their 1st. Amendment right to free speech, however the heck that works. I get so tired of these people with entitlement issues, trashing the very system that allows them to trash it! I think it would help if they got off their a**es and went to work every day!

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Brittany Houser likes this.
  4. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, we put up with so much in this country under the notion of free speech, I just feel like this is on par with a hate crime, hate against all things American. You know if you don't like America you don't have to live here, go someplace else.

It seems like all sorts of crazy things are happening in this country these days, but I heard something on the radio the other day that helps to really put it all in perspective. It does feel like the media is had picking certain things and running with it. This is especially true with social media where the goal seems to be to get as many followers as you can, to be viral. Maybe the hope is to be a Kardasian? the point is these pieces are not necessarily a true reflection of the whole state of things here in America. Yes there are bad guys doing bad things, and stupid people just proving they are stupid. Just don't be fooled into thinking thats the way things really are, because then the only solution is something akin to censorship. As great as technology is, it is only as good as the way it is used. We have so much to learn yet.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Growing up with a Dad and Uncle who served in WWII, I learned to love and respect the Flag. I fly it still, for those reasons,and it is my personal statement. I believe it is a powerful statement in today's world! The flag-stomping and flag-burning acts are done for "shock-value" and come and go in cycles. This positive power of respecting, and displaying the Flag, lasts a life-time and on into the next generation. I, along with many others, are examples of that.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Pat Davis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I totally agree with all of you concerning the honor that should be afforded the flag. I come from a family of servicemen. My father, brother, sister, nephews, niece, husband, and son were all in one or another of the different branches of American service.

But I also believe that throughout history, we have had desenters and just plain stupid people that couldn't see past their own needs. Much less understand that our country deserves respect, and that includes it's sometimes disfunctional government.

I also remember in the '60's and '70's, that our youth were wearing the American flag as clothing, and burning it in protest to a war.

Do I think that was alright? No. But, we survived that as well.

Joe Riley, Pat Davis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Ina :) Feeling proud of our country is now looked down on as arrogance by some. I'm looking forward to the time we can show pride in our country, and hang a flag, without it offending other's, in the new order of political correctness. A big Thanks to your family member's military service to our country...Bless them! :)

8. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

It is totally pathetic and there should be a law against it. And I imagine that these idiots who do this will be the first in line to ask for help when they need something from the USA!

9. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

All right, that is downright ridiculous. I don't care what our personal feelings are about the United States and the Federal Government at this point, show respect to the American Flag. Old Glory represents this country, its the symbol of our freedom. It has stood as a symbol since the Revolutionary War, this flag is rich in American History, its stands for what is good in this country. To me anyone being seen doing this should be fined for vandalism. Sorry, this isn't a protest its disrepect,at least this is how I see it. To say that showing American Pride is arrogant then fine call me arrogant because I am still proud to be an American even if the country has problems. I don't even like it when someone burn the flag yet this is suppose to be the proper way in which to dispose of it when it becomes too old, but I don't like to see it be done.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hannah Davis, as a young teenager I too felt disgruntled the first time I saw a flag being burnt because it was old.
    I have five flags that were presented to our family upon the death of a service member. In my family they have become a symbol of pride showing our family's belief in this country. One of my grandsons, (he was in the Marines), has asked if he can care for the small collection. So I will be turning it over on the Fourth of July.

I know there is a greater number of families that honor our country than there are desenters.

When a larger portion our country come to see that the media is leading us around by our noses just because they see $$$ in the shock value of sensationalizing the desenters, we may be able to curtail them somewhat. I'll be crossing my fingers that it will happen soon.

11. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though protected by the First Amendment, burning or disrespecting our flag rubs me the wrong way.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Damaged American flags should be disposed of by respectfully burning or burying them. The key word is respectfully.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Dispose-of-a-Damaged-American-Flag
    One reason they should not be flown 24 hours a day, is because the elements are so destructive to the fabric. I have seen flags that have been neglected and forgotten, still flying in a damaged condition.
    [​IMG]

14. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

those that burned it should be "respectfully" disposed of