Laramie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

On Starz, I'm binge-watching a (1959-1963) series that I don't think I've seen since it was broadcast live, and have forgotten about. Laramie ran for four seasons.

For the first couple of seasons, Robert Crawford Jr. had a regular part in the show, playing the 14-year-old brother of the owner of the circa 1870s Wyoming ranch that was the setting for the show. They take in a gunman, who befriends them, and I guess the older brother and the gunman are the main protagonists. I'm only on the second episode right now. He's fourteen when the series begins, and his character is fourteen, but he looks a lot younger to me.

Robert Crawford Jr. is Johnny Crawford's older brother, who was playing a very similar part (Mark) on The Rifleman at the same time since The Rifleman aired from 1958-1963. Johnny Crawford was 12-years-old when The Rifleman began, so the two are about a year apart in age. The two brothers were nominated for Best Supporting Actor in the same year. Although Robert Crawford Jr. had a whole lot more lines than Johnny Crawford did in the earlier episodes, they dumped him after two seasons, sending his character off to boarding school.

Oddly, the first episode is shown in color, but the second episode is in black-and-white, so I don't know what's up with that.

Holly Saunders and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven't found an explanation for it, but did find out:

Laramie was first aired on Sept 15th 1959. There were 124 episodes, and it ran for 4 years.
    Of the 124 episodes, 64 were in black & white and 60 were in colour.

Ken Anderson and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved Laramie when I was a child. I didn't get to see it every week, but I loved all those type of western shows....

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.