Laptop Is Probably Dead But Today I Got A Notebook

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Babs Hunt, May 22, 2018.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the reasons I have not been on here very often is because my laptop decided to start having a mind of its own. I never knew when I woke up each morning whether it was going to let me in to get on the Internet or not. This had been going on for a month or two but other things were happening before that started too. My dvd/cd player on my laptop would not work anymore when it had been working just fine since the day I bought my laptop.

This past week it has refused to let me in at all and even though I did everything I could to try to change that...nothing would work. I was totally frustrated with not being able to get online and realized that although I can do without a lot of tech things...a computer is not one of those things. I called my oldest daughter who is very tech savvy when it comes to computers and told her what has been happening with my laptop and she believes it is on its deathbed...but I brought it to her home this morning and she is going to see if there is anything she can do to bring it back to life.

After I dropped it off at her house I took a trip to Walmart to check out the laptops, tablets, etc. And I found the cutest bright purple Notebook by HP with a white keyboard and a lovely price too. So I used my Birthday and Mother's Day money my daughters had blessed me with and here I am online again and very happy to be here. My Notebook even talks out loud to me...I haven't figured that out yet but I'm just getting started exploring the things on it.

I'll let y'all know if my daughter can bring my laptop back to life...but it's not looking good for that at this time.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Good to have you back, @Babs Hunt .

Computers are wonderful when they work but they are a royal pain in the you know what when they don't.

3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember saying to,my daughter if it gets to the stage your fed up,with your computer beacuse it’s playing up ..just make sure the glass doors open before you chuck it out the door .. 3D81090C-59FD-4830-8F79-A61CE5259261.gif

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though I'm not computer savvy...I usually can figure out how to do the things I want to do on it and fix it when it is giving me problems...but not this time. :(

5. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i have a samsung chromebook and i love it

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If all I needed a computer for was Facebook, the forum, and other websites, as well as email, I think a notebook would serve me just fine.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_0171.JPG

I definitely love my new Notebook...it's so compact and cute! :) And so far it is working just fine for everything I need to do online. I do miss my touch screen though.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Since school has only been out for a few days I don't expect to hear anything about my Laptop from my teacher daughter for awhile. I hope if nothing else we can find a way to save my pictures on my Laptop but if we can't then I am thankful most of my favorite ones are on Facebook or shared on my daughters computers so I will be able to get most of those.

I used to save all the pictures I took on CD's but stopped doing that a few years ago when my daughters, etc. started taking a lot of the same pictures with their phones. Since up until that time they dubbed me the Family picture taker but I was no longer needed in that capacity when they started using their phone cameras which often took better pics than my camera did.

I really miss my touch screen here on the Notebook I have now. I find my fingers going to the screen to make things happen but of course nothing does. I also am getting used to the keyboard keys being closer together. I miss my laptop in some ways but the Notebook gets me where I want to go and so far I am not having any problems using it...so I'm thankful just to be able to get online and do my thing.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Whenever my wife tries to show me something on my computer, she smears up my screen with her fingers because she's used to a touchscreen, and mine isn't. I wouldn't want a touchscreen. As it is, I spend too much time cleaning the screen.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's funny but I never thought I would want a touch screen either...it just happened to come with the Laptop that I felt would be best for me. Once I started using the touch screen I ended up using it about as much as I used the keyboard, etc. and found it was a very useful part of my laptop.

After I got used to it I felt like I had a laptop and a tablet. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I also love the touchscreen on my iPad, and with the attached keyboard, it is almost like a small , lightweight laptop. I think that each person enjoys things in their own way, or sometimes, just what we are familiar with.
    It is totally impossible for me to imagine ever going back to a desktop computer with a tower, keyboard, and mouse, because this is so much simpler for me to use; but I know that some people here prefer their desktop, and are more comfortable with that kind of computer.
    We do not even have any kind of an office room anymore; but I remember when Bobby and I each had our own computers, either set up in the same room together, or we had separate rooms with our computer in it.
    Now, we just enjoy the comfort of the easy chairs in our living room, or in the nice weather, sometimes sit out on the front porch, and the ipads work anywhere and do everything we need online.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Update on my touch screen laptop that I thought had died. It has been brought back to life but she had to reset it and I did end up losing my pictures saved in Piscasso. And my daughter doesn't think it will last much longer....but I'm enjoying using the touch screen and bigger screen again wihen I play the Word game and post here, etc. I will not put anymore pictures on that I want to save but will just enjoy using it until it gives up the ghost completely. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

If you use a cloud program to store your photos, then you should not lose them, even if the laptop dies, @Babs Hunt . I have a lot of mine stored on Flickr, which is a Yahoo-based photo storage.
    However, I read recently that Flickr has been sold, and I am not sure what they will do with it now.
    Since I have Apple iCloud, all of my photos are backed up to that, and even if my ipad quit, or was lost, everything on the iPad, and all of the photos are still safe in the cloud.
    Google also has a photo storage option, and I imagine that there are probably many more as well, you just have to choose one that fits your needs.

Babs Hunt likes this.