Knowledge Of A Computer And The Programs

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How well do you know how to use a computer? If you have them, do use Excel and/or Word? Do you have a Photo Editing Software and use it? How fast our your keyboard typing skills? How about using the 10-Key to the right of the keyboard (that's where it's at on our keyboard)?

Do you do an Anti-Virus Scan yourself or set it up so it's done automatically? Do you run the Update part to get updates? What about Defragging your system.

How much do you use the Internet?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I used to do all that when I only had a computer, my typing was about 45 wpm without looking at the keyboard.

Now I'm just on an iPad or iPhone ..that's enough for me for what I do on the internet.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, here are my answers:

How well do you know how to use a computer?
    Been using one since 1989, so I guess I know how to use one.

Use Excel and/or Word?
    Use both. in Excel, make spreadsheets for vehicle, boat repairs/maintenance, blood glucose testing results, blood pressure and weight results.
    Use Word for different things.

Photo Editing Software?
    Have both Windows 10 Photo Editing and another photo editing software I use for all photos taken with iPhone and camera.

How fast on the keyboard am I?
    Doing an online typing test, I was around 80 wpm. Awfully good for a man! Took three years of typing in high school and used an electric typewriter to do my resume' before PC" came out.

10-Key?
    I'm ok on it, but was much fast when I use it for Inventory and Purchasing with the companies I use to work for.

Anti-Virus, Updates and Defrag?
    I run updates daily and run Anti-Virus Scan every Monday along with Defragging our system.

Use the Internet?
    Quite a bit to order stuff and research.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but my last boss (Supervisor/Director) was the "hunt and peck" type on the keyboard, but have to admit, he was a very fast "hunt and peck" person. Amazed me. Being the Head of the Materials Dept. (Shipping/Receiving/Inventory/Purchasing), he was definitely good on a computer. Actually, he was pretty amazed at how fast I got Orders (sent in to me from different Centers) off of the computer and back to the warehouse. That's when I was pretty descent on the 10-Key.

Now, my wife, being that she has spent so many years in Accounting, she is FAST on the 10-Key.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My first computer was a Coleco Adam, which I bought in 1984. I was the treasurer of a Grace Brethren Church at the time and the church bought a Coleco Adam, and I bought my own shortly afterward. The Coleco Adam used a cassette tape rather than floppy disks. It came with a word processing program, a couple of games, and a programming compiler. In order to do anything with it, other than use it as a glorified typewriter or to play games, it was necessary to learn how to program. The programming language that was packaged with it was called Smart Basic, which was similar to Basic Plus.

My second computer was a Tandy Radio Shack computer, known as the TRS-80. There wasn't available in the way of software, so it was necessary to learn to program. I learned C++ and became good enough that I wrote a billing and data collection program for the ambulance company I was working for. Once the information from a run report was entered into the program, it would automatically print out the billing, including 2nd and 3rd notices. It would print out pretty much any statistics that I needed, and I was even able to get it to connect to the state database so that we could send our required information to them electronically rather than prepare them by hand. Later, I wrote tutorials for the EMT-Basic, Intermediate, and Paramedic level that I sold as shareware, mostly through computer BBS systems. I ran a BBS system from my house. If you're not familiar with a BBS, they were the precursor to the Internet.

I used to know computers well enough that I could build my own, replace parts, or upgrade them. Not so much anymore, perhaps because I use a Mac now and you don't have to do any of that stuff.

I have used Excel and Word, but not for a long time. My all-time favorite was WordStar, and I hated it when they discontinued it. I knew most of the short-cuts for it. When I went to work for the college, I had to learn WordPerfect, but never liked it much. I currently have Scrivener and keep it up-to-date, but haven't done much with it.

When I used a PC, I had Photoshop, but I never did learn to do anything really fancy with it. Rather than buying the expensive thing again for a Mac, I have been using Pixelmator, mostly. Still, nothing fancy.

The last time I took a test in typing, which was in 2008, my typing speed was over 100 words per minute, adjusted for errors. I was thinking about going to work as a transcriptionist so they tested me. I was offered the job but had already found something else.

I used to use the number keys, to the right of the regular keyboard, quite a bit but since the standard Mac keyboard doesn't have that, I have gotten out of the habit. My new retro keyboard does have it, but I haven't been using it. I don't really do much with numbers anymore, anyhow.

My anti-virus scans automatically. I also use the option to update programs automatically too, although not all of them are set up for that. Any that I buy through the Apple Store will flag me when they need to be updated if they don't update automatically. There's no need to defrag a Mac, as they don't allow programs to become fragmented in the first place. I do have a utility program that I run every now and then that will clean caches and perform other maintenance chores.

Most days, I am on the Internet from the time I get up until the time that I go to bed, and sometimes even after I go to bed.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I’d definitely say, you know computers!