Knitting

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jeanee Burke, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:01 PM.

1. Jeanee Burke

Jeanee Burke Member
    Registered

I am thinking of taking up knitting or crocheting. Seems like it's a rather inexpensive hobby. Any other knitters out there?

My mom was great at knitting and a perfectionist, too. So she really made some remarkable things.

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I enjoy both knitting and crocheting, especially in the winter when the weather is cold and dreary, and a person can't really do much out in the yard. I think we might have some threads here in the hobby section by others in the forum who enjoy this kind of easy pastime.
    I like to make small projects that I can finish easily, like socks and slippers, and little throw rugs.

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  3. Jeanee Burke

Jeanee Burke Member
    Registered

I will probably make things that I can finish easily, too. I guess I can probably get info. on Amazon.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Wish I could knit but moreso wish I could make my own clothes :)

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I can knit and crochet, but I don't do it any more, I get bored with it too quickly!!.. I'm typically a very impatient person so that probably has something to do with it...

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I knit. I learned the basic garter stitch, casting on and off when I was 7 or 8 and that's all I knew how to do until my early 40's. I bought one of those teach yourself to knit books and learned to purl (which I hated at first, I felt like I was knitting backwards) and other stitches. Free things on YouTube and tons of free patterns on Ravelry.

Jeanee Burke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Someone tried to teach me to knit once...and as long as I could just knit a straight piece I didn't do to bad. But the time in my life that my friend was trying to teach me knitting was just a season to full of raising my own kids and taking care of other kids with a Home Day Care I started in our home so I found I just never really got into knitting.

My friend also taught my daughters and me Cross Stitching which I did find we all enjoyed and gave us something to share together.

I like to sew baby quilts and blankets most of all.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

My grandmother taught me knitting and embroidery when I was young...I enjoyed it when I visited her. I taught myself to crochet and did that in my 20's and 30's but after that I never did any of those things again.

I did try crocheting awhile back but just couldn't get into it.

When my grandsons were babies those homemade blankets where you just cut and knotted the ends were popular and I did a few of those but I really don't enjoying doing sewing type crafts....at least not for a very long time.

@Babs Hunt ...I could only knit straight things also....my first project was an ugly scarf for my hubby for Valentine's Day.

He wore it though...out of love ❤️

Jeanee Burke likes this.
  9. Jeanee Burke

Jeanee Burke Member
    Registered

Thank you for the information on YouTube and Ravelry. This is the first I have heard of Ravelry. I knitted when I was very young, too, but forgot how.:D